Jump to content

Hardware Storage


DaveJr.

Recommended Posts

So over the years, my dad and I have accumulated a ton of nuts, bolt, screws, misc. hardware, etc., and have it stored in a bunch of different bins, boxes, container etc. A lot of it, is small amounts. My question to you guys is, how do you store small amounts of a lot of different types of hardware? What has worked for you guys and what hasn't? I would like something with somewhat small bins/dividers (DeWalt/Milwaukee organizer bins will be way too big) and can be stacked and moved easily. Oh and I don't have a huge budget to do this so that is a major factor. I have been searching the web and haven't really found anything that intrigues me so looking to the crew for help!... Thanks in advance crew!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, DaveJr. said:

So over the years, my dad and I have accumulated a ton of nuts, bolt, screws, misc. hardware, etc., and have it stored in a bunch of different bins, boxes, container etc. A lot of it, is small amounts. My question to you guys is, how do you store small amounts of a lot of different types of hardware? What has worked for you guys and what hasn't? I would like something with somewhat small bins/dividers (DeWalt/Milwaukee organizer bins will be way too big) and can be stacked and moved easily. Oh and I don't have a huge budget to do this so that is a major factor. I have been searching the web and haven't really found anything that intrigues me so looking to the crew for help!... Thanks in advance crew!

I found some cheap clear plastic clamshell cases at HD years ago and store all of my carriage bolts, nuts and washers in them. I think I paid maybe five bucks for them. They work great, the latches are plastic but hold the case closed tightly. I have a ton of systainers for my fasteners and shelf pins and hinges etc but my nuts bolts and washers are happy where they are.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What I use can be found here: http://forum.toolsinaction.com/index.php?/topic/12161-best-parts-organizers-on-the-market/

 

I have a couple of those for the common stuff and then I have hanging and "stacking" bins as well as some of the drawer-type organizers and some plano fishing lure organizers for stuff like rivets, nutserts and my SAE tap set (and accompanying screws). I'll probably do something similar with my Metric tap set's hardware but that set is a lot larger.

 

Example of my rotary accessories:

DgqzGNw.jpg

 

SAE tap and hardware kit:

1fogdcD.jpg

 

Those plano organizers are under $4 for the big one and under $3 for the small one, so I use them for audio connectors and spare leads, basically everything.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, BMack37 said:

What I use can be found here: http://forum.toolsinaction.com/index.php?/topic/12161-best-parts-organizers-on-the-market/

 

I have a couple of those for the common stuff and then I have hanging and "stacking" bins as well as some of the drawer-type organizers and some plano fishing lure organizers for stuff like rivets, nutserts and my SAE tap set (and accompanying screws). I'll probably do something similar with my Metric tap set's hardware but that set is a lot larger.

 

Example of my rotary accessories:

DgqzGNw.jpg

 

SAE tap and hardware kit:

1fogdcD.jpg

 

Those plano organizers are under $4 for the big one and under $3 for the small one, so I use them for audio connectors and spare leads, basically everything.

Thems the ones I gots!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For the most part I stopped saving misc screws, nuts and bolts etc. I have a great hardware store a few blocks from my house so I just buy as I need it.  

 

With that said I have about 6 of these that I like http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-15-Compartment-Interlocking-Small-Parts-Organizer-Black-2-Pack-320034/204515485.

 

I also have a bunch of these for the common use stuff. http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-10-Compartment-Deep-Pro-Small-Parts-Organizer-DWST14825/203367153

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Over the years I have scaled down what I keep, aside from the normal stuff used often. I have a few DEWALT tough boxes and a couple of heavy duty  plastic bins also. They seem to do the trick and very simple

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hardware is in about 4 different places in my shop depending what it is.

 

Towards the center right I have a traditional bolt bin which holds bolts, nuts, washers, etc that I purchase by the pound.  It also has tie wraps, threaded wood inserts and T-nuts along with a few other things.

 

Below that I have Bosch L-Boxx drawers and L-Boxx hinge lid containers . Each of those has a mix of things from Automotive electrical like fuses and crimp connectors, to hot rod anodized fittings for fuel and nitrous to stainless specialty hardware. One has anchors like tap-cons and lag type.

 

58f395ed8bb44_8(Medium).thumb.jpg.a460bbff121272af5c5a79504639e148.jpg

 


This center bench has a Festool sortainer with bits for screw guns and various other specialty wood screws, shelf brackets, etc.  The Lboxx containers on the left are for audio misc hardware, ham radio Misc Hardware, One has small nails and pneumatic nailer pins and nails and the last one has normal wood screws in brass and steel.

58f395ef7891b_shop(Medium).thumb.jpg.6acc091f66cbef4ae6da27885197c71c.jpg

 

In my rolling work bench I have a systainer full of Kreg Screws and plugs

58f395ec9c9ba_3(Medium).thumb.jpg.74c116d041b06bf2e3cbd33aedb4067c.jpg

 

And finally the red storage boxes on the wall have larger deck screws, tractor related parts like hydraulic couplings, hitch pins and lots of other stuff I cant find a place for :)58f395ee90407_11(Medium).thumb.jpg.d078ecb23800e0a4d973088efd5abfc1.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a problem that I save everything, I think it has to do with my up bringing.....my father made a lot of his own jigs and tools ect ect only because back then they didn't have a Rockler store you could go buy it from. I've seen many times he would use something nothing to do with what it was suppose to be use for by flipping it over and simply drilling a couple holes in it. So I got this you never know when I will use it kinda thing.....so ya I got all kinds of stuff everywhere.....only problem is I try to have it all visible or I will look all day for something and not find it......

