20v sawzall pronounced dead

PaulE

After a few years of abuse (3yr) my 20v sawzall died on me yesterday. the day before it was abused to the point it was red hot. today the battery seemed loose and would only work while holding the battery. Next i got a electrical smell and it stopped working. havent had time to take it apart and see if i can find the issue.

I am happy with all my dewalt tools, just wish they had a brushless saw to replace this one. I am commited to yellow and black due to the number of tools and batteries i own.

Question is- should i buy another premium 20v reciprocating saw or the stubby recip (never used one)

any chance of a new sawzall coming out any time soon? if so i will buy a cheap used or refurb one to hold me over until it is availible.

I am a commercial GC and electrician. I use and abuse my 20v sawzall daily.

We just had our 18v reciprocating die at work yesterday, and it's only a little over a year old. Sometimes tools just decide it's time to go, and we either repair them, send them out to get repaired, or buy a new one. Or, you do what a lot of people do these days, you buy a new one, wait a few weeks, then throw the old one in the box and return it. Sad, but true...

Since you do have m18 batteries then wouldnt it be possible to but the m18 fuel sawzall without batts ? :)

I don't carry the m18 in my daily truck. I really don't want to carry 2 battery platforms on me at all times. But I was looking at fuel sawZall this week.

Send it in for warranty. If its only 3 yrs old, you still have a warranty. You dont need a receipt, it goes of serial number

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sent my hammer drill that cane with the same kit almost a year ago and they wouldn't fix it for free. They wanted $140 to repair it. I bought a new brushless for 120.

Good news.

I took the saw apart tonight. It was a simple fix

The black wire that connects to the battery was burn up and no longer connected to the battery. I replaced the wire and connector and seems to work fine now.

I think it burnt up from excessive use and abuse. I did smell burning, must have just been the insulation of the wire burning.

• Like 1

Good news.

I took the saw apart tonight. It was a simple fix

The black wire that connects to the battery was burn up and no longer connected to the battery. I replaced the wire and connector and seems to work fine now.

I think it burnt up from excessive use and abuse. I did smell burning, must have just been the insulation of the wire burning.

. Dude that's cool PaulE! ITS ALIVE!! ITS ALIVE!!!

Stay away from the stubby model IMO if you decide to upgrade, it has horrid levels of vibration. Like holding the end of a concrete vibrator vibration. 

My 18v outperformed it. 

that's good to know, glad I went with the full size model. Doesn't the short model lack an adjustable shoe as well.I'll give up a few inches and a led light for an adjustable shoe and less vibration .

Send it in for warranty. If its only 3 yrs old, you still have a warranty. You dont need a receipt, it goes of serial number

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a 3 year manufacturers defect warranty. It wouldn't cover the cost of repairing a tool broken due to wear and tear. Same goes for Milwaukee's 5 year manufacturers defect warranty, it's only 1 year on wear and tear. 

Glad you got it working PaulE

It's a 3 year manufacturers defect warranty. It wouldn't cover the cost of repairing a tool broken due to wear and tear. Same goes for Milwaukee's 5 year manufacturers defect warranty, it's only 1 year on wear and tear.

Glad you got it working PaulE

I didn't realize milwaukee was also 1yr wear and tear. I thought it was 5yrs.

Thanks. Glad I got it working again. This saw has seen a lot of action. I'm glad it still has some life left in it. Hopefully it holds up until an updated version comes out.

Thanks. Glad I got it working again. This saw has seen a lot of action. I'm glad it still has some life left in it. Hopefully it holds up until an updated version comes out.

Hopefully an update comes out soon

Yea, Milwaukee's 5 year warranty doesn't cover wear and tear, same with Dewalt's 3 year warranty. Both companies have a 1 year free service on wear and tear items. I've tried to get Eric and Dan to understand this and to stop misleading people by telling them the tool has a 5 year warranty. Everyone basically has the same warranty. Manufacturer defects rarely occur to begin with.