What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

I picked up these Irwin Speedbors last night at Menards. It is a 1" and a 1-1/4". They were $7.99, so I couldn't pass them up. I don't have a specific plan as of now, but once I get into more timber work I know that they'll come in handy.

FB82

irwin.JPG

• Like 2

Got a good deal on the Brymen BM257s (same as Greenlee DM-510) because it was soo well recommended from the cult of EEVB...yeah, I hate it. Soo many annoyances that were very apparent to me, guess it's just not for guys that use their meters all the time, use all the features and/or use them on-site instead of in a lab. It would be good for a mechanic or around the house. The leads are very good though and I like the screen.

dAs74sN.jpg

Worked 45+ hours over the past 70, so I splurged yesterday and got the DCD996.  Mine is well worn, and may have some clutch/speed issues, but seems mostly decent.  Paid $75 at a local pawn shop with a new DCB115 charger and an almost new 2Ah battery, so I think it was worth it.  Now I need the DCF887!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, fm2176 said:

Worked 45+ hours over the past 70, so I splurged yesterday and got the DCD996.  Mine is well worn, and may have some clutch/speed issues, but seems mostly decent.  Paid $75 at a local pawn shop with a new DCB115 charger and an almost new 2Ah battery, so I think it was worth it.  Now I need the DCF887!

Got both, they're nice machines. Not keen on the push towards compact drills, I prefer a bit of projection with the chuck, so that it sticks out further from the drill than the battery. Otherwise, all good. Definitely worth getting a larger battery than the 2 amp. 

32 minutes ago, Tug said:

Got both, they're nice machines. Not keen on the push towards compact drills, I prefer a bit of projection with the chuck, so that it sticks out further from the drill than the battery. Otherwise, all good. Definitely worth getting a larger battery than the 2 amp. 

I've got plenty plenty of batteries, but have yet to get the Flexvolt or 20v 6Ah ones.  At last count I had two 5Ah, five or more 4Ah, and at least six 2Ah.  While I use the USB charger, ToughSystem radio, Bluetooth speaker, and lights more than the actual tools, it's nice having enough batteries to keep one near most tools.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, fm2176 said:

I've got plenty plenty of batteries, but have yet to get the Flexvolt or 20v 6Ah ones.  At last count I had two 5Ah, five or more 4Ah, and at least six 2Ah.  While I use the USB charger, ToughSystem radio, Bluetooth speaker, and lights more than the actual tools, it's nice having enough batteries to keep one near most tools.

Ah, I'll shut up about batteries then! ;)

43 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

LOL, those end cutters are soo tempting, I have the 6" needle nose and those are damn nice pliers.

i was in the part of town where farm and fleet are. I got the last needle nose, 2nd to last end cutters and left the last pair of angled pliers. they didn't have any side cutters which was fine since i bought the other pair from lowes. 

son of a! Lowes just dropped the side cutters to $18! i paid $23 for them last week. ugh! check your local lowes people!

• Like 1

My other purchases. Bought 4 sets of ratchet/extension holders for my Ernst rails. Amazon lowered the price from $10 each to $2.00 no brainer there. Finally got my Bosch 12v rotory tool from Amazon uk. And a set of southwire wire strippers from Instagram. 18f4f32dcb6a700f2311cfc395e7ad27.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

That rotary is the tits! Love mine!

1 hour ago, rrich1 said:

i was in the part of town where farm and fleet are. I got the last needle nose, 2nd to last end cutters and left the last pair of angled pliers. they didn't have any side cutters which was fine since i bought the other pair from lowes. 

son of a! Lowes just dropped the side cutters to $18! i paid $23 for them last week. ugh! check your local lowes people!

Mine is at $18 too, thinking of picking up a second pair.

7 hours ago, Cr8ondt said:

Does it cut? drive screws? of make sawdust?

These are invaluable tools that allow me to perform a profession...a profession that I'm absolutely spectacular at. So blaaaah...neener neener neener.

• Like 3

DeWalt took too long and I needed a fan ASAP, after sweating profusely trying to sleep in my truck the past two nights (trainees are on bivouac).  So, off I went to Home Depot to buy the Ryobi.  Wanting something more substantial than the 1.3Ah battery that comes with the starter kit, I considered getting the $149 hammer drill kit, which would have put the purchase at just under $200, but with at least five DeWalt hammer drills that was the last thing I needed.

Fortunately, Ridgid has a promo--buy two bare tools get the 2.0Ah starter kit free.  I looked for the sander but didn't find one (everything else my local HD offers in Ridgid I own in Yellow or Red already), and a Milwaukee rep that was setting up kindly told me that buying two fans qualified for the promo (which I knew but wanted something different).  After a few more minutes perusing the relatively small Ridgid section I came to the conclusion that two is better than one and picked up a second fan.  Needing another battery, I considered the impulse driver before deciding to go the cheap route with a single 2.0Ah, but another quick walkthrough led me to the 4.0Ah two-pack at $99.

Long story short, I now have two Ridgid fans, three batteries (1 compact and 2 large), and a charger for $236 out the door.  Military discount didn't apply and though it should have for the larger batteries I figured $198 savings was good enough.  I tried taking a picture but it won't upload.  Anyway, tonight will be bright (thanks to DeWalt lighting) and cool (thanks to Ridgid fans).

• Like 3

Amazon uk again ftw. Got my new Makita compact router plunge base straight guide. Now I should be able to leave the enormously large Triton router in the table and use the Makita router all the time unless I have to use a 1/2" bit. 3d946de9b4b85eb09cad01badc74fc57.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jronman said:

@BMack37 those diablo router bits good? How do they compare to say a Whiteside?

I've never used Whiteside, all my router bits are cheap(Ryobi and Skil/Irwin) other than Diablo. @JimboS1ice swears by Freud/Diablo router bits.

You'd probably want @ChrisK, @rrich1 's opinion too. Too bad Comp and Conductor haven't been around lately, those guys know a lot about router bits I'm sure. 

• Like 2

@jronman. [mention=51872]bmack37[/mention]. I haven't used Diablo/Freud bits. I have Whiteside mostly. I have a small skill set which has been great so far (from Lowe's), a Bosch bit, and 2 cmt bits. All have worked fine. My wood store sells Whiteside and a decent amount of Freud bits. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Freud or Diablo. The cabinet case of Whiteside is enormous at my store and have been trying to buy themselves exclusively lately because I'm OCD and like American made as well. Their lineup is endless as well.

• Like 2

Whiteside= awesome.

Diable / Freud? I've never used either though I know a lot of guys that have used them and  love them. 

I have a 1/4 Ryobi set that I've had for a while and they aren't too bad for a cheap set but 1/4" shank scare the foo foo out of me. Also have some Bosch bits too and they are pretty decent. But Whiteside are by far my favorite.

• Like 1

I have two cheap Ryobi router bit sets (straight and roundover) and a Whiteside upcut spiral bit. The Ryobi ones work pretty well but my plan is to buy the bits I end up using the most in 1/4" or 1/2" shank from Whiteside. I hear nothing but great things about them and they make a ton of different bits.

I would probably buy Freud/Diablo if I needed a bit the same day since I know of no place near me that sells Whiteside and considering everything else I've used from them has been great thus far. I think the Diablo bits are comparable in price to Whiteside so if I don't need it the same day I'd order Whiteside and save myself an hour, gas, and bridge toll.

• Like 1