Kreg Jigs

kdubward

I'm looking to buy a Kreg pocket hole jig, and I'm not sure whether the K5 is worth the extra $40.  I have done lots of research but if the K4 does basically the same job, why should I buy the K5?   I won't be using it tons, but is it worth the extra money for the newer model?

Thanks

The big difference in between the two is with the k5 you have the longer arms that come out for support/storage. They will both get the job done. Kreg Jig is a staple in many cabinet makers toolbox. I use my k5 all the time! So to answer your question I think the k4 will probably be sufficient to do what your needing it to and to save 40 bucks.

I have the Kreg K4 system and have had it for the last 5ish? years. I will say the only thing I wish mine had was the vacuum attachment that the K5 has but to be quite honest, $40 is $40 and I like the clamp in the front on mine so....I'd go K4. Use the saving to buy more screws!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I had a K4 and its a good little tool. I had the opportunity to pick up a K5 on clearance and everything about it is worth the extra $40. The clamp is on the drill side so no reaching around which can be tough with larger stock. The adjustment process for different thicknesses is much easier and faster. Then the support/storage wings really help out.

As I've stated above, the Kreg Foreman is the cats meow when it comes to pocket holes. Granted $399 is a bit much, if you can manage to find one used or maybe a display or returned item at a store like lowes, I strongly suggest picking that up. The only reason I bought one was because Lowes had the price marked incorrectly and they had to honor it. $250 and I snuck in a coupon to get it down to I think $200.

• 3 weeks later...

I only have the cheap kreg pocket jig and it's pretty cool to use. Only problem with the small one is that it becomes a pain if you have to drill a bunch of holes.

I like both the K4 and the K5, but If I'm not mistaken, I believe the K5 has a better clamping mechanism. I think it adjusts to whatever thickness of material that you are working with. With the K4, I think you have to screw the foot in or out to accommodate the material you are working with. Don't quote me on this, I'm sure other's are more knowledgeable than me since I don't have either the K4 or the K5.