Working the new Lathe

Foneguy

Never really been a woodworking guy, but decided I needed a new hobby. As you probably have seen in my previous posts, I've setup a pretty nice little shop. Starting to churn out some good looking pens. Other items soon to follow. Most important , it's keeping me busy and relaxed at the same time ........

image.jpeg

• Like 8

You're gonna be a busy man Chris, however we do expect a play by play of that new shop  ....lol

Thanks guys !!! In the middle of turning one right now for my dad (84)... So he can do his puzzles in style ....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's a house brand lathe from penn state industries. 10" with extension length available up to 36" long.

using regular tools, picked up a rikon low speed grinder and wolverine jig for sharpening, works good . Maybe some carbide tools in the future

• Like 1

Nice work Foneguy.  I got a lathe a few years ago and wasn't sure how much I would use or enjoy it.  It is really nice to be able to take a piece of wood and have something useful and beautiful completed in anywhere from 45 minutes to a few hours.  My biggest concern was making and keeping my tools sharp.  Now that is handled, I find turning a joy, but its not where I spend a lot of my time.  I hope to dive back into it again this winter.  Keep up the great work and keep sharing your projects.

• Like 2

Nice workmanship! I got into making pens a few months ago because I had to down size my tools for apartment living in the big city. Pens are fun to make and everyone in the family loves them as gifts.  I also picked up a inexpensive laser engraver and made the pens more personal.  Now try your hand at small bowls, toy tops and ring boxes for variety. I included a few pics of my latest projects, all done with a cheap mini lathe. Hope you guy's like them.

20160522_154538.jpg

20160918_132650.jpg

• Like 5

17 hours ago, metaljunkie said:

Nice workmanship! I got into making pens a few months ago because I had to down size my tools for apartment living in the big city. Pens are fun to make and everyone in the family loves them as gifts.  I also picked up a inexpensive laser engraver and made the pens more personal.  Now try your hand at small bowls, toy tops and ring boxes for variety. I included a few pics of my latest projects, all done with a cheap mini lathe. Hope you guy's like them.

20160522_154538.jpg

20160918_132650.jpg

Very nice ......

more info on laser engraver please .....

• Like 1

On 9/16/2016 at 7:50 PM, Foneguy said:

it's keeping me busy and relaxed at the same time ........

awesome job Foneguy.....

just remember......... without wood it's just working........

• Like 2

On 10/13/2016 at 4:38 PM, metaljunkie said:

20160522_154538.jpg

20160918_132650.jpg

Wow how did you turn those flowers!??

Very cool projects I like the laser engraving too

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ChrisK said:

I've been thinking of getting one of these and a new grinder. Way cheaper.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/125676/oneway-wolverine-grinding-jig.aspx

Oh cool! Thank You for sharing, I see One-Way has some  other jigs also, way cheaper sharping this way.  Even if one was to buy CBN wheel to put on the grinder. 

This is what I was originally looking at - https://www.amazon.com/TORMEK-T-4-Magnum-Package-Sharpening/dp/B00NO4QSFA

• Like 2