Milwaukee, Makita, Dewalt or Irwin

Eric - TIA

• 2 weeks later...

My first impact bits were the Milwaukee shockwave and man was I disappointed. They wear out super quick and the grip is terrible. They were very irritating to use. I still have a couple from the original set I bought because I hate using them. Those were p#2 bits and they are a bit smaller than standard #2 bits. Quickly after I bought the Milwaukee I bought a impact set from dewalt and none have disappointed. Long life and great grip. Although I prefer the Milwaukee impact magnetic bit holders over the dewalts.

I cant offer much on which brand is better, although I do appreciate everyones input as it helps me choose what accessories to buy. For some outside work I have moved away from square bits and have gone to the torx as they seem to grip better and strip less for what I have done so far. The dewalt bits I was using would strip some of the screws out and after a couple screws got stripped the bit was rounding up and was becoming useless. These were just cheap dewalt bits that were on sale. I guess I learned to spend the extra on any of the bits mentioned here, to save the frustration of stripped heads. Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Worth a read: click

.....That being said, I keep both Milwaukee and DeWalt bits on my truck. I do think the DeWalt bits hold up a little better. But, I always reach for the Milwaukee for two reasons: The case is smaller and it has the longer bits. 

I use mine for fairly easy work though, so my opinion might differ than those who use them extensively.

Interesting read and results!

I may just give some of those Bosch ribbed a try.

To date, in my own experience as a contractor, I've liked the Milwaukee Shockwave the best. I've not had any problems with them breaking or stripping out that I can remember. Had a few that I've worn out, and retired, but no failures. But I don't beat on my tools either - I try to take really good care of them!

• 1 month later...

I have used Makita gold, Milwaukee Shockwave, and the Dewalt bits. I have to say for an impact driver 1. Makita gold bits. 2. Dewalt bits. 3. Milwaukee shockwave. I hate the shockwave bits. I have twisted almost all of the bits that came in my large set. Dewalts seem to work good. Makita's are by far the best. they last the longest and the coating does not ware off after time and use like the shockwave bits.

• 3 months later...

Based on the pz2 bits

Dewalt - Tend to snap them quickly on site...Cheapest out the range

Milwaukee - Never used them but heard really good things about them

Wera - Dominate the market and I've never seen one snap. Cost a bit but there we'll worth it..

Makita -Currently using..great value & last longer than the Dewalts

Impact bits I like the shockwave, they might not be the toughest but I like the fact that they will dull and not strip heads nearly as much as the competition! Like conductor said! I'm with him. Spade bits is simple Irwin speedbor, augers I like the Milwaukee version, masonry is hands down hilti and a kinda close Bosch

I like my Dewalt Impact Ready bits, I tries the Milwaukee Shockwave when helping a friend finish his basement, broke 2 bits in the first 30min of use, I might have gotten a bad batch but put a sour taste in my mouth, I just bought some Makita Golds, we'll see how these go, I haven't been 100% sold on these torsion bits yet, and now dewalt is coming out with a set....

• Like 1

Guess that technically depends what kind of "bits" we are talking about here.

Wera = defiantely cream of the crop as far socket bits.

Dewalt flextorq seem pretty good too.

For drill bits,since i work in a machine shop i wouldnt use anything other than precision or rocky mountain twist drills for regular drills.

Just pick up the makita golds and the new dewalt maxfit bits to test out. Been mainly a fan of the shockwave bits for so long. Just wanted to test out the different magnet screw holders. Also i believe that dewalt changed the name from flextorq to maxfit

I have been waiting for a thread like this to pop up.  I use mainly torx bits and have dewalt, shockwave, and Makita's gold ones and have also tried some Irwin ones from time to time.  I really like the shockwave and buy the most of those usually, but I have recently picked up some of the new Makita gold bits and really like them as well.  I tend to loose or hand out too many bits to actually use one until its wore out but I will get shockwave ones that the star pattern will twist as it wears and will eventually get thrown when it wont make consistent contact with the screw. 

For reference we use a lot of #9x3 and #10x3.5 screws in treated lumber and timbers all year round so they get tested.  For larger GRK style lags I really like the APEX brand bit and holder I got from someone way back when and usually have a real hard time finding replacement bits for it.

I have seen and read reviews comparing Phillips bits, but would love to see a similar review on t25 bits.  Hint, hint, hint.

I would also say that how bits wear depends on the impact gun used.  I have brushed and brushless Makita that usually do the best and the new fuel impacts run soo hard they are usually the worst on bits and will sometimes break or fracture the tip of the bit.

• 3 weeks later...

I've broken a dewalt bit and wore out a couple of milwaukee shock waves, though the dewalts did last longer " black ones" I bought a new dewalt flex black impact bit the other day from sears and have already wore it down and I tried the grey one which seems a bit more better quality.