Jump to content

Dear Dewalt...


Hugh Jass

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

...why in the hell is Ridgid first with this? WHYYYYYYYYYYY. I mean first the compressor and trim router. Carpentry is supposed to be your thing. This is embarrassing just how awesome this looks...

 

Ridgid-R86065B-Brushless-Cordless-Belt-S

 

http://toolguyd.com/ridgid-18v-cordless-brushless-belt-sander/

when raymond first started making tools he did it for his needs not yours......lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

...why in the hell is Ridgid first with this? WHYYYYYYYYYYY. I mean first the compressor and trim router. Carpentry is supposed to be your thing. This is embarrassing just how awesome this looks...

 

Ridgid-R86065B-Brushless-Cordless-Belt-S

 

http://toolguyd.com/ridgid-18v-cordless-brushless-belt-sander/

I'm surprised lately with Ridgid that brand was asleep at the wheel 7 or so years ago when they launched the x4 line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, tpamatmat said:

I feel your pain Hugh. Ridgid and Milwaukee are both giving DeWalt a hard time in the cordless tool arena. Milwaukee is also challenging them on the hand tool front. They use to be so dominant in both these areas, just got complacent. I hope they step up their game.

Dewalt made 2 big errors they were the last to convert to slide packs, and didn't offer an adapter till years later. That pissed a lot of people off, and gave people an out to try a different brand. Also you had post TTI Milwaukee releasing all sorts of new tools and offering promotions all the time with them. Milwaukee is still aggressive with promotions but they are not as good and prices have went up.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DR99 said:

Dewalt made 2 big errors they were the last to convert to slide packs, and didn't offer an adapter till years later. That pissed a lot of people off, and gave people an out to try a different brand. Also you had post TTI Milwaukee releasing all sorts of new tools and offering promotions all the time with them. Milwaukee is still aggressive with promotions but they are not as good and prices have went up.

I believe that title belongs to Ryobi who has yet to convert to slide packs (for their 18v tools at least).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Cheng Liu said:

Just to add insult to injury, although I guess this makes some sense since Ryobi and Ridgid are owned by the same parent company (TTI). I wonder if Milwaukee (also owned by TTI) will eventually come out with one as well.

 

 

That's exactly what happened with nailers, and then the surge/quiet impact drivers.

 

I'd expect to see an M18 trim router and belt sander this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BMack37 said:

Dewalt is busy making the same tools they already have but bigger and for a new battery platform.

Lol yeah, so true, like the cordless 12" mitre saw, table saw, inverter, upcoming flooring gun, cordless stapler. You know, all the same stuff they already have but bigger. Oh wait. 

 

Meanwhile Milwaukee gives us a less powerful mitre saw, a quiet impact (like Makita has had for ages), utility bucket light, and a new toilet auger. Tools for the everyman. I do want a mid torque impact wrench though ;D when it comes to working on a vehicle with cordless tools Milwaukee can't be beat. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bremon said:

Lol yeah, so true, like the cordless 12" mitre saw, table saw, inverter, upcoming flooring gun, cordless stapler. You know, all the same stuff they already have but bigger. Oh wait. 

 

Meanwhile Milwaukee gives us a less powerful mitre saw, a quiet impact (like Makita has had for ages), utility bucket light, and a new toilet auger. Tools for the everyman. I do want a mid torque impact wrench though ;D when it comes to working on a vehicle with cordless tools Milwaukee can't be beat. 

 

Dewalt had a smaller miter saw; so you listed four new tools out of their entire Flexvolt lineup, less than half. My comment might be overly cynical but it's not exactly wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

 

Dewalt had a smaller miter saw; so you listed four new tools out of their entire Flexvolt lineup, less than half. My comment might be overly cynical but it's not exactly wrong.

As opposed to 3-4 NPS in a row where we were all excited for new Fuel models? Drill. Hammer drill. Impact driver. Impact wrench. High torque impact wrench. Circular saw. Sawzall. Grinder. Drill (again). Hammer drill (again). Impact driver (again). Impact wrench (again) Grinder (again). Circular saw (again). And then they release an entire line of SKUs of the same tools with One Key. To say that all manufacturers don't release the same things over and over again is disingenuous at best. Look at Makita's fetish for impact drivers. 

 

The FlexVolt lineup consists of what, at this point, 7 tools? 12" mitres. Stud/Joist drill. 7.25" circ. table saw. Grinder. Recip. Two repeats from 20v Max and a third which is a repeat (circ saw) but their first 7.25" blade. To say the 12" mitres are a repeat of the Tonka toy 7.25" brushed slider is laughable.

 

Reads like garage journal in here some days. Don't get me wrong, I love Milwaukee as much as the next guy, and they have thousands of dollars of my money, but it's ok for them not to be class-leading in every category, competition is good for the breed. 

 

And in case anyone needs a reminder of what categories they aren't class leading in the list likely consists of drill, hammer drill, impact driver, recip, sliding mitre, grinder, circ saw, high torque impact wrench, hell, even the Super Hawg is outmatched and comes down to form factor preference. Sad to say it seems like the only categories Milwaukee unquestionably leads these days are categories it has no proper competition in. My TrueView lights light up  work areas pretty damn good though, and I enjoy the disruptive innovation of my screwgun having Makita auto-drive, and my rotozip having a belt clip.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well unlike you hippies I'm not giving up on Dewalt. Which is simply amazing. WHERE THE HECK IS MY 20v BRAD NAILER?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?! And by the way, I want a soft impact too. Good Lord....my AWESOME Dewalt impactor had my ears ringing last weekend!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

Well unlike you hippies I'm not giving up on Dewalt. Which is simply amazing. WHERE THE HECK IS MY 20v BRAD NAILER?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?! And by the way, I want a soft impact too. Good Lord....my AWESOME Dewalt impactor had my ears ringing last weekend!

May 2017. May 2017. I can't wait for May 2017 ;D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not giving up I'm just at a loss for why when it comes to something new, 11 out of 10 times it's not Dewalt. Their first innovation in 15yrs was Flexvolt and the power station (and I give them props for the OSHA dust extraction standards they've come up with for their SDS's). At the time I thought it was going to put them on a path to leading for once but that seems to have slowed down again. They announce tools that take a year to reach the shelves. They take years to release a tool that's simply a modification of a tool they already have (nailers for instance). Dewalts selection of work lights sucks and has forever. Nearly everything they put out is highly competitive and I appreciate that, but when you have holes in your game, fill them. 

 

Tire inflator

Air compressor

Belt sander

Trim router

 

These are painfully obvious tools that every manufacturer should have had on the shelf for years...and who's cornered the market? Ryobi and Ridgid? Seems to me the two of them have done more to close the gap to the big boys than all of them have done to keep the lead, combined. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bremon said:

It seems brand new designs and oddball stuff usually goes to the junk brands first to have kinks ironed out rather than have egg on the face of the premium brands a la 23gauge Makita pinner. 

 

Learning one way not to do something is hardly a strategy to producing good shit. I'm not saying your wrong because it does seem that way, but how that's a valid strategy with millions of available R&D and a fleet of engineers...makes me face-palm. When you wait for someone else to come up with an idea, and they patent it, you then have to figure out an indirect way to get to the same means which is often not as good or successful as the original idea. Next thing you know, you've wasted 3 years of potential profits and spent the same amount of time and money re-engineering basic shit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Member Statistics

    17,103
    Total Members
    6,555
    Most Online
    Laurence
    Newest Member
    Laurence
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...