60V Expansion

dilloncorr

Spoke with a rep today at the Flexvolt demo. We were discussing the future products for the 60/120 lines... A few items that came up below. What else do you want to see?

- 120v dust extraction vac

- 60v sds+ Drill

- 60v sds max drill

- concrete saw (wet dry) voltage unknown

- backpack vacuum voltage unknown

- 60v blower

- 60v trimmer

- 60v chain saw

- air compressor voltage unknown 

- track saw

- chop saw

What I'd like to see (not saying they're all feasible...):

- 55 gallon drum pump

- metal pickup tool (electro-magnet on wheels)

- router / router table setup?

- mag drill

- mounted bandsaw/bandsaw with stand

- 120v table saw 10"

- 60v cord attachment (with transformer)

- job box temp lighting- vaults or toolboxes, string lights? 

- box fan (60V)

- drum fan (120V)

- portable A/C unit on wheels?

- dehumidifier on wheels?

- stand-up vacuum

- buffer 

- belt sander (60v) 

- mower!

- jump starter for cars/bobcats

- tile saw 

- vacuum pump for refrigeration systems 

- power washer

If even half of your two lists come out over here in the UK I am going to have no money and my other half will kill me!!  I am already putting money away for September when the circ saw and table saw come out!!! Then the 12" 120v mitre saw in February. And defiantly the 120v extractor from your list when it comes out if it is a class M!!  

• Like 1

My company does alot of hospital renovations... if the Vac has HEPA filters we will be in heaven. I just hope that somehow the concrete saw ends up having a noise reduction as dramatic as the table saw. They had the small 581 vacs hooked up to the table saw and miter saw today and you could hardly hear the table saw over the vacuum. Far cry from my 10+ year old Delta at home... that thing sounds like jumbo jet taking off. Almost have to open the garage door to even use it! I pre-ordered the circ saw from Acme (or CPO.. can't remember which) when their 15% off was valid. After a hands on today i can't wait! 

I did ask about a bigger breaker (like a 60 lb) and he didn't know anything about one. Probably a pipe dream, but one can hope!

16 minutes ago, Tamika Lewis said:

As a plumber I would like to see a  2" or 3" power pvc shears.

2" power copper cutters.

Heated coveralls? With arms & legs areas heated.

More  summer work wear.

Milwaukee M12 PVC shears cut up,to 2", awesome tool.

2" copper cutters would be really cool to see.

and welcome to the forum Tamika! 

Or they can brag about having a bigger line up with extremely low design costs by taking the 18v motor and changing it to 54v plus some minor updates.... I did ask the rep about the lack of 40v compatibility, but he stayed with the same line of "different purposes, different focuses" and  how landscapers need more run time, not more force. Makes sense, but I'd be pissed if I had bought in already. 

I complained about having bought a corded joist drill recently and he said to return it- that they have a 90 day return policy required for resalers. Seemed like poor customer etiquette to me. 

Lol yeah, take the Makita route. Ignore your battery issues while you brag about having the most tools off of a dozen versions of the same drill.

"Different purposes, different focuses" is such a cop-out. Could have went the x2 route instead of 40V Max bs, and x2 60V Max for 6.0 amp hours. I don't get behind that at all. As if landscapers using Dewalt don't have vehicles to work on, and homes to upkeep, etc.

Instead of giving them a reason to stick with Dewalt they give them an excuse to check out Ego, Echo, cordless Stihl, and the huge pile of other options out there. Shortsightedness from SBD on that one. 

If you ever actually compare the differences between everything and a 40v battery you'd get an idea about just how different the focus is. The batteries are MASSIVE in comparison. Just as your rep states, runtime and rapid discharge are the name of the game for that system. 

It had a reason to be manufactured, and that reason still stands. It shouldn't be backwards compatible, and it won't be phased out anytime soon. It's stand alone. 

