20v Caulking Gun Yay or Nay

JakeDewalt

I am thinking about buying the 20v Caulk Gun

Have started using OSI Caulk and it's tough on the hand. 

Mainly will I'll be using for exterior caulking of Siding, Fascia, Trim, and Soffit.

Can I bump it for filling nail holes 

I've got one, the 18v Milwaukee versions. Sausage and cartridge types. They're awesome, mostly used for the Sika or polyurethane products. Or just when I have a lot of it to do. They are faster, but until you master the speed control they can be messy.

Still use the manual versions as well.

9 hours ago, framer said:

you caulk nail holes? that shrinks and leaves divots.

We Blind Nail Everything we can

Bit Trim, Fascia, Soffit must be face nailed.

Soffit we set the depth to just above flush and no caulk is necessary.

Fascia and Trim we countersink the nails and fill 2 times with caulk.  

1st pass is the fill and 2nd pass the next day to fill shrinkage.

6 hours ago, Framer joe said:

Never heard of caulking to fill nail holes...for azek (plastic trim) painters use bond and fill ...doesn't shrink...and for pine they use glazing compound

And for Cedarmill fiber cement where you don't want a smooth finish you want to try imitating the grain?

A simple dab of caulking and a pass or two with the thumb going with the grain works magic for me

I know @Jronman...but I don't buy Everything Dewalt..(.I would if they had it)mostly everything but Dewalt doesn't make many of the cordless tools I need now and have used for years......I'm seriously looking at a hybrid Festool 5" orbital sander...looks real nice... @ChrisK would know more then me about it...........definitely don't buy everything DeWalt, just because they make it, but I will buy a tool that looks cool and never use it...

58 minutes ago, Framer joe said:

I know @Jronman...but I don't buy Everything Dewalt..(.I would if they had it)mostly everything but Dewalt doesn't make many of the cordless tools I need now and have used for years......I'm seriously looking at a hybrid Festool 5" orbital sander...looks real nice... @ChrisK would know more then me about it...........definitely don't buy everything DeWalt, just because they make it, but I will buy a tool that looks cool and never use it...

October 2 is release date for those sanders. I may try em as a second sander but I'm trying to get the rotex 150 so I can fine sand but also MORE POWA sand as well.

I had the 18v Dewalt caulk gun.

It was very useful to blow up caulk tubes. Then it quit working.

I use the heavy duty gun from HD. They quit working after a couple months, but they're only like $15.

You can put Quad Max in the microwave for 30 seconds. Leaving it on the dashboard in direct sunlight helps as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Mordekyle said:

I had the 18v Dewalt caulk gun.

It was very useful to blow up caulk tubes. Then it quit working.

I use the heavy duty gun from HD. They quit working after a couple months, but they're only like $15.

You can put Quad Max in the microwave for 30 seconds. Leaving it on the dashboard in direct sunlight helps as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip.

I did notice the sunlight thing. The pumping got easier as the caulking warmed up.

1 hour ago, Framer joe said:

Ya we don't use glue ,per say ...the 3/4" deck ply we use is ...Advantec .i think a 50yr warranty...and advantec has a spray foam glue under pressure that works all year round no problem....

Advantec seems like good quality osb. The guys at work say it doesn't swell. 

Ya it doesn't swell at all....3/4 fir ply can buckle when wet.....the floor lays perfectly flat especially when using ..TJI engineered joist system and LVL, PSL posts and beams.....it's a great product....so no caulking gun needed when using the cans of foam and applicator nozzle....

5 minutes ago, Framer joe said:

Ya it doesn't swell at all....3/4 fir ply can buckle when wet.....the floor lays perfectly flat especially when using ..TJI engineered joist system and LVL, PSL posts and beams.....it's a great product....so no caulking gun needed when using the cans of foam and applicator nozzle....

our crew uses caulking guns. I've never seen any foam adhesive used. They foam the windows for insulation but thats it.

21 minutes ago, Jronman said:

Advantec seems like good quality osb. The guys at work say it doesn't swell. 

It's the best subfloor you can buy. It is real hard and dense and doesn't swell. 

Used to frame lots of multifamily units, and have installed thousands of those sheets!

• Like 1

Just now, framer said:

It's the best subfloor you can buy. It is real hard and dense and doesn't swell. 

Used to frame lots of multifamily units, and have installed thousands of those sheets!

the guys at work used some 3/4 advantec flooring as wall sheathing for siding job we had.

3 minutes ago, framer said:

How come? Siding need more support?? 

well it may have something to do with insurance. Some windows were leaking and they decided to redo the sheathing on one of the walls. I think another reason was so they could look at the framing.