The fine line between babying and beating your tools

Anonymous

The other day my co-worker and I were up on a roof dissembling some scaffolding when his drill died, so out of laziness and for safeties sake, I slid my impact driver down the roof to him.  I knew it wouldn't do any damage other than cosmetic, but I still groaned.

So my question is, are you the type to baby your tools, or give em' a little abuse cause thats what they were made for?

• Like 1

I guess I ride the line as well. I use my tools daily and don't toss them around or abuse them. I'm not afraid to use them though. I make sure at the end of the day to wipe whatever I used down and blow out saws, sanders and such before putting them back in my truck. To me there's nothing worse then grabbing for something and there's a big glob of grease or something on it.

Currently fighting this battle with one of my guys. He buys nice tools but anytime we work out of his truck I can't believe how dirty his stuff is....

That's the advantage I have. I use my tools as intended FOR FUN or for my own home mostly. I clean them after each use and NEVER lend them out. Period. Now in my new line these tools will last many years and I want to keep them in top shape. But it's easy for me, I'm not crawling around attics or basements or jumping from roof ledges(do I look like a kitty cat boy??? Do I???) beating my tools mercilessly for a job.

• Like 2

When they are new I'm babying them, but that will pass once it shows they get used a lot. I still take care of my tools. Whenever something breaks I don't go and try to make my own parts, but I order factory spare parts and fix it myself.

And I clean them regularly. Not beating my tools like tossing them around. Though they get some good and sometimes heavy use.

• 2 weeks later...

As above ^^^^. Always put them down stood up as well,if it's something like a hammer drill for instance and I know it's

Getting filthy then itl get treated with a little less care,but I wouldn't be sliding them about or down a roof MIKE HOOVER Lol,

You can't take the chance with some tools like the Paslode im65 nailer,there super temperamental and only work perfect 75% of the time as it is..

I like to keep my tools clean and comfortable in my hand, but I bought dewalt 20v hammer drill and it couldn't hold up to being knocked around a little, then I wouldn't have bought it. But that doesn't mean you should test the warranty, I replaced all my soft case bags with tool bags and put a belt hook on every tool I could get one on so I wouldn't have to lay them on roofs.

• Like 1

My hand tools get used and abused as hard as I need to, but i always clean them up when im done whatever project.  I ride differently on the power tools tho, those are my babies and i try to keep them as "new" looking as possible.  I still remember the first scuff I gave my newer Milwaukee hammer drill. I was so pissed haha

I'm like everybody else. I clean them everytime after I used them and put them back in the hard case. I guess I should say I baby all my dewalts a lot more than my ryobis... But thats why I have both. I kinda abuse my ryobis. Since I almost don't care if they break or get lost. But I'm gonna say I'm very impressed of my green ryobi set( some blue one I still have) that I have been using for over 3years. They are still holding up well, but I have to fix 2 of the 3 battery packs I got. Which it doesn't cost much to fix on the older li-ion pack;)

Interesting topic.  I tend to take alot of care with all my tools. I'm cheap when I buy into tools its generally for the long haul. I always buy the best stuff I can.

I have tools in my roll away at work that are over 20 years old,yet you'd never really tell. Sure they have some scratches and dings here and there but they function perfectly.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I don't baby them, nor do I beat on them. I've spent a great deal of money on my tools, and I also enjoy them, so I'm not going to go out of my way to thrash them. A craftsman doesn't thrash his stuff, a hack does. Conversely, they are tools, and I'm making a living with them, so I don't make any effort to keep them pristine.

• Like 3

I baby them while they are still new and shiny. Once they build up the natural wear and tear, I beat the crap out of them. This all goes back to a Dewalt corded drill that I have had for 10+ years. I can't tell you how many times this thing has slide off a 30' roof without any problems. Still works great. Tools like that are meant to wear marks on them. Shows character.