New Shop Underway!

ChrisK

I had my Mother and Father in Law over for din ear this weekend. My mother in law is really cool and loves the shop and I promised to show her how to use the lathe. She looked over at the rack of clamps and asked me why I had so many....

I had my Mother and Father in Law over for din ear this weekend. My mother in law is really cool and loves the shop and I promised to show her how to use the lathe. She looked over at the rack of clamps and asked me why I had so many....

lol and you still probably don't have enough....

So with this it appears I'll be making this top into a rolling outfeed assembly table. I'm planning on moving my Rolair compressor to this table and possibly adding some small part / tool drawers to include moving my Dado stack and other saw accessories right to the table. I have to size it accordingly as this spring will probably see me moving outside so I need to fit it out a narrow bulk head. It's funny when you sit down and start a new project and watch it flourish into something different. What was going to be 2x4 doubles up legs will end up being my second piece of shop furniture. My mobile sanding / assembly table is doing great but it's very narrow and tall so assembly isn't working out the way I wanted it to. This will be so what smaller but wider, ah......never plan anything, fly by the seat of your pants. My personal motto.

I'm sure you will figure out what is best for you, the good thing is having the ability to make what you need and not rely on someone else to do it for you. good work chris.......its like opening up a business, for the first while you are working 100% for the business and then it finally starts giving back rewards.....

Thanks a lot Wigwag! This one is the Domino DF500 which makes mortises for free floating tenons made out of solid beechwood or Sipo (though you can make them out of any hardwood).

I just finished up the casement, she is perfectly squared. I used 24 dominos for this casement spaced approximately 4-5" apart. I glues and then used my Dewalt finish nailer to hold her in place as the plywood is about a year old and has warped slightly. Not too bad having it squared right center! I made a 28" box that will eventually have two drawers for parts for the saw. The second opening is going to be my compressor station. I will have my Rolair JC10 compressor and two air guns in there. The top will be removable and it will roll on 3" heavy duty rubber casters that lock individually. I'm going to let the cabinet dry up and play some BF4 and then head down in an hour or so and play some more.

• Like 1

Thanks Jimbo and Protool. I'll be adding a 3/4" backing to the unit and then add the top which I'll be able to be switched out as needed. The carcass will be the main stay for the unit with the added power strip. I'm thinking about adding a roll away line for my air hose but that might be wasteful. Although I built my work bench the year before last this is definitely going to double as my assembly table. All plywood on this unit and pretty solid to boot. Tomorrow I'll be sanding and adding a light finish and was to to the top. I ended up using the lions share of my last piece of plywood on the shelf and the over sized heavy drawer wo I'll have to pick up another sheet unless I can joint some scraps for the back. I've been making this entirely out of shop wood and haven't had to buy anything but more glue for this one. I'd like to keep it that way.

• Like 1