Morris Chair.

chewie17

Hey all, heres another project I did a few years ago for a Co-op end of the year culminating. its made out of oak and took me 2 weeks to build. I got some plans online, cant remember from where. a made a few changes for ease of assembly and to suit my skillset at the time.

this was my first larger scale project in fine furniture. and for me I think it went pretty well, again I know I made some mistakes but it was a lesson well learned!

Enjoy!

• Like 3

thank you Jason, im looking forward to doing some more projects... just waiting for the right one to challenge myself a little more, I would love to get into some more router work because im lacking in that area mainly because I have a cheap router and bit set that somewhat limits my imagination. haha

Routers are a big area that can get expensive quickly..

if you ever have any router or router table questions please feel free to ask.

As for bits, buy good bits and just buy them as you need them.. no need to buy a big kit. Even if it "saves some money" you might end up never using some of them which is a waste of money and the high up front cost could make it hard to get a quality set. If your doing jobs for paying customers you could always work in the cost for the necessary bits for their project

• Like 1

thank you, I think my main question right now is what is the best table? I see festool makes a great setup but at a cost. I also saw some videos of home made tables that set the router at different angles, are there any on the market right now like that?

Chewie.....awesome job dude! Beginner schmiginner! That's a gorgeous chair dude! Morris chairs are my favorite and I have reclining one that I didn't build so that's a great feat sir!

As far as routers, yes Festool is awesome. I've got the 1010 and the 1400. But I've also got the Bosch EVS1617 and love that machine. Porter Cable still makes great routers too. A lot of guys here have Ryobi and Craftsman models too. Get a machine that has the power you need and invest in good carbide cutters. I've got a bunch of Bosch and Freud cutters that are great but I also have a carbide Ryobi set that is not too bad. Keep up the great finish and furniture work dude! Keep posting pics too!

I used pocket screws. the plans called for mortises, however I didn't have the equipment to do it properly so I improvised with the pocket screws. this chair was supposed to recline also but I opted to screw it together with some angled back stops which has help up thus far, I may just bite the bullet and redo it so it reclines and is a little sturdier.

I had my mom find some place that did custom pads, I cant remember how much but as a gift she paid so I wasn't complaining haha and the problem with building a brother chair is money and space... that one cost about $750-$800 I believe. not including my own time that was just materials. so that money is better spent on other priorities.

thank you, I think my main question right now is what is the best table? I see festool makes a great setup but at a cost. I also saw some videos of home made tables that set the router at different angles, are there any on the market right now like that?

tons of tables out there! Festool does make a great table but I think for less money you can come up with a comparable setup..

my table is a hybrid of a Festool mft800 (old model smaller of the two sizes) as the base so it integrates with my other mft tables... all woodpeckers upper equipment... phenolic top, router lift (actually a kreg lift but its made by woodpecker), fence, coping sled etc.

I absolutely love my setup..

If yours is going to stay in a shop then you could definitely build your own base but I would recommend investing in a nice top, fence and router lift.. that's where all the accuracy is..

I contacted Woodpecker and asked if they had any blemished tops that they would sell since i had to cut it to fit in my mft table anyway (I replaced the mft top with the router table top).. they did and it was at a really good discount too (don't remember er exactly but if you want I could try to figure it out) when I got the top it looked to be in perfect condition. I would recommend anyone try to buy a blemished top from them.. it's not going to be in bad shape, just specify that you want one that was within tolerance of flat but could have a few scuffs or scratches on it..

I bought my lift second hand off a guy on the FOG forum.. it was also in excellent shape and something like half of what they sell for new.. fence I bought new

I actually have the same 3 routers as ChrisK.. the Bosch 1617 stays mounted in my router lift.. that's been a great motor. for most other work the festool of1010 is my go to router.. I love that thing.. only 1/4" or 8mm bits though

I found this for multi position router tables.. not sure if it what your looking for. http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/horizontal_router_table.html

you don't need a horizontal table for raised panels though as there are different types of bits you can buy (wide or tall) I've never run into a situation where I needed a horizontal router but then again i don't build furniture..

Hope this helps some. Feel free to keep rattling off questions if you have them.

• Like 1

the wasn't what I was thinking of but it certainly gets the job done! I think my biggest mistake thus far has been not investing money into the right equipment to get a better quality outcome. that table is the only way id get into raised panels. your post was extremely helpful and I will be looking into a good base and router for future projects. ive been looking at the Milwaukee routers but don't know near enough to make a choice yet. ill be doing some research and with any luck ill have some pictures to post in the near future

I was looking at the JessEm router table system, going all out with the mast-R-lift Excel II and all the extras, would cost something in the neighbourhood of $1850... so it would give me a digital readout, stand, fence, insert rings, roller guides, and a mitre slide. anyone know much about them? I think with the price its top of the line stuff, and lets be honest if you don't go all out on something will you ever be happy? haha I looked at the Kreg system and some other tables but this one looks to be the best quality, its also Canadian made which is nice to support for me.

No doubt that will be a sweet setup! JessEm makes great stuff from what I've heard

I'm not sure what your budget is and if any of that money could be better distributed into several other tools But you can definitely build a very capable table for much less.. the good thing about router tables is you can always upgrade in pieces as long as you start with a nice table and lift

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

rocking chairs are some serious work! I don't know if I would attempt one yet or not... id need way more clamps that's for sure

You can never have too many clamps.  Never. lol.  I keep looking at the Bessey 98 inch parallel clamp at the store when i go knowing I don't have a use for it yet... but I still kind of want it! ;D

• Like 1

I know clamps are always needed and I have a hand full but I dont use them much because they are always in the garage when I'm on a job site lol

I also don't do enough woodworking projects. I'm going to be making a wine rack in the near future as a Christmas gift.

Sent from my B15 using Tapatalk