Need Advice: M12 Impact or Screwdriver

Nalu Rash

Hey Crew, I need some advice on the M12 Fuel Impact Driver and the M12 Fuel Screw Driver.

Primary Use:

• Cabinet Assembly
  • Pre-Drilling Holes
  • Countersinking
  • Driving Screws
  • Attaching Hinges

Other thing's I'm looking for:

• Compact Size
  • Long Lasting Battery
  • Will Not Strip Out Screws

The small tool store where I live is having a sale on the M12 Fuel Impact Driver (2453-22).

The kit is selling for $169.99 and they throw in a FREE M12 Hackzall (2420-20) this is the brushed version

My question is:

Will the M12 Fuel Impact Driver meet my needs as listed above?

My primary concern is that it might have too much torque, I don't want to be stripping small screws.

I think the M12 Fuel Screw Driver would be perfect, but if the M12 Fuel Impact Driver can do the same thing than I'd rather get the Impact.

Thank you crew for helping me out all these month's, you guys are the best. Too bad we weren't all neighbors, lol.

• Like 2

your most likely not gonna go wrong with either, but the impact will serve more purpose so I would go for it......and that hackzaw is a great tool as well.....

• Like 1

Keep in mind too NaluRash that the Fuel impact has two power / speed settings. I think it might be a good bet to go with the impact. Screwing in cabinet fasteners on low with the Fuel impact is a breeze.

• Like 1

I'd like to add, having a drill driver is an essential too though. I'm not sure what you have for tools but I'm just basing my opinion on the multi functionality of the impact of you had to chose between the two. I use my drill more than I use my impact but I've got multiple tools.

• Like 1

I have both. I bought the screwdriver for exactly what you are talking about. I was putting new cabinets in my house and wanted to upgrade my old 12v DeWalt screwdriver. At least that was the reason I gave myself to feed my tool addiction.

If I was walking to my tool box to get one of the tools to do the work you are talking about, I would pickup the screwdriver. It is awesome for that kind of work. You can switch between drill mode and screw clutch mode without changing the torque setting. It's easier to change bits on the screwdriver than the impact.

However the impact will work for what you are talking about. Thanks to the 2 power settings it's pretty easy to control even with delicate screws. I'm glad to have both, but I do feel the screwdriver is the better tool for the list you provided.

Do you already have an 18v impact? I replaced my DeWalt DCF 886 with the 2453 Fuel impact. I have yet to see a place where I would need more torque while using a 1/4" hex bit. The M12 impact will snap bits off. I went with a 3/8" drive M18 impact.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice guys, keep them coming!

Just a side note. I will hopefully become an Electrician Apprentice in the upcoming months. I think the M12 Fuel Impact as well as the M12 Hackzall would be useful as an Electrician.

I've already got the M18 Fuel Hammer Drill/Driver and the M18 Fuel Impact Driver, I'd just like to have some smaller tools for light duty stuff.

Thanks for the advice guys, keep them coming!

Just a side note. I will hopefully become an Electrician Apprentice in the upcoming months. I think the M12 Fuel Impact as well as the M12 Hackzall would be useful as an Electrician.

I've already got the M18 Fuel Hammer Drill/Driver and the M18 Fuel Impact Driver, I'd just like to have some smaller tools for light duty stuff.

Don't be surprised if your M18 impact collects some dust when you get the M12. I have the fuel hackzall. It's a handy tool and would be really handy cutting conduit. I don't think you will be disappointed with deciding on the impact deal, but I do think the screwdriver is tailored to the work you listed. The screwdriver is really just a 2403 with a hex adapter instead of the chuck.

Do you already have an 18v impact? I replaced my DeWalt DCF 886 with the 2453 Fuel impact. I have yet to see a place where I would need more torque while using a 1/4" hex bit. The M12 impact will snap bits off. I went with a 3/8" drive M18 impact.

It's funny that you mentioned replacing the DeWalt DCF 886 with the 2453. I've pretty much done the same thing. I still have my DeWalt DCF 886 Impact Driver and the DeWalt DCD 795 Hammer Drill/Driver, I haven't used them since I picked up the 2406 and the 2453. I'm gonna trade in the DeWalts and get $100 bucks instant savings on the Milwaukee M18 2731-22 7-1/4" Circular Saw Kit ($349.99 - $100 = $249.99 price after trade in)

It's funny that you mentioned replacing the DeWalt DCF 886 with the 2453. I've pretty much done the same thing. I still have my DeWalt DCF 886 Impact Driver and the DeWalt DCD 795 Hammer Drill/Driver, I haven't used them since I picked up the 2406 and the 2453. I'm gonna trade in the DeWalts and get $100 bucks instant savings on the Milwaukee M18 2731-22 7-1/4" Circular Saw Kit ($349.99 - $100 = $249.99 price after trade in)

I had the DCD995, DCD790, two DCF886's, DCF610, DCD710, and DCF815.

