Dewalt Dcf680n1

Theultimatehic

So i bought the dewalt gyroscopic 8v drill package. On Saturday i installed my security system for the shop. 3 cameras all mounted to metal studs behind drywall and 1 installed into 16 gauge steel bracket on bay door. The drill was used for screwing everything in. Don't have drill bits with quarter inch hex end so regular drill for pre drilling steel. The 8v was light, easy to keep in the back pocket and definately is what i expected. A manual drill turned electric. You can change the clutch to do light screwing like switch plates or put a self tapper into a stud. I also liked that the clutch or whatever it is locks so if you lock the trigger switch you can use it like a regular screwdriver such as when i put a 2 inch screw into pine and needed a lil more to get the screw in(it was a test did better then i thought). Overall i would recommend off first impression. Next step is seeing how it last in a shop but a 3 year warranty is included. 

20170127_114206.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Theultimatehic said:

So i bought the dewalt gyroscopic 8v drill package. On Saturday i installed my security system for the shop. 3 cameras all mounted to metal studs behind drywall and 1 installed into 16 gauge steel bracket on bay door. The drill was used for screwing everything in. Don't have drill bits with quarter inch hex end so regular drill for pre drilling steel. The 8v was light, easy to keep in the back pocket and definately is what i expected. A manual drill turned electric. You can change the clutch to do light screwing like switch plates or put a self tapper into a stud. I also liked that the clutch or whatever it is locks so if you lock the trigger switch you can use it like a regular screwdriver such as when i put a 2 inch screw into pine and needed a lil more to get the screw in(it was a test did better then i thought). Overall i would recommend off first impression. Next step is seeing how it last in a shop but a 3 year warranty is included. 

20170127_114206.jpg

these things are pretty nice. i have both the straight version and the gun version. out of the two i would say i like the straight version better but only wish the clutch feature was on it. i keep the gun version at home and i use it all the time when taking apart chassis or covers. i also find it easier to use with 3" hex bits or longer without bit holders. that way i never really lose the bit when disengaging from the fastener. 

at first when i got my straight version i thought it would just be a gimmic but its actually a pretty handy tool. 

grats on ur purchase theultimatehic. i know u will use it more and more. only thing sucks about the dewalt 8v stuff is that there is only like these 2 types of screw guns. straight and gun, and the lame flashlight. also the batteries are like 40-50 bucks. thats where dewalt sticks it to us. :/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, x1xkodiakx1x said:

these things are pretty nice. i have both the straight version and the gun version. out of the two i would say i like the straight version better but only wish the clutch feature was on it. i keep the gun version at home and i use it all the time when taking apart chassis or covers. i also find it easier to use with 3" hex bits or longer without bit holders. that way i never really lose the bit when disengaging from the fastener. 

at first when i got my straight version i thought it would just be a gimmic but its actually a pretty handy tool. 

grats on ur purchase theultimatehic. i know u will use it more and more. only thing sucks about the dewalt 8v stuff is that there is only like these 2 types of screw guns. straight and gun, and the lame flashlight. also the batteries are like 40-50 bucks. thats where dewalt sticks it to us. :/

This one is both pistol grip and inline. The grip rotates 180 degrees.  Best of both worlds. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

They're awesome little drivers. I have three. One in my electrical bag, one in my tool chest and one in my Kreg box. I use the one with my Kreg screws A LOT. The clutch allows you to use it as a manual screwdriver on those screws that need just another 1/8-1/4 turn in hard woods.

That's sounds like a pretty sweet little tool, one of those underrated tools nobody hears about nor that one sees actively promoted. 

I do wonder tho what would happen if it breaks within warranty and they don't have replacements available anymore, being one of a kind thing

• 2 weeks later...

I picked one up at the PX for $35 a couple of years ago.  Since then, it's been used a lot, especially for hanging ceiling fans and such.  Honestly, it can handle more than I thought it would be able to; if a job is too much for it there's always the 12v screwdriver or a 20v driver.

On 2/16/2017 at 4:53 PM, Framer joe said:

I bought it....ah just because it looked cool..and I walked by it about 90 times at HD and said ,I should get that.......never use it much....but it looks cool...more POWA

Wish I had all the money back for tools that I bought and thought they looked cool but never really used them. It's a curse. 

• Like 2

I hear ya...but I don't regret buying tools, even if I don't use them,,a lot are brand new in the box...I figure someday I'll need it and BAM there it is ...my grampa had to have hundreds maybe thousands of tools...shit I never heard of or ever saw before,but if he or I ever needed something he had it....weird cuz years go buy and I'd say gramps you got a ...." " and he'd go ya I got two ,I'll go get one.....loved that guy

• Like 4

On 2/26/2017 at 5:26 PM, Framer joe said:

I hear ya...but I don't regret buying tools, even if I don't use them,,a lot are brand new in the box...I figure someday I'll need it and BAM there it is ...my grampa had to have hundreds maybe thousands of tools...shit I never heard of or ever saw before,but if he or I ever needed something he had it....weird cuz years go buy and I'd say gramps you got a ...." " and he'd go ya I got two ,I'll go get one.....loved that guy

You know what they say..............he who dies with the most tools wins 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Framer joe said:

If I had that kinda loot ,,it would be in my nature to help people...not the homeless...but the ..toolless...those without tools, those who Need more tools and of course a 10 step program for the toolaholics......

Could give the homeless an apprenticeship? Then they can have a job to make money to buy tools which will increase tool sales in addition to giving to the toolless.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Framer joe said:

If I had that kinda loot ,,it would be in my nature to help people...not the homeless...but the ..toolless...those without tools, those who Need more tools and of course a 10 step program for the toolaholics......

My buddy gives me shit about buying tools. Tells me I'm am addict so i always say the aa greeting. Do it on here sometimes to. If i had that kinda money though, tools would be on me for the crew. Be chump change lol. 

1 hour ago, Jronman said:

Could give the homeless an apprenticeship? Then they can have a job to make money to buy tools which will increase tool sales in addition to giving to the toolless.

You're onto something here.... now you just need the funding:/ start the homeless local 286. Brothers for a new beginning.  Put em to work as laborers on jobs. 

• Like 1

We go through 20-30 people a year.that I hire and fire or they quit......it has been my experience that  unfortunate people do not want to work ,but rather just have the hand out....not all,but many many....I've tried to help a lot by inviting them to work for the day and get paid that day at a fair wage (16hr) for a laborer.....most refuse and just say.." you got a 20$" ..........

• Like 1