Is the coin cell in new tool connect tools a potential problem?

Buck

I bought one of the newest tools that has bluetooth Tool Connect capability. The tool has a coin cell in it that supplies power while disconnected from the battery. The manual says the battery is not user replaceable and can only be replaced at a service center. 

What happens in a few years when this battery goes bad? Will the drill stop working completely?  Just tool connect?

I buy tools expecting them to last 30 or more years (yes really). I'm worried about the long term effect of having this hidden battery. 

I'm sure it's just not still under warranty if it's serviced by the user, but it is unlikely that the coin cell dies before the warranty is out. Your desktop computer has a coin cell in it to preserve certain memory states while unplugged, yet you don't see those going out left and right. You'll be fine until warranty is up and then they're will be dozens of YouTube videos on how to replace it yourself.

If you really want to buy a tool that will last 30 years I would stay away from anything that requires an app to change the settings.  Computer technology just evolves and changes so fast.  I can't imagine using a computer from the 80s or even the 90s today and in a lot of cases even if you wanted to things just aren't compatible.  This is one of the problems I see with some of the technology that they're putting into power tools.  I think in the end it will cut into the long term life of the tools.

• Like 2