Milwaukee and One Key: What Do You Think?

ChrisK

I just saw this post on Stuart's site

http://toolguyd.com/milwaukee-one-key-predictions/

I know there's some speculation and there has been a topic posted but what do you guys think this will be. The release is right around the corner. I posted this on Stuart's commentary and I will repeat I here,

Chrisk1970 says

July 15, 2015 at 10:38 am

agreed, wifi but…maybe a new type of Cellular phone or Tablet specifically designed for the field. A device capable of serving a contractor in the field that can allow instant transfer of information to “the office”, design, layout, photograph, monitor etc. In my humble opinion. This device could be slaved to electronic devices similar to Ryobi’ new entry into digital work but with a broad based device made specifically for work site conditions. With Ryobi already offering a basic set of electronics this could have set the frame work for Milwaukee to really dominate an area that is being doctored to work via apps that sometimes hit the mark and sometimes don’t.

So what do you guys think? There are clues out there and this is all I can think of.

I was thinking along that line too, especially with the wifi icon. If that's the case you have to wonder if the new tools coming out are going to come with wifi built in to them. I noticed the Fuel II Hammer is to be released in line a month so that could be the case.

I ran across the following patented information for Milwaukee. Given the Wifi icon within the one key logo, maybe it is related.

Universal protocol for power tools

Patent number: 9055033

Abstract: A system and method for communicating with power tools using a universal protocol. The universal protocol may be implemented using a universal core module that is installed across a variety of power tools and other devices to enable communications therewith. Communications to and from the power tools are translated to a universal protocol once received. The translated communications are handled by the universal core module of a particular tool according to a set of rules. In response, the universal core module outputs communications according to the universal protocol and the set of rules, which may be translated to another protocol for receipt by components of the tool or an external device. The communications may be used, for example, to obtain tool performance data from the tools and to provide firmware updates.

Type: Grant

Filed: July 17, 2013

Issued: June 9, 2015

Assignee: Milwaukee Electric Tool Corporation

Inventor: Matthew J. Mergener

• Like 1

Whoa.  Like updating the firmware on a Blu-ray player.  Weird.

That's the only thing that I can wrap my head around in so far as any sort of weird wifi link connected to tools...."Whelp, according to my app connected via wifi though the router in my Milwaukee toolbox, it looks like the battery in Bob's M18 drill is about to die..."

Wireless charging maybe...but I thought they already tried that with cellphones?

The 7 clues that Milwaukee allowed toolguyd to share...

Clue 1: How will Milwaukee unlock the future of jobsite technology?

Clue 2: How will Milwaukee unlock the digital jobsite?

Clue 3: It’s called Milwaukee One Key

Clue 4: What’s the one key to bringing jobsite technology into the future?

Clue 5: What’s the one key to the evolution of jobsite technology?

Clue 6: How will Milwaukee unlock the future of the jobsite?

Clue 7: What’s the one key to enhancing productivity on the jobsite?

The redudant use of "jobsite" leads me to believe that, like the 9aH battery they're to release, this whole set-up is gonna be super-hardcore-pro-contractor-grade, DIY'er need not apply.

Thanks Illini and further if you got down this sheet it specifically states what tools! Read down to claim 7;

1. A method of implementing a universal protocol on a plurality of power tools, the plurality of power tools including a variety of power tool types, the method comprising: generating an interfacing module including universal core module for implementing the universal protocol, the universal core module being generic to the plurality of power tools and including a set of rules enabling interpretation and handling of communications that are in accordance with the universal protocol, and an interface module particular to each of the power tool types, the interface module configured to translate communications on route to the universal core module to the universal protocol and to translate communications output by the universal core module from the universal protocol to another protocol; receiving, by a memory of each of the plurality of power tools, the interfacing module; generating application software and parameters particular to each power tool; and using the interfacing module of each power tool to install on each power tool the application software and parameters particular to that power tool.

2. The method of claim 1, wherein the interface module includes: physical interface software enabling translation of communications between the universal core module and external devices; and tool component interface software enabling translation of communications between the universal core module and internal components of the plurality of power tools.

3. The method of claim 2, wherein generating the physical interface software comprises determining physical interface components and associated protocols for each of the power tool types.

4. The method of claim 1, further comprising: providing, at a physical interface of a power tool of the plurality of power tools, commands according to the another protocol; translating, by the interface module of the power tool, the commands from the another protocol to the universal protocol to form translated commands; providing the translated commands to the universal core module; and executing, by the universal core module, the translated commands.

5. The method of claim 1, further comprising: generating an update for at least one of the application software and parameters for at least one power tool of the plurality of power tools; and installing the update on the at least one power tool of the plurality of power tools using the interfacing module.