I started by only replacing the 12v stuff. I was really wanting to move over to brushless tools. I didn't plan on switching the 18/20v tools. I was very happy with the DCF886. It and the DCL050 were my favorite DeWalt tools. After getting the 2453 I did some very unscientific tool fights between the DCF886 and the 2453. I drove some green screws through 1/2" Hardee board into 60 year old floor joists. The 2453 had no trouble with them. I couldn't tell any difference in how well it did compared to the DCF886. I tried the 2402 it would drive them but wouldn't consistently get them flush without backing up and driving twice. Next I put in an adapter and went after lug nuts. I couldn't tell much difference between them there. I decided after that to just keep the 2453 and sell the DCF886's.

The 2453 is an impressive tool. I decided to skip the 2653 and get the 2654 when I switched to the red side.

Little late to the dance. I'll second Protoolnut, others have better advice than I do. Still, I've said it before, that M12 Fuel impact is incredibly well designed. I've played around with it quite a bit, and am looking forward to getting one myself. As for the screwdriver, I must admit great curiosity. Looks pretty useful, if not a tad redundant, though being able to switch over without changing the clutch is nice. Either way, with a free hackzall, how can you go wrong?

Nalu just get both man. The only thing better than one tool is two. If you get the impact that may become your new favorite tool. When I need an impact I generally grab my 12v. It's plenty powerful for my jobs but is easier to maneuver.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I gotta have both..however sometimes that's not what my wallet allows!!:/

Personally I don't like drilling with an impact..seems a bit aggressive and not as smooth..

So I would vote for your described needs the screwdriver..

However both will suit your needs exceptionally!!

And as stated above..get a dust rag for your m18 stuff once you get the m12..I have all m18 and jus got m12 screwdriver & impact and haven't touched the m18 since..the m12 is jus that powerful for 12v and the compact design is easier to handle!!

Wow, thank you all for the great responses. 

I've decided that I'm gonna go with the M12 Impact 2453-22 w/ Free M12 Hackzall 2420.

After reading all your opinions, It was the clear winner here.

I figured that I would get more use out of having 2 tools, rather than 1 screwdriver.

Personally I don't like drilling with an impact..seems a bit aggressive and not as smooth..
So I would vote for your described needs the screwdriver..

I agree with you here. I don't like drilling with an impact too much. 

Ahh i didn't realize you only got the extra tool with ONLY the impact..

Definitely go w 2 tools over one!

Excited to see the new red..we all know they never look quite as good as they do fresh outta the box!!!:D

Yup only with the impact. Here is part of the tool promo.

367f42d5e692da65cf3b7f0fc09461c4.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I bought that damn belt clip for an extra $3 or something ridiculous.

On topic, the better deal is almost always the right choice, especially with similar tools. I have the 2453 and it's a great little impact.

In this case the screwdriver would have been slightly more suited to what you are using the tool for, but the impact has more utility overall.

• Like 1

I paid a lot of money for my drill kit dang it, they better send me a T-shirt. I put that code in there so hopefully I will win it at some point. But like you, I bought a full kit, spent a lot of money, and didn't get any extra's, not even the bloody belt clip, which costs them what 1 dollar to make? lol

I have entered 4 or 5 of those codes. No cool red shirt has shown up for me yet.

• Like 1

I have both. I bought the screwdriver for exactly what you are talking about. I was putting new cabinets in my house and wanted to upgrade my old 12v DeWalt screwdriver. At least that was the reason I gave myself to feed my tool addiction.

If I was walking to my tool box to get one of the tools to do the work you are talking about, I would pickup the screwdriver. It is awesome for that kind of work. You can switch between drill mode and screw clutch mode without changing the torque setting. It's easier to change bits on the screwdriver than the impact.

However the impact will work for what you are talking about. Thanks to the 2 power settings it's pretty easy to control even with delicate screws. I'm glad to have both, but I do feel the screwdriver is the better tool for the list you provided.

Dang,  Now I'm looking for a screwdriver.