• Like 2

And yet still lower voltage and potentially lower AH than the competitors they're chasing. Close enough that you have people like me questioning their purpose. I've read various reviews, including some that prefer the x2 Makita string trimmer to the 40v Max, and those batteries have far more utility. Why 40V and not 60? The competition has high voltage and still has 7.5 AH, and far more with backpacks. 

28 minutes ago, Bremon said:

And yet still lower voltage and potentially lower AH than the competitors they're chasing. Close enough that you have people like me questioning their purpose. I've read various reviews, including some that prefer the x2 Makita string trimmer to the 40v Max, and those batteries have far more utility. Why 40V and not 60? The competition has high voltage and still has 7.5 AH, and far more with backpacks. 

You're not understanding the fundamental difference. The architecture for the 40v line is completely different. They ignore size. They ignore weight. They ignore peak power delivery.  They focus on commercial use, runtime, and rapid discharge for thousands of cycles of yard and lawn equipment specifically due to reduced demand from the tool it's self. Allows for the use of lower torque motors that focus more on RPM's and volume. Voltage isn't everything if you can extend runtime dramatically and still create an effective tool that draws less power.

A single 7.5ah 40v battery pack costs like $300. There's a reason. You can't compare an ambulance to a fire truck because both are red. 

• Like 1

Lol, do they use lithium ion cells, connected in sets of series and parralel? Let's not pretend we are comparing boats to planes here. Can I compare the Chevy ambulance to the Ford ambulance? Or maybe a Kenworth to a Pete to a Mack? That's what I'm doing when I compare Dewalt's 40v Max to the likes of Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo, Ego, and among them Dewalt isn't in some special class where they, and they alone, are marketed towards pro landscapers. They're also the lowest voltage of all of those brands. I'm not seeing Dewalt mentioned in a league of it's own with regards to run time. I think the 40V Max seems like a solid platform that has a lot of potential, but that full potential seems like it will come closer to being realized when their first kick at the can gets a revision. The batteries are also expensive because of economies of scale, if they aren't selling as much, they don't go as cheap because the R&D cost behind those "fundamental differences" isn't subsidized across as many sales. That takes us full circle to SBD relying on positive brand experience and loyalty with Team Yellow to get them into 40v Max vs the myriad other options available at similar price points that are known for OPE rather that quality drills and miter saws. 

I think you're both right.. In a way. It sucks that they come out with 40v and then 60v... But I do they're different focuses. After handling 60v batteries and 40v side by side there's no way I'd buy 40v. On the other hand if I owned a landscaping company and had my guys constantly charging 60v batteries... I'd lose money! 

Bottom line though is these have their place... Whether they turn out successful is up to industry adoption. Personally I think the "cord replacement" and "gas replacement" lines are partially marketing BS. Who is really going to reach for a battery powered tool when chopping up a 60' tree 2' in diameter or production lines?

All the lines are "commercial" and they all have competitors with pros and cons. Personally I'm really glad I don't have to use a SDS Max drill with a 5lb 40v battery, and don't have to pony up for a Hilti!

Back to the real question here... Any other innovative ideas? 3D printer? Beer cooler? Microwave? Sump pump? Drain snake? Negative air machine? Upright vacuum? Walk behind floor sander? There's got to be 100 applications for a higher torque motor or longer run time (20v high AH) I can't be the only one thinking about this... 

• Like 3

I know they're claiming the 40V line will see continued development, but they did the same for their 12V line.  The fact that they put a chainsaw and string trimmer on the 60V line already is proof enough of that.  Don't get me wrong the 40V line would have a place but they won't see it as worth developing alongside a 60V line.

As far as those 60V tools you want

On 7/20/2016 at 3:56 PM, dilloncorr said:

Spoke with a rep today at the Flexvolt demo. We were discussing the future products for the 60/120 lines... A few items that came up below. What else do you want to see?

