Combo Wrenches: What are you using?

Conductor562

Combo wrenches are one of those tools that I have way more of than I'll ever need. I have 7 sets that go to at least 1" and 2 of the 7 are Metric. Proto is my brand of choice. Plomb, which became Proto as the result of a lawsuit in the late 1940's, was the first company to market the combo wrench in 1933 and IMHO they offer the best quality for price ratio in the business. Combo's and sockets are the staples of any hand tool lineup IMO and are 2 tools you can't skimp on the quality. What are you guys using and how do you like them?

Snap On,they don't cover anything wore out and you have to break the tool to replace it.With Snap On,they are way overpriced and the wrench handles for the smaller wrenches are too pointy hurting your hand.

I could never justify Snap-On prices either. As I've said before, that truck doesn't run on hopes and dreams, it runs on mark-up.

• Like 1

I have no experience with their combos. That being said, I've been happy with the level of quality you get for the price with Tekton. Tekton customer service is awesome! I've seen lots of examples on Amazon and such where they've actually sought out people who left negative reviews to make things right. They have a no questions asked warranty as well. Tekton isn't offering Snap-On quality, but they aren't asking Snap-On prices either.

I love my Proto ASD combos and while I don't wrench for a living, I use them almost daily. They're affordable for the level of quality you get, but still a little pricy for occasional use or someone starting out.

I really don't care much for the new Craftsman combos. They look awesome, but the open end is huge!

I wouldn't have any reservations about giving the Tekton's a shot. At that price, factoring in the warranty and the ease of utilizing it, you can't go wrong. If you choose to upgrade in the future you can throw the Tekton's in a truck box for a road set.

• 3 months later...

I've heard of SK trucks, but they are very rare and SK is not a significant player in the truck market....yet. Snap-On is over priced and Mac and Matco are nearly as high and in most cases, lower quality. If SK makes a serious play in the truck market they could be very successful IMO.

Ideal owns enough brands to put out an SK branded version of just about everything. They'd have to rebrand some automotive specialty tools, but between the SK, Ideal, and Western Forge, holdings, they've got a lot of capability sitting in their lap. 

• 2 months later...

Although I agree with the comments about snap-ons prices, and I hate to be "that guy" because I'm new here....

Snap-on wrenches grip the fastener like none other.

Next time your on the truck bring your wrench and get the dealer to do the "wrench demo"

If you turn wrenches all day your basically stuck buying the expensive tools, as far as hand tools go anyway