Burned

Nordraw

Ordered a Rolair JC-10 air compressor from "The Tool Barn" last week and it just got here delivered from UPS. Well..........it was trashed to say the least. It was shipped in the box like you would get it from a store nothing more. The box was completely torn open and had some packing tape put over the gaping holes in the box. I took in out of the box while the UPS guy was waiting there and the compressor had paint scratched off in a couple of places and one of the rubber feet was damaged. The driver said I should just refuse the delivery and that is what I did so than I called "The Tool Barn" and they were closed for the day of course. Sent two emails and will have to wait to see how they deal with this. I'll keep you posted about how their customer service is.  This sucks bad. 

2 hours ago, Jronman said:

I would've thought that something like a compressor would be in a more sturdy shipping box around the retail packaging.

That was my thought exactly. Shipping it like that was a joke. That is how Tool Barn is to blame here. The actual damage had to come from the handling by UPS 

6 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

So it was obvious UPS didn't do that? Or don't you know for sure?

No, most likely the handling by UPS was to blame but how can you ship something across country in the same box that you would get if you just bought it at a store that carried it? Makes no sense to me.

10 hours ago, Conductor562 said:

Talk about something that will ruin your day. It's heartbreaking to open a tool shipment and see it's damaged.

Hope Tool Barn makes it right

Yeah and it the second week in a row that I have gotten something in the mail and had to return it. Last week got a entry door knob that was not damaged but just didn't work and I sent it back. 

17 hours ago, Nordraw said:

Ordered a Rolair JC-10 air compressor from "The Tool Barn" last week and it just got here delivered from UPS. Well..........it was trashed to say the least. It was shipped in the box like you would get it from a store nothing more. The box was completely torn open and had some packing tape put over the gaping holes in the box. I took in out of the box while the UPS guy was waiting there and the compressor had paint scratched off in a couple of places and one of the rubber feet was damaged. The driver said I should just refuse the delivery and that is what I did so than I called "The Tool Barn" and they were closed for the day of course. Sent two emails and will have to wait to see how they deal with this. I'll keep you posted about how their customer service is.  This sucks bad. 

Talked to "Tool Barn" today on the phone and they seemed pretty cool about it and are putting a claim in to UPS and shipping me another one. If it's shipped the same way I don't have much hope it will be in better shape but we shall see. This is the last chance I will  give them to get this right to be sure.

No, most likely the handling by UPS was to blame but how can you ship something across country in the same box that you would get if you just bought it at a store that carried it? Makes no sense to me.

I've had quite a few tools come in its retail box from various retailers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Nordraw said:

That was my thought exactly. Shipping it like that was a joke. That is how Tool Barn is to blame here. The actual damage had to come from the handling by UPS 

OK yes that makes sense 

3 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

I've had quite a few tools come in its retail box from various retailers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't recall ever receiving tools in retail boxes I've bought. 

• Like 1

I've received several from HD in the retail box. Drill press and multiple Milwaukee power tools.

I think the trick is to order multiple things, always. If you order an air compressor and a nozzle set, they can't ship that in the retail box. I need to start doing that, I'm not a fan of advertising what power tool is laying unattended at my front door.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

OK yes that makes sense 

I can't recall ever receiving tools in retail boxes I've bought. 

A lot of the DeWALT cordless tools I have gottem have come in retail boxes. I've wondered why it wasn't put inside a shipping box. 

3 hours ago, KC_Tool said:

No bueno. Mind if I ask what you paid for shipping? Just curious. Trying to think how we would ship something like that, maybe LTL?

It was free shipping on something that price. It took 7 days to get it from when it shipped. Just my opinion but nothing like that should be shipped cross country without some kind of extra protection. I worked for UPS as a student and know how things are treated. What is LTL?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Atlas2000 said:

Seems unlikely that UPS would go to the trouble of patching it over with tape. I have gotten things shipped poorly before. No excuse except too cheap to do it right. Glad they are sending another without a lot of grief. Hope #2 arrives in better shape.

I worked on the hub for UPS many a moon ago and they will slap some packaging tape on a ripped package if it's not too bad but this was a joke. The driver said he couldn't believe they put it on his truck in the shape it was in.

