Husky!!!

Downshftking

Im sure they will be more than fine,and if not they have a Lifetime warranty so not alot to lose. Tekton and Gearwrench make some pretty decent sockets too,and dont under estimate HF sockets,they can be beastly for a low cost.

• Like 1

The Husky mechanics tools are made by Stanley. Sockets aren't bad, though I doubt there's any metallurgical difference between the chrome and black oxide sockets.

Wrenches aren't bad performance wise, but they're too short for my tastes.

Ratchets are hit or miss. Some decent, some terrible.

Store brands are all in the gutter compared to what they used to be. Retailers figured out it's cheaper to supply a lifetime of Chinese dog shit than a lifetime of American tools. We can mostly thank assholes that want to warranty stupidity and go buy a bucket of rusty shit at the flea market and exchange them for new tools for this. Retailers instituted lifetime warranties as a commitment to consumers and an assurance of quality during a time when personal integrity still existed.

Things have changed.

Guess I came off a little harsh, it's just been one of those days.

I personally watched a guy in front of me at Sears set a 3 gallon bucket of sockets, wrenches, ratchets, and screwdrivers on the counter and wanted to warranty all of them. Most didn't have a damn thing wrong with them other than being rusted from lack of care. Hell, one of the drivers had been used to stir paint!

The guy even went as far as to tell a big story about how bad he hated to warranty them and he'd had these tools for years, blah, blah, blah, and how some of these tools were his dad's and so on.

They exchanged every one of them for brand new tools. I was so disgusted I actually told the guy "Congratulations, you just swapped a bucket of quality for a bag of Chinese crap". He looked at me all disgusted and walked away.

It's no wonder Sears is about to go belly up. There's no money to be made in warranting the stupidity and neglect of people like that.

I agree the today's Craftsman tools are nothing like the stuff from the 80's.  Most of my Craftsman tools are from the 80's and would have to be really messed up before I would exchange them.  I have exchanged some garden Craftsman stuff and even the shovels and pruning shears are not a even exchange.  The last water hose I exchanged about five years ago was as good quality as what the older hose as far as I could tell.

I used to go shopping at Sears a lot but now that I work at Home Depot and seen a lot of the tools out there I have stopped shopping at Sears me went from some craftsman to husky. Does anyone or have anyone used and felt the difference between the craftsman and husky hand tools!!! I know craftsman has its ups and downs and one of my customers said that he used craftsman tools and purchased some husky tools and did not feel a difference!!! Any thoughts!!

I received a Husky ratchet by mistake(the seller ended up letting me keep it)...I don't like it at all. The quick release button is too recessed and it just doesn't feel very good. I like the HF ratchets better than the Husky but that's just my opinion. Though, if I had to, I would take a Husky ratchet over a Chinese Craftsman.

Gearwrench makes pretty good stuff imo. I have nearly everystyle of wrench,ratchet they make. I also have the ratcheting tap and die handles,impact sockets,pliers of all sorts,even 1000v insulated tools. Been using gearwrench for years. Easy to get on Amazon. Tekton is good too,better than most Husky stuff as far as tools.

Husky toolboxes arent half bad.

I have a few Kobalt tools,They are metric stubby wrenches,bought them on a whim because I was in a hurry,they worked for what I needed.

Has anybody used Kobalt stuff?

I like their sockets but wish they had more 6 point in larger sizes. Their ratchets are ok but they have more backdrag than I like. They have more and more sets being made in China recently, those sockets are not quite the same quality as the Taiwan. The Chinese sockets look the same but have no country stamping, the ones from Taiwan have "Taiwan" stamped above the part number. The size etching is also larger on the Taiwan sockets.

I think Gearwrench is the best bang for your buck. The 120xp ratchets are extremely nice and they're not terribly expensive.

Has anybody used Kobalt stuff?

I have their 1/2" drive impact sockets, a long flex 1/2" ratchet, a 1/2" roto ratchet, the 3/8" gearless ratchet set they were blowing out last year post X-mas, and some 1/4" drive sockets. The roto is pretty coarse, the gearless stuff is just weird. Everything else I have is pretty decent.

I have been liking Gear Wrench stuff lately. Also keep an eye out on Amazon for Armstrong tools they have stuff from them occasionally on warehouse deals.

Yes on the first, YES on the second. The Armstrong MAXX 1/4" and 3/8" (x2) ratchets I have are quickly becoming favorites.