Milwaukee M12 Rotary Hammer disappointment

khariV

So I couldn't resist the temptation to get the M12 rotary hammer that was the daily deal from the depot. I justified it by telling myself that I'd need it to remove the tile in my sunroom when I fix the rotten subfloor. According to the description on the website, "For maximum versatility, regardless of application or orientation, the tool also features 2-mode operation, rotary hammer and hammer-only."

So I opened it up last night and discovered that the promo materials lied. The problem is that the "two modes" are rotary hammer and just plain drill. There is no hammer only mode so it's pretty much useless for chipping tile. Why the heck would anyone use a rotary hammer with its expensive-ass SDS bits as a regular drill?

I suppose I'll keep it as it was a great price and I could always use it for the occasional anchor in concretely, but I'm more than a little bit annoyed at myself for not double checking the specs instead if relying on the marketing copy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's why I didn't get this! I really checked the tool over when it was released and realistically I have a hammer drill for going into concrete. A bit slower than a rotary for sure but I want a chisel for smashing up tiles and grout. Sorry dude!

Well, I've got my 2604 for drilling holes into tile, which I coincidentally need to do this weekend. Since I'm going to have to suck it up and get a rotary hammer that does chiselling, the M12 went back to the depot. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for a good deal on an M18 now.

The funny thing is that when I went in to return it, the person at the desk told me that since I got it with a discount, I wasn't going to get full price refunded. I'm pretty sure she was convinced that I was trying to pull a fast one.

So I couldn't resist the temptation to get the M12 rotary hammer that was the daily deal from the depot. I justified it by telling myself that I'd need it to remove the tile in my sunroom when I fix the rotten subfloor. According to the description on the website, "For maximum versatility, regardless of application or orientation, the tool also features 2-mode operation, rotary hammer and hammer-only."

So I opened it up last night and discovered that the promo materials lied. The problem is that the "two modes" are rotary hammer and just plain drill. There is no hammer only mode so it's pretty much useless for chipping tile. Why the heck would anyone use a rotary hammer with its expensive-ass SDS bits as a regular drill?

I suppose I'll keep it as it was a great price and I could always use it for the occasional anchor in concretely, but I'm more than a little bit annoyed at myself for not double checking the specs instead if relying on the marketing copy.

You can buy a chuck adapter that would allow the SDS chuck to also use regular bits. Basically it has an SDS shaft but the end is a 3 jaw chuck so you can use normal bits as well. I have the Ryobi 18v SDS hammer drill which is also only 2 mode and I have such an adapter. I wish it had a hammer only mode, but sadly the model that does is not availible in the U.S. for some reason.

Should just take it back looked at the box before leaving the store with it. I pretty sure when it came out Milwaukee advertised it for drilling and with the dust extractor never as a chipping hammer

I ordered it online and had it delivered, so there was no real opportunity to read the box. I was going by the marketing blurb, which still says that it does chipping. I'm not saying it's a bad tool our that I wouldn't have liked to keep it, just that since I do need to pick up an M18 rotary, there was no actual need for me to have both and so back to the depot it went.

Yeah the description was bad, can't blame the consumer for being misinformed when the retailer has it wrong in black and white. HD seems pretty open to almost any return though so it's more an inconvenience and disappointment than anything. When I returned an expensive kit which came with a free accessory not too long ago from an online order they didn't know what to do with the free accessory because it wasn't properly listed on the invoice so the return counter did what I suggested to make the problem go away...just give it to me to take home and I'd make it disappear lol.

• Like 1

I have had that happen once with an online order also. The only thing with online orders with HD when they have a extra the SKU isn't the same as the box so they have to use the one for the internet order. That's probably the biggest issue I have ever had returning things to hd..