- 120v dust extraction vac

- 60v sds+ Drill

- 60v sds max drill

- concrete saw (wet dry) voltage unknown

- backpack vacuum voltage unknown

- 60v blower

- 60v trimmer

- 60v chain saw

- air compressor voltage unknown 

- track saw

- chop saw

As far as those 60V tools, they already showed the string trimmer, chainsaw, sds drill, and track saw at some events, and I believe some are available internationally.  I can't imagine anyone making a cordless compressor because almost all individual tools have a cordless variant and pneumatics are incredibly inefficient.

1 hour ago, dilloncorr said:

I think you're both right.. In a way. It sucks that they come out with 40v and then 60v... But I do they're different focuses. After handling 60v batteries and 40v side by side there's no way I'd buy 40v. On the other hand if I owned a landscaping company and had my guys constantly charging 60v batteries... I'd lose money! 

Bottom line though is these have their place... Whether they turn out successful is up to industry adoption. Personally I think the "cord replacement" and "gas replacement" lines are partially marketing BS. Who is really going to reach for a battery powered tool when chopping up a 60' tree 2' in diameter or production lines?

All the lines are "commercial" and they all have competitors with pros and cons. Personally I'm really glad I don't have to use a SDS Max drill with a 5lb 40v battery, and don't have to pony up for a Hilti!

Back to the real question here... Any other innovative ideas? 3D printer? Beer cooler? Microwave? Sump pump? Drain snake? Negative air machine? Upright vacuum? Walk behind floor sander? There's got to be 100 applications for a higher torque motor or longer run time (20v high AH) I can't be the only one thinking about this... 

I still think a cordless compressor would be cool, but its like you mentioned with the cordless nail guns its less of an issue now. When I refinished hardwood floors in my house I had to watch what circuit I used because the motor had so much starting draw it would pop a breaker. People say why have a cordless miter or table saw. If your not in a high production environment its nice being able to use the tool right away without the hassle or running a cord somewhere. You have to remember you have different markets this is great for certain people if your a production framer its not as useful in your situation

46 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Maybe the cordless compressor could be like the ryobi ones

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I could see a small cordless compressor being available, similar in size to the 1 gallon HDX. I wouldn't expect it to run air tools. but it would probably work nice to run an airbrush, making it very portable. 

As for other stuff, there are some things they are looking into via the DeWALT Insights program that nobody has mentioned. To participate requires acceptance of a non-disclosure agreement, but you do get to offer input on tools while they are being developed or priced.

• Like 1

On 20/07/2016 at 6:00 PM, MikeyB said:

Milwaukee M12 PVC shears cut up,to 2", awesome tool.

2" copper cutters would be really cool to see.

and welcome to the forum Tamika! 

Thanks, Long time lurker, finally bite the bullet & made a account. One of my coworkers has one, & she let me use it for a day. It's definitely one of the best m12 tools but I would like to see an 20volt version for dewalt, that has an bigger capacity for rough ins and maybe a light built in for dark cabinets & a guard just in case the pipe shatters while cutting. My company actually just banned the m12 shears because there isn't a guard, &  a couple of people have had pipe shatter into their face.

• Like 2

Very interesting comments Tamika. I have no experience with that tool so can't offer an opinion but I could definitely see Dewalt improving on that design, and with their "perform and protect" mantra incorporating more osha-oriented features into it for sure.

I've seen it happen to a good friend of mine that has one who's been a plumber for 30 years. He mentioned that two things were at play, the blade was original and had never been sharpened and the piece that broke was older pipe that had some UV exposure and wasn't sure if that had anything to do with it, but when it let go...holy crap. Looked less like a M12 was involved and more like a M80. He took a piece to the hand but not quite enough to draw blood, but if it struck an eye it could have been bad news. Since then every time I see him use it he turns his face away from the cut and holds it at arm's length. I don't blame him. 

The tool is really good but you have to be mindful of keeping the blade sharp and don't reuse old pipe that has been exposed to solar radiation for long periods of time. 

• Like 2