New Shop Underway!

ChrisK

Well, like all stories this one is coming to an end. My wife and I put an offer on a property in the lakes region. My little shop is nearly closed and hasn't been in use for a month now but in October a new shop is in the works.

The new digs will have room for our future child, a couple of horses and endless work. Our new home God willing is a 1911 Four Square craftsman with an attached carriage house. The second floor of that carriage house will be my new shop! My wife and our bun in the oven are pretty stoked [emoji3]

image.jpeg

Wow wow uummhhmm nice!! I wish so bad my garage was attached, that's a huge huge bonus right there in my mind, you get more snow than I do too I believe so you know what that's like in the winter. Hope it works out, plus your wife is going to start"nesting" soon lol!!

Needs a new roof, paint job, but the location is like my dream property with the trees around it. Here in Ohio there are a lot of houses built in corners of farm land and there are no trees around, I couldn't stand that, love having a few big trees around

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks @KnarlyCarl had a roofer over today for an estimate. My wife and I are getting the house for a steal, about 75k less than its original list and plenty of room for our horse and possibly a second one. I'll try to grab some interior shots but the truth is I don't have to do ANYTHING inside. Everything is original hard wood, finished and no paint on any wood surface (minus the kitchen cabinets but I'm building my own so....). My handy work will be limited to a first floor master bath remodel, re building the rear deck and pulling all of the columns of the front porch and refinishing and rebuilding the bases. I'll be contracting for a new roof and some paint chip removal. My wife and I will be painting and seletting some pretty nice colors God willing if the inspections go well tomorrow. All in all I was talking to my neighbor tonight and he and his wife almost bought it when it was listed for $250k and he visibly blanched when I told him what I paid. The carriage house is absolutely amazing and even has a full drive out basement. Electrical in the house has been re done at 200amp and I will have a new panel put into the carriage house and I will wire the shop and garage (Chris don't do panels). My shop is going to be above the garage, the entire second floor is open access for my new digs :D

The woods to the side will be cleared to the pasture and maybe next spring I'll start building our horse, Blizzard's new home, a pole barn.

Annnnnnnnnnd.......fell through!

New offer today, accepted, and closing September 12th Might be a basement shop again but we just checked out some 14x32 single space garages for the next new digs........my finger nails can't take anymore!!!!

Newer built completely out in the woods with an acre, full dormer on the back, 1700sq feet. Basement is huge but if I go the second structure route it'll be quite a ways back in the woods. I'll eventually build a two car garage and convert the shop into a 2 bay barn if I decide to buy the structure. 

image.jpeg

• Like 4

That first while nice looked like it was going to need a lot of work which is cool if you were up to it Chris. It still sucks losing out on something you were excited for though. This new house looks like its move in ready. The window rattler ac units are kinda ugly though :) Putting up a big garage or pole barn up would be a fun project.

58 minutes ago, DR99 said:

That first while nice looked like it was going to need a lot of work which is cool if you were up to it Chris. It still sucks losing out on something you were excited for though. This new house looks like its move in ready. The window rattler ac units are kinda ugly though :) Putting up a big garage or pole barn up would be a fun project.

That's New England for you dude. Too many cold days and not,enough hot ones. That is why I spent a half hour looking at pellet stoves today. Totally,blessed to have this listing which I originally wanted pop back up and saved an extra 4k

4 minutes ago, kruton said:

Sorry it fell through brother. I was really looking forward to seeing pictures of the inside.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Thanks Kruton. When I think about it I'm so blessed all the time it's okay. This is actually a beautiful home so......

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

Thanks Kruton. When I think about it I'm so blessed all the time it's okay. This is actually a beautiful home so......

This is true... but that attached garage...

It's probably a deep rooted loathing, as we grew up with a separate garage and had to fight our way out to it in the deep snow of Michigan LOL

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

This is true... but that attached garage...

It's probably a deep rooted loathing, as we grew up with a separate garage and had to fight our way out to it in the deep snow of Michigan LOL

Yep no attached Garage with my house either here in Michigan :( They started to be a thing in the 70's

Sorry it fell thru Chris... I know you were looking forward to it ...

new place looks great too !!

your new shop will be all you want it to be , whether it's in the woods or the basement . It will work out .. It always does for good people !!!!!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Craigh9916 said:

I haven't even got a garage never mind an attached one lol :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks @Foneguy

@Craigh9916 yeah it's been a dream of mine for several years (20 to be exact!) to have a garage. We get a lot of snow in winter and cleaning off the cars a couple of times a day and moving them for snow blowing is a pain in the butt. I'm looking to stick build a garage to the right of our new home (God willing!!!!) in the wood line. The propert is only an acre but it's smack in the middle of some deep woods. Most of the lot is wooded and I will start clearing some out for my Wife's horse once we get settled in. Tons of trails around for her to ride so once it's all done I would like to have a separate two car and a small barn. I would move the shop one more time to the second floor of the garage if all of that happens. The base,net is actually a perfect size for a medium shop, way more room, totally dry and 9' ceilings but my Wife has it in her head to have me have a separate building for my shop and she doesn't want to wait for me to build it.

• Like 1

Thanks @Foneguy

@Craigh9916 yeah it's been a dream of mine for several years (20 to be exact!) to have a garage. We get a lot of snow in winter and cleaning off the cars a couple of times a day and moving them for snow blowing is a pain in the butt. I'm looking to stick build a garage to the right of our new home (God willing!!!!) in the wood line. The propert is only an acre but it's smack in the middle of some deep woods. Most of the lot is wooded and I will start clearing some out for my Wife's horse once we get settled in. Tons of trails around for her to ride so once it's all done I would like to have a separate two car and a small barn. I would move the shop one more time to the second floor of the garage if all of that happens. The base,net is actually a perfect size for a medium shop, way more room, totally dry and 9' ceilings but my Wife has it in her head to have me have a separate building for my shop and she doesn't want to wait for me to build it.

That does sound amazing , sounds great being in the woods !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Man, we are having a baby. We wanted more property and our house sold the very day we started showing it. The problem in my area is, as soon as you list a house, it sells. This is a new phenomenon. There used to be time to look but houses are regularly selling the same day so homes are getting harder to come by. Hopefully the water inspection goes well Wednesday after our 20 week ultrasound. If so, I'll see our child AND have a solid commitment on my end to buy the home!

• Like 3

On August 14, 2016 at 5:50 AM, ChrisK said:

Man, we are having a baby. We wanted more property and our house sold the very day we started showing it. The problem in my area is, as soon as you list a house, it sells. This is a new phenomenon. There used to be time to look but houses are regularly selling the same day so homes are getting harder to come by. Hopefully the water inspection goes well Wednesday after our 20 week ultrasound. If so, I'll see our child AND have a solid commitment on my end to buy the home!

It's well on its way to working out my friend ...... Best of luck !!

• Like 1

On 8/14/2016 at 5:50 AM, ChrisK said:

Exciting times!! It only gets better too!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys, it's official. I do not own a part of America any longer. We move in to my in laws home three nights ago and I have settled into the homeless obscurity that haunts our country. And....on the 12th we close on the new home! No shop right now, limited tools, it's crazy! After a week of lifting heavy equipment and furniture I am sitting down right now and am about to have a cup of joe and get caught up on the best damn forum on the planet and dream about my new shop. 

• Like 3