What did you do today? A thread dedicated to the general use of tools in your projects.

99_XC600

Started making a stainless steel ink pen today on my taig lathe this afternoon.  Tough stuff to drill and turn down.

I'd like to see how it turns out, stainless is tough to work with, it was a pain in the ass when we rebuilt our water truck at the FD, put a new tank in and HD to dismantle and refit the stainless shell, had 30 some odd holes to drill through, want to say 1/4"? Been a while but it was a bitch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

quick tip while working with any kind of stainless steel, if you have to grind anything use the same grinding wheel, never use it on mild or cold rolled steel then back to stainless. it will contaminate the stainless where ever you ground it....and it will rust in that area faster than a cat can pass a motor scooter....

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Bigmikez said:

Wow surprised the toilet didn't fall thru lol that was pretty gross?

Yeah, only other time i've seen it almost this bad was when a customer had both his toilets overflow from a major blockage and it rotted the floor a little bit...

This video looks so much worse on my computer! It's larger than in real life because of the screen size ewww

• Like 2

19 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

I'd like to see how it turns out, stainless is tough to work with, it was a pain in the ass when we rebuilt our water truck at the FD, put a new tank in and HD to dismantle and refit the stainless shell, had 30 some odd holes to drill through, want to say 1/4"? Been a while but it was a bitch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted a picture of my stainless pen below.  Your exactly right, stainless is tough.  Smoked my carbide parting tool right off the bat.  You have to take is slow when turning and cutting the tapers required a lot of patience.  Getting the tool marks out took a good sharp bastard file and a lot of jewelers rouge and a lot of buffing.  About an 7 or 8 hour job for a writing stick.

• Like 1

Yeah, only other time i've seen it almost this bad was when a customer had both his toilets overflow from a major blockage and it rotted the floor a little bit...

This video looks so much worse on my computer! It's larger than in real life because of the screen size ewww

I was eating lunch when I stumbled across that video on IG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Let me guess, no junction box.  Seen similar stuff too many times myself.  I rewired a convalescent home several years ago and was amazed it hadn't caught fire because of the crap electrical work. Wire twisted together hanging on nails in the attic.

Yeah we find a lot of crap work like that too. Has to be fixed or we can't continue.
The grey box is actually the fans junction box, however the person who installed the fan realized that it would not hold the fan and went through all that effort of running wire through the box and wrapping around the 2x4, instead of replacing the box with either a safety hanger box, or blocking the ceiling and putting in a fan rated box. Most likely the previous homeowners doing. Also the conductors are exposed as they're entering the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, NicolasRamos said:

Found this while running new circuits for an office. That is the support for the bedroom ceiling fan. It always seems like more effort to do it wrong.

Really, if you think about it...it's your fault. If you hadn't been so nosy there wouldn't be any problem at all. I mean, if you can't see a problem, it doesn't exist...right??

• Like 2

On 11/1/2016 at 1:06 PM, olletsocmit said:

hey man i just started another tread about looking for coffeee table style build for my brother as a present.  This would def be a good plan to start w/ and mabye extend a little longer.  PLEASE PM me when you see this.  I would really like more pics, the prints you followed, etc.  thank you!!

I made ours out of a palette. Maybe another idea for you if so inclined...

11360309456_06160da5a1_b.jpgPalette Coffee Table 004 by Edward Durbin, on Flickr

• Like 1

Just a couple of shop projects. First is a mobile stand for my planer that I built to fit 3 of the Milwaukee 10 bin organizers plus another shelf on the bottom. Second is a nail gun cubby for all my nail guns and staplers. Now I can have the nail guns off the floor and I can get rid of the cases.

IMG_4014.JPG

IMG_4015.JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DaveJr. said:

Just a couple of shop projects. First is a mobile stand for my planer that I built to fit 3 of the Milwaukee 10 bin organizers plus another shelf on the bottom. Second is a nail gun cubby for all my nail guns and staplers. Now I can have the nail guns off the floor and I can get rid of the cases.

IMG_4014.JPG

IMG_4015.JPG

Good job on both projects.  Love the mobile tool cabinets. 

Made a couple more pens today. One for my bosses boss who gave me some cedar he cut from his property.  The other is bocata wood my wife picked out yesterday from the local woodcraft store. This was the first cedar I've done, don't care a lot for the color but I told the guy I would make him one for giving me several pieces of wood.

Bocata gun metal.jpeg

Ceder gunmetal.jpeg

• Like 1

Finally had some time to put this up today ? I gotta say I like it but the clamps we're kinda of a pain in the ass to get tightened other than that really cool for my tough boxes I'm also thinking about maybe selling one or two of my boxes to get the tough boxes with the drawers for easier access 

image.jpg

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, Bigmikez said:

Finally had some time to put this up today ? I gotta say I like it but the clamps we're kinda of a pain in the ass to get tightened other than that really cool for my tough boxes I'm also thinking about maybe selling one or two of my boxes to get the tough boxes with the drawers for easier access 

image.jpg

Looks great! If your selling any of the smaller boxes let me know, I may be interested!

• Like 3