What do you use to cut granite?

Dano123

My dad gave me a piece of granite that he got from a friend. It is a very nice piece that is perfect for a counter top down at my patio. The only problem is there is a small piece on the back corner that I need to trim off. It must have wrapped around the wall or something since it is just a 2" x 2" nub that is rounded.  I just want to cut this off flush and I have never worked with granite.  What tools are normally used to cut it and is there a cheap alternative to make 1 cut?  I wasn't sure how a masonry blade in a circular saw or a grinder would work?  When I install it this side will be against the wall. 

I've only drilled holes through granite using diamond hole saws, keep it wet as I go. A diamond blade on angle grinder would work, I can't imagine that would be a problem, just keep it wet as you go, a spray bottle maybe.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-turbo-wet-dry-masonry-diamond-blade-68889.html

Has anyone tried one of these on a grinder?  One of the reviews says they used a grinder, but I have a hard time trusting reviews. I just need to make one cut so I don't want to spend a ton of money if I don't have to.

19 hours ago, Fazzman said:

Grinder with a diamond wheel should do it. As long as you are using a diamond wheel/blade and some water you should be good to go.

Yeah my fuel grinder goes through bricks and stone like nothing with a diamond wheel. It's kinda surprising the first time you slice stone with a grinder; you brace yourself for a hard slog and it just slices it like nothing. Just try to do it all outside, it makes tons of dust...

• Like 2

I remember as a kid, in the 60's my father had a gas powered floor cutter, concrete, asphalt, wood anything really.....they had a water hose built right in to cut down dust....something like this ....

myijiY2u_HEq3iPEIOFIV6A.jpg

• Like 1

I would NOT buy a grinder blade from HF, going cheap on a grinder blade is asking for injury. Please do not buy a HF grinder blade man, I don't want to see a pic of you with a shard of diamond blade in your arm.

I don't know how HD sells that blade soo cheap and has it with good reviews. Reviews say it's a good blade and it's cheap, that's what I'd buy...but I'm still hesitant.

• Like 2

I would NOT buy a grinder blade from HF, going cheap on a grinder blade is asking for injury. Please do not buy a HF grinder blade man, I don't want to see a pic of you with a shard of diamond blade in your arm.

I don't know how HD sells that blade soo cheap and has it with good reviews. Reviews say it's a good blade and it's cheap, that's what I'd buy...but I'm still hesitant.

100% agree. I would go with hd with the correct rpm rating corresponding to the grinder rpm. Use a face shield and thick leather gloves as well.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 1

"It won't happen to me..." I am kidding, I am cautious normally. The only face shield I ever use is my auto welding helmet though. Might not be a bad time to buy one. I would like to point out these are steel blades and not cutting discs. I use dewalt cutting discs for my grinder.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

"It won't happen to me..." I am kidding, I am cautious normally. The only face shield I ever use is my auto welding helmet though. Might not be a bad time to buy one. I would like to point out these are steel blades and not cutting discs. I use dewalt cutting discs for my grinder.

Steel blades are fine. The likelihood that a steel blade will shatter is virtually zero. If you only plan on doing one cut, get a HF blade. Save the cash.

• Like 1

f30a89255fbc7bf7c1d07df96bae8d1d.jpg

I bought this blade yesterday because it said stone on the front. I was just reading the back and it looks like they suggest the continuous blade for granite? Should I return this or will it work for 1 cut?