As an update I have heard nothing from "Tool Barn" since they told me on the phone they would ship another one right out. I asked them to give me the new tracking number when they got it and she said they would so......... Haven't written off "Tool Barn" as of yet, waiting to see if they make good on this. At the very least I will be waiting a good long time to get something that I could have got 2 day shipping on from Amazon.  

A lot of bigger tools ship in their retail boxes, which is to say that the retail boxes are designed and built sturdy enough to be shipped by truck.  So, if you order big, heavy tools like a miter saw, jobsite table saw, etc. it doesn't come packaged in a 2nd box because

A. a bigger cardboard box would be really hard to find and would have to be custom built - i.e. expensive and time consuming.

B. unless the custom box was a LOT larger, you wouldn't be able to add sufficient padding material to make a difference and then you're adding ~20" of extra shipping dimension - i.e. more expensive to ship

C. The manufacturer's boxes are designed to ship bare because of A & B

So, from how I see it,  UPS trashed your compressor.  I've had them mess up quite a few boxes and it's rarely the fault of the sender.

2 hours ago, khariV said:

A lot of bigger tools ship in their retail boxes, which is to say that the retail boxes are designed and built sturdy enough to be shipped by truck.  So, if you order big, heavy tools like a miter saw, jobsite table saw, etc. it doesn't come packaged in a 2nd box because

A. a bigger cardboard box would be really hard to find and would have to be custom built - i.e. expensive and time consuming.

B. unless the custom box was a LOT larger, you wouldn't be able to add sufficient padding material to make a difference and then you're adding ~20" of extra shipping dimension - i.e. more expensive to ship

C. The manufacturer's boxes are designed to ship bare because of A & B

So, from how I see it,  UPS trashed your compressor.  I've had them mess up quite a few boxes and it's rarely the fault of the sender.

UPS is the culprit no doubt but relying on the manufactures box is just saving money period. Have you seen Amazon ship that way? This box did not seem up to the task to say the least. Could you imagine paying the 37.50 they wanted for a 2 day delivery and having this happen? Money is always the concern for these companies but how much do you save when you lose the customer?  

21 hours ago, BMack37 said:

I've received several from HD in the retail box. Drill press and multiple Milwaukee power tools.

I think the trick is to order multiple things, always. If you order an air compressor and a nozzle set, they can't ship that in the retail box. I need to start doing that, I'm not a fan of advertising what power tool is laying unattended at my front door.

Yeah @justinkendall's Milwaukee M18 7-1/4" saw came in the retail box with the packing label slapped on it from Home Depot. Thankfully he was home when it arrived because I have no doubt it would have been a very enticing target for anyone who saw it on the front step. If the tool manufacturer would ship it inside a box so should the retailers.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nordraw said:

It was free shipping on something that price. It took 7 days to get it from when it shipped. Just my opinion but nothing like that should be shipped cross country without some kind of extra protection. I worked for UPS as a student and know how things are treated. What is LTL?

Less than truck load, a partial semitruck load to deliver packages directly to the consumer.

Truckload is a full trailer load, basically directly from business to business like auto parts between factories

22 hours ago, BMack37 said:

That makes sense

4 hours ago, Nordraw said:

UPS is the culprit no doubt but relying on the manufactures box is just saving money period. Have you seen Amazon ship that way? This box did not seem up to the task to say the least. Could you imagine paying the 37.50 they wanted for a 2 day delivery and having this happen? Money is always the concern for these companies but how much do you save when you lose the customer?  

That's another thing good about Amazon, I've had some rather large items shipped and they box them. Double box is definitely the way to go on anything like a compressor or drill press, anything that is heavy and the weight isn't evenly distributed...I'm sorry but cardboard, styrofoam and shipping straps aren't enough to ship those individually.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nordraw said:

Actually I have had Amazon ship things in the original boxes with just a shipping label slapped on the outside. When you check out with a large item, there's a checkbox that says something to the effect of "this item will be identifiable by the packaging. If you don't want this, check here for gift boxing". Then again, I've also gotten idiotically giant boxes from Amazon with one small thing in them, so perhaps it's up to the person on shipping duty.