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Could just get ole reliable Stanley organizers. This is a DeWALT organizer with smaller bins than the tough system

http://www.dewalt.com/en-us/products/gear-and-equipment/tool-storage/20-compartment-pro-organizer/dwst14830

A fishing lure box could almost work. The compartments in many are pretty small.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Jronman said:

Could just get ole reliable Stanley organizers. This is a DeWALT organizer with smaller bins than the tough system

http://www.dewalt.com/en-us/products/gear-and-equipment/tool-storage/20-compartment-pro-organizer/dwst14830

A fishing lure box could almost work. The compartments in many are pretty small.

 

 

My Dad used a fishing box for storing electrical connections, clips, fuses, wire, tools, etc You can store a LOT in a rather small tackle box, plus they're normally lightweight so they're easy to carry when they're loaded up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 11:10 AM, BMack37 said:

 

My Dad used a fishing box for storing electrical connections, clips, fuses, wire, tools, etc You can store a LOT in a rather small tackle box, plus they're normally lightweight so they're easy to carry when they're loaded up.

 

I agree, a small tackle box would probably fit the OP's needs perfectly.  I use one for my dress uniform kit: spare ribbons, buttons, safety pins, and more reside in the three tiered organizer, while furniture polish, tape, and a rag fit in the bottom.  I also like the Keter cantilever organizers, though those may be too big for the OP's needs.  Lowe's and Walmart both sell them, while Home Depot has a slightly different style with their Husky branding.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, fm2176 said:

 

I agree, a small tackle box would probably fit the OP's needs perfectly.  I use one for my dress uniform kit: spare ribbons, buttons, safety pins, and more reside in the three tiered organizer, while furniture polish, tape, and a rag fit in the bottom.  I also like the Keter cantilever organizers, though those may be too big for the OP's needs.  Lowe's and Walmart both sell them, while Home Depot has a slightly different style with their Husky branding.

 

Fishing lure boxes are next to nothing second hand too, at least if you're on the Gulf, ocean coastline or probably large lakes. I don't think I know someone without a tackle box in FL hahaa

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Stercorarius said:

Also kinda curious if harbor freight or anyone has some cheaper ones. Looking for some myself for miscellaneous UHF connectors and harness components as I do a shit ton of Motorola installs.

 

http://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage/part-storage.html?limit=60

 

The quality isn't great on them but they'll work. Probably worth buying elsewhere if you're going to move them around just for some additional robustness. The plano boxes for under $4 is a steal, those are made in the USA and can stand pretty good drops. Plano's cheaper (Same price) boxes aren't as robust as these clearance boxes are...the large one can store quite a bit but not sure how much storage you need. Do you want tools in the box as well?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BMack37 said:

 

http://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage/part-storage.html?limit=60

 

The quality isn't great on them but they'll work. Probably worth buying elsewhere if you're going to move them around just for some additional robustness. The plano boxes for under $4 is a steal, those are made in the USA and can stand pretty good drops. Plano's cheaper (Same price) boxes aren't as robust as these clearance boxes are...the large one can store quite a bit but not sure how much storage you need. Do you want tools in the box as well?

No tools just trying to get away from this:

IMG_20170420_095113.thumb.jpg.12137ea43ff7978a165e2e49861e8522.jpg

Are there any retailers that carry planos in store other than online?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll eventually have a hardware cabinet, but for the time being I have this set-up. The empty one will house metric, but I haven't sorted my tub of metric stuff out yet. The drawers aren't really hardware. Mostly supplies. Plumbing, Electrical, Flooring, Paint & Drywall, Welding, Electronics, Automotive, Power Equipment, and Books & Manuals all have a dedicated drawer. The others are surplus tools. One for Proto and one for all others. 

 

IMG_7493.thumb.JPG.51d6aeaeccd298bd7a91e1dbc0e259ea.JPG

 

Other items reside on a smaller organizer on my bench and the bins hold frequently used nails and screws.

 

IMG_7494.JPG.24cfa24c4cd0c9b32fdf74415b346cd8.JPG

 

The tubs are the result of my recent purge of excess shit. The coffee cans hold knobs & pulls, large bolts, and another holds hinges and latches. You can also see my sweet new pencil sharpener. What a fabulous use of $25 that was. 

 

IMG_7495.JPG.e54c4fb142a0b2cb9d0a107fe1000486.JPG

 

I'll never be happy with my shop until I do it the way I want, but this gets me by for the time being.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

No tools just trying to get away from this:

IMG_20170420_095113.thumb.jpg.12137ea43ff7978a165e2e49861e8522.jpg

Are there any retailers that carry planos in store other than online?

 

Walmart, clearance is in-store. Though I'm not sure of how much your area may carry. Plano is kinda like Dremel, it's everywhere they sell fishing stuff. The Husky stuff from HD would work too but Plano is better IMO.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Member Statistics

    18,246
    Total Members
    6,555
    Most Online
    Steve27
    Newest Member
    Steve27
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...