Some big issues with the Bosch React Saw and Power

DR99

• 2 months later...
I was keeping tabs on this a little bit and the last I read was Rob was waiting on a software update or something to correct the issue? Now I'm second guessing where I saw that, but I'm interested in knowing what came of this

Last I heard they did a firmware update and the saw functions fine now, I believe toolaholic mentioned that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, Jronman said:

Reaxx is the superior system.

In what way?  It's not a product I have followed as I really dont have use for it.

Are you talking about the safety part of it?  Doubting you meant its a better table saw than the SawStop.

SawStop is the better saw if you get the cabinet grade saw, but Reaxx has the better safety mechanism. Saw stop uses a brake that is shot at the edge of the blade to instantly stop the blade and at the same time the blade quickly lowers under the table. This works except it not only ruins the blade it also ruins the brake. Your out of a brake and a saw blade. With Reaxx it stops and lowers the blade but the brake mechanism isn't damaging and only needs replaced after 20 or so triggers of the saftey system. The only thing that a user needs to do when resetting the Reaxx is either flip the 2 use air cartridge or replace it. 

Just now, Jronman said:

SawStop is the better saw if you get the cabinet grade saw, but Reaxx has the better safety mechanism. Saw stop uses a brake that is shot at the edge of the blade to instantly stop the blade and at the same time the blade quickly lowers under the table. This works except it not only ruins the blade it also ruins the brake. Your out of a brake and a saw blade. With Reaxx it stops and lowers the blade but the brake mechanism isn't damaging and only needs replaced after 20 or so triggers of the saftey system. The only thing that a user needs to do when resetting the Reaxx is either flip the 2 use air cartridge or replace it. 

I think "better safety mechanism" is a matter of opinion.  You're quite right that the Sawstop ruins the blade and the brake mechanism when it triggers.  However, the Bosch flesh detecting tech, while it works, gives you a greater chance of injury.  There's a series of videos on the youtubes showing exactly what happens when you push your hand at high speed into the spinning blade of both saws.  The Bosch made a significantly larger cut and I suspect that, had the blade not been almost entirely "hidden" by the 2x4, the injury would have been much worse and possibly required a trip to the ER.  It will still probably save your fingers from being amputated, but I think it's note quite as safe as the Sawstop and has greater potential for injury.

On the job-site, the Bosch is certainly faster to reset and cheaper to operate.  For my fingers though in my garage, I'm going to go with the safer alternative, even if it will cost more (cabinet saws aren't cheap) to buy and operate.

Would be nice when patents run out to see companies come together to make a standardized system that is as safe as SawStop but wont damage the tool like Reaxx. Maybe if enough companies help produce it, they could just use the same system to keep costs down and make repairs and resetting the saw much cheaper.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jronman said:

Would be nice when patents run out to see companies come together to make a standardized system that is as safe as SawStop but wont damage the tool like Reaxx. Maybe if enough companies help produce it, they could just use the same system to keep costs down and make repairs and resetting the saw much cheaper.

That would be nice.  However, I suspect that there are enough bone headed "I take the safety features off of my tools as soon as I buy them" people out there that would rather save a few $ on the price of a saw that this won't take root.  After all, there is still a thriving community of people that refuse to wear seatbelts and actually exchange tips on how to disable the alarms and bings that new cars have when you don't put it on.

• Like 1

I am a subscriber to Rob Cosman online workshop's now.  In one of his training videos he talked about his Sawstop. They have triggered the thing 4 times now. According to Rob if you have a 3 HP unit it will not destroy the blade normally but the 5HP models will.  I have no personal experience but thought I would add to the conversation.

Would be great to have something that was reusable. The Reaxx is not enough saw for me so there would be no debate on which one I would buy. Nothing against Bosch, just not in the same class.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rrmccabe said:

I am a subscriber to Rob Cosman online workshop's now.  In one of his training videos he talked about his Sawstop. They have triggered the thing 4 times now. According to Rob if you have a 3 HP unit it will not destroy the blade normally but the 5HP models will.  I have no personal experience but thought I would add to the conversation.

Would be great to have something that was reusable. The Reaxx is not enough saw for me so there would be no debate on which one I would buy. Nothing against Bosch, just not in the same class.

Interesting on the blade thing. I've the 1-3/4hp. I've not set my cartridge off (thank God) but good blades aren't cheap. 

We have 1.75 and 3 hp SawStops (about 8 of them). I had always heard that the blades get destroyed by the stop mechanism, but that is not the case imo. When they are tripped we usually swap out the blade along with the mechanism, but they are just sent out to be sharpened. I have not seen one completely trashed by the mechanism. Its just a spring loaded aluminum block that is driven into the blade, and the carriage drops down in the process.  

I do not think they spend more than 25.00 on a 10in wood blade anyway.  

The majority of them being tipped is guys touching the blade with a tape measure before the blade stops or not cleaning the machine out properly after cutting aluminum.

• Like 2

Honestly I don't think the cost of a replacement cartridge an blade should matter. 

If I was a bussniess owner I don't see how you can afford to use a regular tablesaw. A injury at work can be very pricy. I mean not just do you have medical an insurance to deal with but there is possible legal fees. 

I know you can't prevent all injuries but if it reduces risk it's worth it. 

• Like 2