No clue what I'm doing

snarf

Hi, all!  So back in May I decided to try to learn something new.  Figured Home Depot was about the most intimidating place I could think of going, so I went there and bought the Ryobi Ultimate Tool kit.  Found Tools in Action when I came home and googled "Ryobi power tools" to try to figure out how to use them.  Been lurking ever since.

Since then I picked up the book How to Build Anything with 3 Tools 3 Boards and 3 Steps because it looked really basic...like what the clutch on the drill was and what the 1/2 slider on the top is for and to look at your boards at Home Depot to be sure they're straight before you buy them and take the battery out of the saw before you change the blade.  Really basic stuff.

Anyways, built my first something a couple of weekends later...a big, rolling pegboard thing with a door on it for the garage so I could hang my tools on the outside and put my wood scraps and stuff inside.  I'm pretty proud of it so I attached a pic, but I know it's pretty amateur compared to what you guys do.  Took me practically all day to build it, but I learned a LOT doing so...like the impact driver can run a screw clean through a 2x4 quicker than you can say "screw this here" and also that if you make all your cuts first and they aren't square you pretty much have to start over.

I'm sure, being new as I am to tools and building and stuff like that, I won't have much at all to contribute, but I'm sure enjoying learning what I can from y'all.

• Like 3

welcome snarf, well you have come to the right place..... just remember TIME right now is your best tool take your time check everything twice until you get to know your tools measure twice cut once ect ect 

good job on the tool rack.......

More power to you for throwing yourself out there like that. I was lucky to have been mentored from a very young age by my dad and his dad. You will find that this group is very eager to share their knowledge and believe me they have a lot of it. You won't find criticism or jerks either. It's a well moderated forum of like minded folks. Don't worry I'm sure you have more to contribute than you think. Spread the word and tell your friends. Also check out the TIA gear website for some cool swag to show off. Welcome and best of luck!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

More power to you for throwing yourself out there like that. I was lucky to have been mentored from a very young age by my dad and his dad. You will find that this group is very eager to share their knowledge and believe me they have a lot of it. You won't find criticism or jerks either. It's a well moderated forum of like minded folks. Don't worry I'm sure you have more to contribute than you think. Spread the word and tell your friends. Also check out the TIA gear website for some cool swag to show off. Welcome and best of luck!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I second that, only constructive advice here it's great. Never a foul attitude I love it. Cheers to the mods!

Hi, all!  So back in May I decided to try to learn something new.  Figured Home Depot was about the most intimidating place I could think of going, so I went there and bought the Ryobi Ultimate Tool kit.  Found Tools in Action when I came home and googled "Ryobi power tools" to try to figure out how to use them.  Been lurking ever since.

Since then I picked up the book How to Build Anything with 3 Tools 3 Boards and 3 Steps because it looked really basic...like what the clutch on the drill was and what the 1/2 slider on the top is for and to look at your boards at Home Depot to be sure they're straight before you buy them and take the battery out of the saw before you change the blade.  Really basic stuff.

Anyways, built my first something a couple of weekends later...a big, rolling pegboard thing with a door on it for the garage so I could hang my tools on the outside and put my wood scraps and stuff inside.  I'm pretty proud of it so I attached a pic, but I know it's pretty amateur compared to what you guys do.  Took me practically all day to build it, but I learned a LOT doing so...like the impact driver can run a screw clean through a 2x4 quicker than you can say "screw this here" and also that if you make all your cuts first and they aren't square you pretty much have to start over.

I'm sure, being new as I am to tools and building and stuff like that, I won't have much at all to contribute, but I'm sure enjoying learning what I can from y'all.

Welcome to the forum. like torontotoolman said we all start some where. There is a great group of guys here all at different levels so don't be afraid to ask questions here. We will give you a straight answer with no BS maybe some ribbing  but a honest answer. I can say for the most part we look out for each other here.

Welcome aboard @snarf and glad to have to here. As far as I can tell that looks like a,pro tool storage unit and you should be proud of it dude! We've got a lot of pros on this site and a lot of hobbyist / DiY people here with varying experience. Thanks for posting and keep putting those new tools to good use. The end result is pretty frikin' awesome!