Garage Reorganization Project

tugnut1

We have been living in our house now for about 11 years.  The garage has always been a bit of a sore spot for me.  I've really never taken the time to properly set it up.  I have assed hung things up with peg board and added to it as I went along.  Oh, I hate peg board.  This has led to much of the kids' toys to spill out of their bins and right on the floor by my garage tool box and work areas.  I quickly get frustrated if I don't have a trip free area to work in.

Last week, I decided to tackle this garage organization issue.  I spent a Sunday removing everything from my garage and putting it back one piece at a time so that like items were next to like items.  (did I mention that I removed almost all of the peg boards from my garage---free at last!)  I was able to finish two of the three walls.  On one wall, all of my garden tools, air compressor, Ego equipment, generator, tool box, and work bench now reside.  On the wall opposite the garage door now has out lawn chairs, another work bench with top cabinets and some extention cords.

That just leaves the kids toys and grill.  The grill is a no brainer, shove against a wall.

For the toys, I have decided to build a couple 5 foot cabinets, a place for basketballs and one more small cabinet.  Since my house was built in 1960 and all the walls are rock lathe with plaster covering it, none of the walls are consistently flat.  So, instead of building the cabinets individually and then tying them together, I decided to build it as one single unit as I go.  Both ways have their issues, but with the walls the way they are, this way seemed to work pretty well.

Here is the wall that I was dealing with.  I don't have the time or desire to spruce up the patches and paint, so I will live with it.

1.jpg

Here was my work setup for the day.  I used three sheets of 3/4 inch plywood for the cabinets.

2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Here is the basic cabinet setup.  For the basketballs, I actually used a 5 inch hole saw to cut the recess so the balls won't move around.5.jpg6.jpg

One the first day, I got the bulk of the work done and put some of the junk out of my way for now.

7.jpg8.jpg

I still need to face frame the unit, add doors and some shelves.  I can't wait to have this done, but looking at my schedule for this week, I doubt it will happen any time soon.

Let me know what you think or what I should have done differently.  I am always looking for ways to improve my storage solutions.

• Like 12

Just now, JimboS1ice said:

Personally I hate peg board myself but in some places it actually is pretty functional

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree it has its place but not in my shop.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JimboS1ice said:

DUH!!! It says fuel on it lol

Um, are we being sarcastic to me for some reason? I was making a plug point for him using Milwaukee. And I thought you were team RED? How dare you mock me! You are off the Christmas card list mister!!! 

• Like 4

No help from me, I've already reorganized my garage enough to last a lifetime, and it never stops. Soon you'll realize that every time you go out there, you're gonna find something that needs to go over there, and this thing is better off over here, and these can go in the attic, and that thing should be there with those things, and I can put these screws with those and these nuts shouldn't be here, and what the hell am I keeping this for, and I totally forgot I was working on that, and...

Yup, it never ends

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Good idea on the ball storage shelves.

For the items you had on the pegboard, whats your new storage solution for those items?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

For my smaller garden tools, safety glasses and some small hand tools, they will still reside on the pegboard above the large work bench.  The other peg boards were used for larger items and they just were a pain in the ass.  For my shoves and larger tools, if you look at the pictures above, I attached a couple pieces of plywood to the walls and then hung items from them.

7 hours ago, Glasseyi said:

Looks real nice John, that Fuel circular works nice ah!

I really like the convience of the 7-1/4" fuel saw.  It works great.  Its hard on the batteries, but powerful.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Kato said:

No help from me, I've already reorganized my garage enough to last a lifetime, and it never stops. Soon you'll realize that every time you go out there, you're gonna find something that needs to go over there, and this thing is better off over here, and these can go in the attic, and that thing should be there with those things, and I can put these screws with those and these nuts shouldn't be here, and what the hell am I keeping this for, and I totally forgot I was working on that, and...

Yup, it never ends

I remember seeing your garage reorgs on the other site.  You did a great job on it.  

