What did you do today? A thread dedicated to the general use of tools in your projects.

99_XC600

Sunday had to do a cooling system overhaul on my 94' K2500. Noticed she was overheating and saw that the water pump was leaking thru the weep hole constantly. Normally I would've grabbed my toolbox and use wrenches and pneumatics to get it done but couldn't get in the garage. So went right for my new milwaukee m18 tools. Holy hell did they save me a TON of time. Went from a 6hr job to a 3-4hr job which made me grin ear to ear. Picked up a 2763-20 M18 Fuel 1/2" impact w friction ring last night because I felt so confident in these tools. Never thought I'd be switching my pneumatics to cordless.... cant even imagine battery powered tools 10yrs from now >:D

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MikeyB said:

Built a couple more fire wood racks last week in anticipation of a nice oak tree coming down tommorw.

And finally picked up some kaizen foam for my Milwaukke organizer to keep my Makita & Milwaukee batteries in one secure place.

I love Kaizen !

• Like 2

Well I had an eventful Friday! First service call was a bank that lost 1/3 of its light that morning.

They were pushing 15 amps of lighting for so long the GE breaker just couldn't take the heat any longer. 74138763e7fd6ce5cd94ae8a68e31758.jpg
I'll be going back to separate the load, and possibly upgrade the panel to a CH with integrated surge protection, as soon as they can give me a day to shut down that sub panel.

Next call was for another tripped breaker. This time an old ITE panel with a refrigerator, toaster, and a bunch of old T12 fluorescent under cab's on one circuit. 4d188d0389458bba4a6c4af474768d04.jpg This ones going to get a changeout, and some new dedicated circuits in the kitchen, plus led under cab's.

Last call was the one that took the most of my day. Loose connection on a wall switch in a rent house. How loose?
7b2e317babc827fe90c2d7a7efecbd68.jpg didn't pull out the FLIR this time, although it would have been amusing! Once I flipped the switch and heard the crackling I new were the issue was! After rewiring this lighting circuit, and replacing the device, I was asked by the landlord to look at the other rent house next door. Tons of old cloth wire, and piss poor j-boxes in the attic. Someone already did take the time to rewire the kitchen, and restroom with new copper Romex from the panel. But the lighting for the house remained handyman touched. ce8417648966adb7779c9adc8c4b89a9.jpgSpent some time getting acquainted with the attic space and finding all the boxes, and cloth wiring that we're going to go and eliminate on Wednesday. That damn FLIR C2 has already payed for it self these last two weeks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On January 27, 2017 at 3:10 PM, MikeyB said:

Built a couple more fire wood racks last week in anticipation of a nice oak tree coming down tommorw.

And finally picked up some kaizen foam for my Milwaukke organizer to keep my Makita & Milwaukee batteries in one secure place.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Built another firewood rack, had a good size oak tree cut down a few weeks ago and I'm getting around to splitting & stacking  This rack is 16' long. 

Im going to have to do another one at least 20' long on the same fence line as this one. I got a good amount of oak to split. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Spent yesterday turning a small project into a big one...why does that happen?

Wanted to do something simple, take down a shelf and build a new one. That wound up requiring a lot more than I originally planned. Had to remove a cord holder, take down the shelf, build the new one, etc.. So...you do the normal things like take the stuff off the shelf, take the cord holder off, then rummage around looking for suitable materials to make the new shelf. Look at your wood resources, then remember you have spare shelving behind the toolboxes. Cue the circus music. Now you have to move shit out of the way to get to that stuff, which reminds you that you've been planning to redo your bench grinder mount. Now you're building a shelf and moving a grinder.

As you're building the shelf and planning a new mount for the grinder you realize that if you build a decent shelf/table for the grinder you can move your drill press. So now it's three things...build a new shelf, redo the bench grinder mount, move the drill press. Now the circus music gets louder, because when you move the drill press you want to replace the piece of benchtop to get rid of the holes that's in it. You're doing four different things...no wait, make that five because you're also moving that folding picnic table and card table to new locations..no wait again, now you're doing six things because you're also rearranging the shoe storage...uh...no...seven things, because you're also moving those stupid insect and weed chemical jugs to new locations. SHIT!!! Eight things!! Because now you're building a little holder for your glue gun...

