what 18v line would u consider best?? Carpenter

jackfinzo

hi,

im on the market for the below tools. i am open to any of your suggestions on why or why not to go with certain brands! thanks in advance jack.

Circular saw- Milwaukee stands out brushless 7 1/4 blade. makita also good but smaller blade

jigsaw- dewalt or bosch seem to be best but neither brushless and thats about there only strong tool.

hammer drill- Milwaukee gen 2 seems best

impact driver- Milwaukee gen 2 also best

sds plus- Milwaukee also best but im not too fussy with this as only light work.

three 5amp/hr batteries- Milwaukee best quality battery

charger- not fussy

probably basic light- not fussy

in the furure i may consider nail gun (second fix) Another possible reason to go with Dewalt?

so im obviously im thinking Milwaukee ... a few salesmen have told me dewalt or makita? i dnt see why though? above is only what i have gathered from online the more opinions posted the better. Thanks lads.

• Like 1

dewalt are more aimed at the carpenter BUT drill/impact spend alot of time in my hand and although i havnt used either Milwaukee by far seem to have the best.  And a 71/4 saw blade is huge cost saving in long run!! father has the dewalt 20v range circular saw jigsaw 3 speed hammer drill. downside is both saws are brushed units and circular saw blade is 6 1/2 and they are costly and you havnt got as much choice. keep it coming thanks jack.

won't disagree with hilti, but I will say overall you'll get more bang for your buck with Milwaukee stileto hammers seem to be not as popular compared to ordox nails and auto nailers 

• Like 1

COP tool just revied a bunch of Hilti tools and they were not light years better than the other brands. http://www.coptool.com/hilti-18v-cordless-vs-milwaukee-dewalt-makita-bosch-metabo/

I should hope not, the hilti stuff is already 3 years old. My brushed drill has 1060 inch pounds of torque, the newest Milwaukee and makita "BRUSHLESS" stuff is only 1090.

Hilti makes great stuff that lasts.

That said, I know from experience having owned a full set of Milwaukee m18 fuel tools, that they are quite decent, but a little shy of the marketing hype.

It just seems that makita and Dewalt are more carpenter friendly!

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Makita's 36V system uses the same 18V batteries (2x18V). So if not weight is very crucial, but power and battery-life is important. Makita wins hands down on: 

- Circular 7,1/2 inch blade (it may be 7-1/4" in the states if i remember correctly)

- SDS plus 

For the other normal 18V equipment:

- FUEL 2 Hammer drill is very similar in performance with the makita XPH07. THey each got its pros and cons. 

- The best 1/4 impact is probably milwaukee, but then again, Makita's compact impact wrench (1/2") easily beats it again, and milwaukees counter parts. Not only that it got a lot more torque, but love that 1/2" square torx/PH/Pz is more compact than 1/4" adapters / bits (and I can easily use 1/2" sockets without adapters with the same tool). :)

- I'd like an explanation why milwaukee got better 5ah batteries than any other. Just wondering, since that is a very new claim to me.

- Charger is easily makita. For 18V, their charger is the quickest and as good as any other.

I got no idea on the jigsaw though. Mafell and festool seems just so awesome that it overshadowes the others. :P I think the correct name for it, would be love. ANd the reason I dont look elsewhere. XD

I have no comparison on price between milwaukee and Makita. But from where I live, the latter is more popular, and therefore got more competition and better prices. Might be team red is cheaper in the states, and got better offers. 

Also, Makita at least got the reputation for the largest 18V and 18Vx2 equipment. 

• Like 1

Loaded question beckoning a BUNCH of loaded answers. ;)

Hope your wearing boots ;)

Seriously. It's up to you. What do you want your tools to do? What do you do? Do you work in the trades? If so are you in mechanical or carpentry? Are you a woodworker?

I have a ton of different brands but Dewalt, Bosch and Makita are my favorites. They all fall behind my Festool tools.

Jason mentioned Coptools article. I just read it and it was really informative..

Also welcome to the forum.

• Like 2

One more thing. A lot of guys here are hardcore fans of their respective brands. But you need to be honest with yourself and ask what it is it that you want. Brand specific guys will go on an on about one brand or another. But what do you need? My shop is diverse. If your a metal fabricator or a commercial installer, a plumber or an electrician. Your needs are different from mine.

I just bought a 12v Hilti set that is pretty cool. I actually like it. But I'd take my Festool CXS and Bosch PS22-A2 over those cool little guns. I don't particularly like the Milwaukees, great tools, super powerful. Just a little big for me,and the Makita 12vs are obsolete....or they were until they just popped out some awesome tools. Dewalts 12v line is awesome but limited. I'm hopeful in my Hilti set and am thoroughly impressed with the tools but they don't have any other 12v offerings....yet. Just remember, what do you need. I've got a Dewalt framer, Ryobi Brad and a Makita pin nailer, all cordless. A Makita brushless grinder and a Bosch multi tool. The list goes on.

