Hot deal on a Festool Sander 99$ with a 50 dollar voucher

DR99

2 hours ago, DR99 said:

Lots of Forum people got in on this deal. It was a no brainier at the price point though.

Absolutely. No the funny part will be the nay Sayers going....hmmmmmm....maybe I do need a DC unit....? :)

• Like 1

I got my sander yesterday as well.  It feels like a very solid unit.  I love the cord and the front bump guard.  I'm not a big fan of this unit coming without the optional dust collector filter unit or that you have to buy a special sand paper where the holes line up with just the festool sanders.  

I'm going to give the unit a try (hopefully this weekend) and see if my feelings on this unit swings one way or another.

I think it was genius of Festool to put this unit at an affordable price point.  They are opening up their experience to a whole new crowd.  

Is it time to drink the Kool-Aid?

• Like 3

At least the dust bag isn't too expensive only 30 dollars. The proprietary sandpaper is a bummer though, but that's Festools thing from their bits to sand paper and even blades you have to buy through them.

23 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Lol!!!!!! Was wondering why my comment wasn't posting, I kept hitting "Submit" and I thought it didn't work because nothing was happening! That's too funny!

There is a whole wiring platform that you can add to your existing tools to make a similar set up. Most of the Festool tools from more recent history come with the detachable power cord and they even came out with a cord/hose combo in a zip up sleeve. I'm not sure about other brands including Mafell as far as the detachable though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tugnut1 said:

I got my sander yesterday as well.  It feels like a very solid unit.  I love the cord and the front bump guard.  I'm not a big fan of this unit coming without the optional dust collector filter unit or that you have to buy a special sand paper where the holes line up with just the festool sanders.  

I'm going to give the unit a try (hopefully this weekend) and see if my feelings on this unit swings one way or another.

I think it was genius of Festool to put this unit at an affordable price point.  They are opening up their experience to a whole new crowd.  

Is it time to drink the Kool-Aid?

Be middful that the DC system that Festool has is like all of their other tools and is part of an entire system. Having said that though, I also use Mirka paper with my Festool sanders and even my Bosch. Festool does have an entire eco system of papers for a variety of substrates and the paper is honestly the best out there. The abrasives last a long long time but the hole pattern is designed to work with DC and maximize removal. I'd use that 50 coupon on a DC unit! Also the dial on the DC unit is there for a reason. If you max the power on your DC you won't be able to move that sander. Super powerful machine!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

Be middful that the DC system that Festool has is like all of their other tools and is part of an entire system. Having said that though, I also use Mirka paper with my Festool sanders and even my Bosch. Festool does have an entire eco system of papers for a variety of substrates and the paper is honestly the best out there. The abrasives last a long long time but the hole pattern is designed to work with DC and maximize removal. I'd use that 50 coupon on a DC unit! Also the dial on the DC unit is there for a reason. If you max the power on your DC you won't be able to move that sander. Super powerful machine!

Thanks for the DC feedback Chris.  Does Mirka make paper for the festools and if so, how would I distinguish them from the other hole patters...ie.  Does it say in the description that they are used for festool?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tugnut1 said:

Thanks for the DC feedback Chris.  Does Mirka make paper for the festools and if so, how would I distinguish them from the other hole patters...ie.  Does it say in the description that they are used for festool?

Here's a link for the paper that I use with my Festool and Bosch. It's a mesh type paper that allows the air flow to not be impeeded....

https://www.zoro.com/mirka-mesh-grip-disc-5-in-120-grit-pk50-9a-232-120/i/G1893197/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw4_DABRC1tuPSpqXjxZwBEiQAhMIp68DWNKCSgawqsCquHBX5PGsD6MaqVts36unReeo0alUaAlcB8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

I also bought this from Woodcraft but they have it on Amazon.....

https://www.amazon.com/Mirka-9A-241-AP-Abranet-Sanding-Assortment/dp/B005EG0AJ6/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1478291241&sr=8-13&keywords=mirka+sanding+discs

Its an assortment of this paper and they last a long time. You can also check the hole pattern on your sander (mine just came in today- very much like the ES125 I sold a while back - with obvious improvements now) to see if they line up with the paper available from other manufacturers. Mirka is considered a very good lineup of papers. I have to admit, try the Festool papers in smaller packs too. Here's a guide from Bob Marino....

http://www.bobmarinosbesttools.com/bob-marinos-festool-abrasives-guide/c/1322/

It really helps make the decision making easier. Rubin and Granat are my favorites. Hope this helps dude!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DR99 said:

I was surprised Festool did include a decent amount of sandpaper in the kit 11 disks isn't that bad

Yeah, this is a really calculated move on Festool part. Normally when you buy a sander you get a couple of sheets. This is pretty cool!

Price out good quality Mika paper compared to Festool and it isn't a huge difference. I buy boxes of 50 and they last a LONG time. Granat id my go to abrasive.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

I use mirka abranet now, doesn't matter your hole pattern it's a mesh abrasive great durability! About 1.50 to 2.00 a net though 10 pack for 20 but it lasts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, wildroamer said:

So it sounds like the Mirka is similarly priced to the Festool. Which do you guys think is better?

Also....Granat?? Rubin?? Abranet??

Look at the link I put down from Bobs site. It really depends on the material you are using though! I would say I've been using the abranet for a little over a year and a half but I'm still well ensconced in my Festool paper Andrew for good reason but Mirkas mesh does work pretty well with my Festool and Bosch sanders. The real key in the Festool paper is the very fine materials used but also the specific uses they're offer.

• Like 1

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    lamparina
    Newest Member
    lamparina