Holy hell in a rickety shopping cart, this stuff is reeeeedickyoulous. Luckily I learned a long, long time ago to channel ADD into the perfect way to multi-task, because along with the simple project that turned into 30 different things you have to add into it playing with the dog, eating, bathroom breaks, etc.. It's a great way to do a shitload of stuff and get it all done without skipping a beat. A mind is a terrible thing to waste...right?

So long story short the poor garage went through yet another transformation. And, you'd probably not be surprised, but you'd be surprised at how many tools you can use to do the simplest of things. Things went from this...

32607346200_b0ddcddea5_b.jpgIMG_0882 by Edward Durbin, on Flickr

to eventually becoming this...

32834175672_64dc27e562_b.jpgIMG_1700 by Edward Durbin, on Flickr

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Kato said:

My favorite was the one where they were cleaning out the closet and found out it was a bathroom.

Funny that I actually have a 1/2 bath in my closet.... It's in the early stages of being redone, at least that's what I've been telling my wife for a year.

Good going on the multitasking [mention=28618]Kato[/mention] haha that grinder and drill press looks pretty nice together.
Your predicament reminds me...

What makes this scene (which I had totally forgotten about!) so much better to see again, is that Bryan Cranston goes through a similar mad home improvement streak in Breaking Bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yesterday and today just been making drawer organizers. Made one for the wife for the living room table, which then sparked me to finish organizing a drawer in my tool box. You ever have one of those drawers that, no matter what you did, you hated it and everything in it? Yup, that's my screwdriver drawer. Long story short, made an organizer with sliding trays for the living room table...

32980620952_8e658f0eca_b.jpg

IMG_1724 by Edward Durbin, on Flickr

While making that I got the urge to organize a bit in the tool box so I redid some drawers. I was keeping crescent wrenches in the screwdriver drawer, but at the urge to redo the screwdriver drawer I moved the wrenches to the pliers drawer. Having a million screwdrivers doesn't help, but swapping out a bunch and moving the wrenches allowed me to chop a case of screwdrivers and drop it into the drawer, which helps organize it a lot...

33010268761_4aa64e8994_b.jpg

Screwdriver Drawer 001 by Edward Durbin, on Flickr

And, wanting to move the crescent wrenches I decided to make an organizer and slider tray for the pliers drawer. Keeps the tools I grab the most easy to get, and organizes everything else...

33010270371_68617515b5_b.jpg

Pliers Drawer 001 by Edward Durbin, on Flickr

32291878024_8e08836d95_b.jpg

Pliers Drawer 002 by Edward Durbin, on Flickr

And...this also sparked wanting to do one of the last kitchen cabinets that hasn't been organized yet. Sadly, that cabinet is a lost cause, too many weird things, too much random stuff to be able to organize so I just left it alone. No need to wake a sleeping giant. At least I got rid of a bunch of crap we didn't need in that cabinet, so I guess it wasn't a total loss.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Kato said:

Yesterday and today just been making drawer organizers. Made one for the wife for the living room table, which then sparked me to finish organizing a drawer in my tool box. You ever have one of those drawers that, no matter what you did, you hated it and everything in it? Yup, that's my screwdriver drawer. Long story short, made an organizer with sliding trays for the living room table...

32980620952_8e658f0eca_b.jpg

IMG_1724 by Edward Durbin, on Flickr

While making that I got the urge to organize a bit in the tool box so I redid some drawers. I was keeping crescent wrenches in the screwdriver drawer, but at the urge to redo the screwdriver drawer I moved the wrenches to the pliers drawer. Having a million screwdrivers doesn't help, but swapping out a bunch and moving the wrenches allowed me to chop a case of screwdrivers and drop it into the drawer, which helps organize it a lot...

33010268761_4aa64e8994_b.jpg

Screwdriver Drawer 001 by Edward Durbin, on Flickr

And, wanting to move the crescent wrenches I decided to make an organizer and slider tray for the pliers drawer. Keeps the tools I grab the most easy to get, and organizes everything else...

33010270371_68617515b5_b.jpg

Pliers Drawer 001 by Edward Durbin, on Flickr

32291878024_8e08836d95_b.jpg

Pliers Drawer 002 by Edward Durbin, on Flickr

And...this also sparked wanting to do one of the last kitchen cabinets that hasn't been organized yet. Sadly, that cabinet is a lost cause, too many weird things, too much random stuff to be able to organize so I just left it alone. No need to wake a sleeping giant. At least I got rid of a bunch of crap we didn't need in that cabinet, so I guess it wasn't a total loss.

That's a good solution! What material are the trays?