New Shop Underway!

ChrisK

13 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Thats probably a return air register, being on the wall, so that wouldn't work so well. But it could be a supply, having moveable vanes.... just thinking out loud

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Right-O, Not Carl! It's the air return. I wanted to do the other side diagonally across but that's the vent

Kind of a crazy week here at my home. One thing, really,really, REALLY crazy! That'll wait for now. The second thing? I actually got my first commission today! It's kind of a joke but I'll get a couple of bucks out of it and I will end up making some cut outs of animals for another Troopers wife. Kind of funny to me, I panicked when he called me this morning and asked and I was like....."gee, I'll try it out Joe but I'm not sure, I've never done anything like that before". He sent me the pics and I was like, "yup, I got it".  I will give them a whirl this weekend on my scroll saw, which I have never even used in the almost five years I've owned it and  I know she does a lot of community stuff and has worked in the ad industry so who knows, maybe some day care centers or something might want some of these? Ends up this request came none too soon as I just ordered an Auriou cabinet makers rasp to finish the saddle rack I am building my wife and this should come out with the final roughing of the cutouts

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/cabinet-makers-rasps-9-inch-cabinet-left-hand-

• Like 1

And here is the new unfinished pantry assembled and hung (temporarily) in the kitchen where she will rest!

Legs....Lathe Turned Ash (got the original species wrong!)

False Stretchers....3/4" Birch Plywood

Shelves (4)....3/4" Birch Plywpod

Carcass....3/4" Birch Plywood 

Face Frame....1" Poplar

Rails and Stiles.....1" Poplar

Door Inset.....1/4" Birch Plywood

Edge Banding done in Birch.

Tools Used....Sawstop CNS175TGP, Festool TS55REQ, Festool OF1400, Festool LR32, Festool DF500Q, Rikon Midi Lathe 70-220VSR, Rikon 14" 10-325 Bandsaw, Festool RO90DX, Bosch RO65VCL, Lie Nielsen low angle Block Plane, Makita XTP01Z, Japanese Saw, Glue. Lots and lots and lots of glue!

The door insets will be trimmed out this week and I will add magnetic latches to the doors and the root cellar. The hardware will be removed and a Danish oil with Armor Seal will be applied outdoors this week and the cabinet will be mounted between two door jams which will require me ripping one down by about 1/4" (bad measuring on my part :( ).

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 6

This was so cool watching your shop come together then seeing your build come to life, glad you took the time to share it here!! 

Also you're going to have to get used to that being in the way that you were used to being open space....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KnarlyCarl said:

This was so cool watching your shop come together then seeing your build come to life, glad you took the time to share it here!! 

Also you're going to have to get used to that being in the way that you were used to being open space....

Ha. I'm going to have to get used to a lot of things! This pantry has been earmarked by my little lady for a certain type of food storage..... Namely lots of jars. And bottles. :D

Time for Chris to do something good with his life!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

Ha. I'm going to have to get used to a lot of things! This pantry has been earmarked by my little lady for a certain type of food storage..... Namely lots of jars. And bottles. :D

Time for Chris to do something good with his life!

Ohhwhaoh reeeally?? Oh boy! ... or girl lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Ohhwhaoh reeeally?? Oh boy! ... or girl lol

I don't know dude! I have a baby sack as my wife is calling it right now. All I ask for is healthy in mind and body, 10 fingers and 10 toes! And the complete knowledge that he or she will be a woodworker!

• Like 3

Thanks guys! I hung it last night before my in laws came over for dinner. I like this! My own design, plenty of mistakes but it looks pretty  good and it's going to get a huge amount of use. Right across from this is the built I pantry which will getting some pretty large changes to match this one. I will rip off the old door, re build the shelves, add some pull out drawers and makes two new doors. It will look pretty custom!

• Like 3

Thanks guys! I hung it last night before my in laws came over for dinner. I like this! My own design, plenty of mistakes but it looks pretty  good and it's going to get a huge amount of use. Right across from this is the built I pantry which will getting some pretty large changes to match this one. I will rip off the old door, re build the shelves, add some pull out drawers and makes two new doors. It will look pretty custom!

Mistakes are hard to overcome for me because your usually the only one that will notice them. Even if you can't really see it I know it's there! Looks mistake free to me!

• Like 2

Dude, you are gonna have to take it down to build in custom kid locks on that thing! Don't worry you still have 9 months to get it done.[emoji6] [emoji533]

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Can't seem to upload the pictures angry pics I just took. It's now permanently up, I trimmed the doorjam and finished the carcass in fruitwood. The face frame and doors remain infinished till I figure out what I'm doing....paint or stain.

• Like 1

Well....it's not technically my shop but it kind of is????? Introducing the new, improved Monstah truck Tundra CrewMax SR5 TRD. Capable of allowing for a rear facing combination child seat, twenty seven adults plus dining facilities and the ability to tow a two axle trailer with two horses and still have room for a dozen sheets of the finest cabinet grade plywood!

image.jpeg

• Like 4