But I won't tout any one brand (except Festool....I mean......really?) because I'm a woodworker and everyone knows that in the cordless line currently Bosch and Makita own that realm. Dewalt is catching up quick and Milwaukee will some day see the merit in increasing their lineup....heck they just introduced a cordless planer for Pete sake!

• Like 1

thanks for all the info lads!!  im a carpenter/cabinet maker 1 big thing for me is  staying on thye 1 battery platform or atleast no more then 2 platforms. i cant understand how you have all those brands ? does all the different platforms not drive u mad? it also seems impractical as in cost you alot more?

• Like 1

im living in Ireland so there is no such thing as getting a feel for the tools!! i always buy all my tools from USA although it does mean high import and shipping charges its still cheaper than over here!! i do have experience with the dewalt 20v line as stated above!! and i must say i do like them but the circular saw blade is only 6.5 inches and there burshed units! thanks jack!

If your a cabinet maker I'd really look at Bosch, Makita and Dewalt. They have more cordless options for woodworking. I have the Makita 18v brushless barrel grip jigsaw, 18v sander and they are great cordless options. My Bosch MXH brushless multi tool is phenomenal and my corded ROS65VCL sander from Bosch is pretty darn close to my two Festool sanders. As far as the different lines of tools, I get what I need. If they aren't offered from one brand or another, I get another. But my shop is in my base,net and I don't have to haul a ton of tools around. Can you imagine taking my Powermatic jointer out of the shop or my 14" Rikon bandsaw to a work area?????

• Like 2

thanks for all the info lads!!  im a carpenter/cabinet maker 1 big thing for me is  staying on thye 1 battery platform or atleast no more then 2 platforms. i cant understand how you have all those brands ? does all the different platforms not drive u mad? it also seems impractical as in cost you alot more?

It's just tough staying with one brand. They all seem to offer a tool you want but don't have on that battery platform your currently using.

• Like 1

The new Dewalt nailers look awesome, I havent used much of the newer Dewalt stuff other than what we got in the shop(Brushless drill and impact),The balance is nice and they get the job done. Im a fan of bosch,I think their jigsaws and sanders are the best but thats just my opinion. I also have a Bosch SDS and its a total beast. Like ChrisK I go with who has whatever seems to fit my needs Im just an avid DIY'er/tool junkie ;)  My profession is machining/fabricating/maintenance. I dont have any Milwaukee fuel stuff yet but im highly interested in the recip.

Around the house I have the Porter Cable 20v line and the Bosch 12v line. Ive even used the PC stuff at work in the shop doing maintenace and such and it did just fine. 

• Like 1

ya the more i look around and think about it any of the higher end hammer drill and impacts shoiuld be plenty for what i require.. although i used them alot i really dont need all the torque they offer! i can totaly understand having every and any brand when it comes to plug in tools! its just the cordless i really want to keep platforms to a minimum!! i must say im a big fan of how the new 20v finish nailer looks!!! hope its added to my tool bag soon!! also can i ask what do ye carpenters think of barrel grip jigsaws?? iv never used or seen one in real in action. thanks lads

I think barrel grips are the most comfortable,I have large hands.  Dewalt,makita,milwaukee seem to have the larger lineups.  In the end I would look and see who offers more of what you need and go that route. Honestly its gonna depend how much stuff you wanna haul around and what not.  TIA youtube review of bosch 12v barrel grip is up,can check it to get an idea.

• Like 1

yes i seen that video nice little saw!! barrel grip seems to look nicer to use in the ideal conditions if you could say that! (cutting out worktop for sink or somthing) but but what about those awkward sittuations do you find it hard to hold/grip (cutting over head, verticaly, tight corner of cabinet)

dewalt have the most appropiate range of tools but have only 1 stand out tool and thats the new nailer! (which i dont even need just want!!) i will probaly go with dewalt in the end. just wanted a 7 1/4 circulart saw though.

I think the Makita and the Milwaukee fuel circ saws for cordless are the best options if its something you are gonna use often.

This place is more than just a forum,its a community of like minded folks who love tools and doing things with their hands. Thats how i think of it anyway.

• Like 1

Your wrong Fazzman. It's a community of sick bastards who crave a constant fix for the tool addictions with no support network resulting in a continuous downwards circle into complete and utter tool destruction. How the heck am I supposed to eat cereal with an impact gun???????

• Like 8