6. The method of claim 1, further comprising capturing and storing performance data in the memory of each power tool of the plurality of power tools, wherein the performance data includes motor usage data; and reading the performance data from the memory of each power tool using an external device communicating with the interfacing module via a physical interface of each power tool.

7. The method of claim 1, wherein the variety of power tool types includes at least two of: a drill, a circular saw, a jig saw, a band saw, a reciprocating saw, a screw driver, a grinder, an impact wrench, a rotary hammer, and an impact driver.

http://patents.com/us-9055033.html

• Like 2

I meant router as in wifi router Protoolnut.. I may be a little crazy but im not that crazy! haha although thinking about it now, a router would be sweet to have in a battery platform for those small jobs just a little trim router ya know?

Thanks Illini and further if you got down this sheet it specifically states what tools! Read down to claim 7;

1. A method of implementing a universal protocol on a plurality of power tools, the plurality of power tools including a variety of power tool types, the method comprising: generating an interfacing module including universal core module for implementing the universal protocol, the universal core module being generic to the plurality of power tools and including a set of rules enabling interpretation and handling of communications that are in accordance with the universal protocol, and an interface module particular to each of the power tool types, the interface module configured to translate communications on route to the universal core module to the universal protocol and to translate communications output by the universal core module from the universal protocol to another protocol; receiving, by a memory of each of the plurality of power tools, the interfacing module; generating application software and parameters particular to each power tool; and using the interfacing module of each power tool to install on each power tool the application software and parameters particular to that power tool.

2. The method of claim 1, wherein the interface module includes: physical interface software enabling translation of communications between the universal core module and external devices; and tool component interface software enabling translation of communications between the universal core module and internal components of the plurality of power tools.

3. The method of claim 2, wherein generating the physical interface software comprises determining physical interface components and associated protocols for each of the power tool types.

4. The method of claim 1, further comprising: providing, at a physical interface of a power tool of the plurality of power tools, commands according to the another protocol; translating, by the interface module of the power tool, the commands from the another protocol to the universal protocol to form translated commands; providing the translated commands to the universal core module; and executing, by the universal core module, the translated commands.

5. The method of claim 1, further comprising: generating an update for at least one of the application software and parameters for at least one power tool of the plurality of power tools; and installing the update on the at least one power tool of the plurality of power tools using the interfacing module.

6. The method of claim 1, further comprising capturing and storing performance data in the memory of each power tool of the plurality of power tools, wherein the performance data includes motor usage data; and reading the performance data from the memory of each power tool using an external device communicating with the interfacing module via a physical interface of each power tool.

7. The method of claim 1, wherein the variety of power tool types includes at least two of: a drill, a circular saw, a jig saw, a band saw, a reciprocating saw, a screw driver, a grinder, an impact wrench, a rotary hammer, and an impact driver.

. Great internet sleuthing, ChrisK!
  • Like 1

The problem with using large power tools like CNC, miter off batteries is, they are large tools that are usually located somewhere near an outlet, they are really not that portable. So whats the point of running them off a battery if your near an outlet, just plug them in. And with the time it takes that CNC to carve out something out of wood, that thing would run out of battery before its done. You can't run everything off a battery man lol

Umm....

I meant router as in wifi router Protoolnut.. I may be a little crazy but im not that crazy! haha although thinking about it now, a router would be sweet to have in a battery platform for those small jobs just a little trim router ya know?

Ok.  Yeah.  For a second I thought this was really going off the rails LOL

Gosh.  I'm still reading this as updating firmware...like the brushless motors being "updatable"....

I love tech, I really do...but sometimes, I'm just like "if it ain't broke..."

It'll be really interesting to see how this works and what the exact methodology is but I am thinking smart power consumption? Batteries last longer, controls how much juice the tool receives so it does not damage itself etc. of course that can also cause problems when you need to power the tool through a particular job. Having the wherewithal to manually control a tool can be a good thing for a guy or gal who knows how to use it.

I'm curious to see but I think it will be some kind of torque control. Some factory tools have a similar setup its not wireless cordless, but they read a bar code and it sets the proper torque for that fastener.

I'm curious to see but I think it will be some kind of torque control. Some factory tools have a similar setup its not wireless cordless, but they read a bar code and it sets the proper torque for that fastener.

I could certainly see this for the impact and drills mentioned in section 7 of the patent info, but how would it apply to the circ saw, jig saw, etc. that were mentioned? Maybe optimizing speed and torque for the type of material being cut? I also wonder if this could be used to disable tools at the end of the day in case they are stolen. The thief would have nothing more than a paperweight, provided ithe one key tool has some sort of code that needs to be inputted in order to work. Perhaps that is where the "key" part comes in?