Hey Kato, I just bought a Canon 70D with a couple of lenses.  I love it so far.

looks good tugnut! ive supposedly been working on mine for the past 2 months lol but with work and my kids in sports its been hard, the kiddos will be done in a bout month or so and vaca is coming up soon so hopefully ill get all my to do projects done! Thank for sharing pics tug!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bigmikez said:

looks good tugnut! ive supposedly been working on mine for the past 2 months lol but with work and my kids in sports its been hard, the kiddos will be done in a bout month or so and vaca is coming up soon so hopefully ill get all my to do projects done! Thank for sharing pics tug!

I'm right there with you bud.  We have games and practices all week this week plus the weekend tournament for travel softball.  I'm hoping to steal enough time here and there to have it complete by the weekend.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Glasseyi said:

Um, are we being sarcastic to me for some reason? I was making a plug point for him using Milwaukee. And I thought you were team RED? How dare you mock me! You are off the Christmas card list mister!!! 

No christmas card??? Im so deep in team red my yellow tools are running for the hills! And me?? Have Sarcasm?? NOOOOO..... lol

• Like 2

looks good bro,I love them centipede tool supports you are using i really wanna get one of those to use as table leg setup.

I am always keeping my garage cleaned up since its my man cave area. I currently have one wall ready to build up some shelving of somekind. One wall is dedicated to tools and tool storage.

Up front I have washer and dryer,sadly no "laundry room" I do have a nice lazy boy couch to chill on thou.

another thing you might consider is covering up that Window so folks cant see in there easily. Rust oleum makes a frosted paint for glass that works great

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tugnut1 said:

I remember seeing your garage reorgs on the other site.  You did a great job on it.  

Hey Kato, I just bought a Canon 70D with a couple of lenses.  I love it so far.

Good camera, once you get to know it and practice I'm sure you'll be putting out photos to rival mine.

Which won't be too hard, I'm not that good... :P

I don't know how far along the photos got, but from the first re-organizing/remodel, the garage is completely different now. After diddling with trying to fit both cars in the whole thing looks like a totally different garage.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys.  Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this thread.  We are right in the middle of Little League ball for the kids and travel softball for my daughter.  Not much extra time for the next couple months.

Anyway, I got around to finishing the garage cabinets.  I am very pleased with almost all of it.  The only thing I don't like are the knobs for the doors.  They were  knobs I repurposed from cabinets that I tore out of this house.  I figured that the cabinets are in  the garage and I shouldn't spend money on something like that.  They may end up bothering me so much that I  change them out, but for now, they are what they are.

I added a few adjustable shelves.  I made the peg holes using some old peg board I tore out of the garage.  That is the one real good use I have for peg board.

The doors are free floating panels made of luen.  I cut the panels too short and you can see from one picture that the panel has a gap at the top.  Not to fear, its a simple fix.  When I get around to it, I will cut a small strip of luen and place it below the panel.  I will need to take the doors apart, but since I used some simple pocket screws, it will be super easy and quick to do.

20160516_171354.jpg20160516_171427.jpg20160516_171446.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/2/2016 at 10:08 AM, Fazzman said:

looks good bro,I love them centipede tool supports you are using i really wanna get one of those to use as table leg setup.

I am always keeping my garage cleaned up since its my man cave area. I currently have one wall ready to build up some shelving of somekind. One wall is dedicated to tools and tool storage.

Up front I have washer and dryer,sadly no "laundry room" I do have a nice lazy boy couch to chill on thou.

another thing you might consider is covering up that Window so folks cant see in there easily. Rust oleum makes a frosted paint for glass that works great

Hey guys, speaking of which, they say Centipede larger ones are going up in price. They are $99 at lowes, but they said they wont be at that price much longer.. . FYI

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Hey guys, speaking of which, they say Centipede larger ones are going up in price. They are $99 at lowes, but they said they wont be at that price much longer.. . FYI

Thanks for the heads up,I'll have to complain to them about that.

• 2 weeks later...