New Shop Underway!

ChrisK

Thanks guys :)

i found this recipe in my utility drawer. I wrote it down so long ago that my last girlfriend had added some stuff to the back piece of paper. Two batches, one without walnuts, one with. And another batch in dough waiting for Monday to get baked. Wow. I haven't baked in over a year. Good down in the shop though!

• Like 3

John, I was going to use some tiger maple I have but I ended up going poplar for ease and cost as I may be selling our home or staying, if we sell I want to make it as easy as possible but keep the high strength of the the hardwood. I'm not sure about painting or staining. The problem is if we sell, the buyer will wa t this painted to match the cabinets but if we stay, I am going to rebuild all of our cabinets I which case I will be going with a combination stain and paint. So, long story short, beats me dude but poplar paints really easy.  The case is made with high quality Baltic birch plywood. The inset piece in the doors is a 1/4 Baltic birch.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, kruton said:

Do you have the XL?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Oh Gawd no! I do have erotic dreams of it though! 

Seriously though i have the DF500 which my wife bought for me for a wedding present. The machine is awesome. It'll do up to 10mm thick dominos for super strong mortise and tenons and you can double them up. If we decide to sell our home and we buy a larger house with a barn I'll probably get the XL as having the ability to do really big tenons would be a nice feature.

i bought a couple of accessories for this machine including the Seneca Domiplate which is great for stability when the tool is not on a table.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, PROTOOLNUT said:

WOW, you really know your wood Chris. If I was going to build something, Id just go down there and pick whatever wood was the cheapest, then slap something together, cause I really don't know my woods man.

Thanks Protool, not really but I try! The poplar is a great wood as its in the hardwood family but is easy and relatively cheap to work with. Plus it's easy to paint if you decide to go that route and Home Depot and Lowes normally have it in their select piles though I try to get it at a local dealer. Not a very figured wood and in this case my wood has the poplar green tinge. I figure it's okay, if I do the whole kitchen over no one will notice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChrisK said:

John, I was going to use some tiger maple I have but I ended up going poplar for ease and cost as I may be selling our home or staying, if we sell I want to make it as easy as possible but keep the high strength of the the hardwood. I'm not sure about painting or staining. The problem is if we sell, the buyer will wa t this painted to match the cabinets but if we stay, I am going to rebuild all of our cabinets I which case I will be going with a combination stain and paint. So, long story short, beats me dude but poplar paints really easy.  The case is made with high quality Baltic birch plywood. The inset piece in the doors is a 1/4 Baltic birch.

Yeah I could see the cabinet grade plywood. But the lighting was throwing me off on the species of solid wood. At first I thought maple but in the last pic you could see it was birch. That's why I asked if you were going to paint. Looks good Chris. I hope which ever way you decide your happy. 

• Like 1

On April 18, 2016 at 11:47 PM, Glasseyi said:

Yeah I could see the cabinet grade plywood. But the lighting was throwing me off on the species of solid wood. At first I thought maple but in the last pic you could see it was birch. That's why I asked if you were going to paint. Looks good Chris. I hope which ever way you decide your happy. 

And the verdict STILL ain't out John! I'm thinking about dressing up the base a little with some moulding then putting the decorative legs on. I tried a sampling of Danish oil in cherry and fruitwood but my wife wants them darker so I'll be heading over to woodcraft and getting some walnut toned oil and give that a shot.nthen armor seal baby! Then???? Then I can hang this bad boy up and fill it with all sorts of crap and potatoes!

• Like 1

No pics today but finally finished the cabinet doors. Waiting for the hardware to get delivered but picked up a nice thick piece of maple to turn the legs on. The cabinet shelves are done and sander. I might try finishing tomorrow wth a Danish oil and some armor seal. Looking good!

• Like 4

No pics today but finally finished the cabinet doors. Waiting for the hardware to get delivered but picked up a nice thick piece of maple to turn the legs on. The cabinet shelves are done and sander. I might try finishing tomorrow wth a Danish oil and some armor seal. Looking good!

Can't wait to see Chris!

30 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

Just came up from the shop. Finished turning the spindles, block planed the squares now I've got to carve out the corners. Might add a rounded cross piece.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Nice Chris, I didn't know you are a wood turner too. When I grow up I want to be like Chris lol. 

• Like 3