I need a new tool system

n8n82250

I've been thinking about getting a new tool system I don't know what brand yet thought I need to collect money over time to pay for the brand. I already have black and Decker stuff which was my first brand of tools. Any ideas what brand I should get.

23b4506218b51898d008a6a2755ac997.jpg

sent from my fingertips

Like the others have already mentioned, I think it really is need dependent.

But if I were to give a suggestion, my vote would be for:

Festool.

Kidding.

Ryobi. Seriously, I think Ryobi makes some great tools at a crazy price. Not to mention that they have a huge line up of tools on the their battery platform. I know others on here might be rolling their eyes right about now, but they are often the pro's or tradesmen that use their tools all day at work. If your not a pro/tradie then Ryobi is a great platform to get into.

• Like 2

Nalu makes a great point. Johnny Homeowner needs a backwards compatible platform that isn't going to change before his tools die, at a price that won't break the bank. Realistically, that's Ryobi. That said, a trip to the big box tool store of your choice will show you there's always some type of impact/drill/2 battery combo kit at a fire sale price just waiting to be your color-coded gateway drug of choice.

• Like 1

Like the others have already mentioned, I think it really is need dependent.

But if I were to give a suggestion, my vote would be for:

Festool.

Kidding.

Ryobi. Seriously, I think Ryobi makes some great tools at a crazy price. Not to mention that they have a huge line up of tools on the their battery platform. I know others on here might be rolling their eyes right about now, but they are often the pro's or tradesmen that use their tools all day at work. If your not a pro/tradie then Ryobi is a great platform to get into.

Yea I was thinking about getting a ryobi line up. I normally do small electronic DIY to fixing outlets, simple car parts and anything that I really fee like doing.

sent from my fingertips

What are you planning to built? You have a pretty good start with the 1.5 or 2.0ah and 4.0ah Black and Decker battery. You pretty young so you have time to grow into bigger and better tools. This place is great but we do have a problem with having the latest and greatest tools when other tools work just fine.

• Like 1

What are you planning to built? You have a pretty good start with the 1.5 or 2.0ah and 4.0ah Black and Decker battery. You pretty young so you have time to grow into bigger and better tools. This place is great but we do have a problem with having the latest and greatest tools when other tools work just fine.

i agree with this comment completely, if all that you need tools for is "anything that i really feel like doing", then the B&D kit that you already have may be enough. of course if you have the means and want to invest in another platform go for it, but it doesn't sound like you necessarily need to upgrade. i think i'm very similar to you in my tool needs. i just wanted something better and that ended up being the milwaukee m12 and m18 lines. i had a little extra pocket change so it wasnt that big a deal to go for a better product. sound to me like you're budget might ultimately decide what you should buy, and if you are trying to be sensible, like everyone else i believe ryobi would be a great line to really look at. endless tools at crazy affordable prices. i saw a 4-pack of ryobi batteries at HD today for $79, can't get much cheaper than that. unless you go used, of course, which is actually another great option.

If you want to start planning on future tool expansion then do the research and pick a new battery platform (I also agree that ryobi is probably a great buy for you).

my advise would be don't get a new ryobi drill now. Use your money to get some cordless tools that you could use and don't already have... your B&D drill will do just fine for you now and when the drill or batteries eventually die that is when you should replace it with the new brand.

• Like 1

Agreed Nate. You've already got that B&D line going and why not add. That Matrix drill has all sorts of kits you can buy for it including a jig saw! The you can save for something stationary like a small band saw or drill press. Plus. You never know where your future might lead, if you save those pennies when you get a bit older you can trade em in for the big guns! Makita, Milwaukee, Dewalt.....