What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

5 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

Actually I got the 1000HD, one below yours. My bad, I just went and looked at the box.

funny I ordered the 1000HD and it went back order so they offered me $45 off and gave me the 1000SE.....after looking the only difference is the dial is in metric and standard

6 minutes ago, comp56 said:

funny I ordered the 1000HD and it went back order so they offered me $45 off and gave me the 1000SE.....after looking the only difference is the dial is in metric and standard

That's a pretty sweet deal for a stock mistake. I got mine on eBay for a decent price, not great but decent. I'm heading down to the shop now and though I don't think I'll get to it, who knows? Maybe today 

thought I'd make a secure holder for it to hang/place on the wall when not in use, also it comes with a few spare parts so a little container for them as well or 3 months from now I will never find them.

incra holder.png

• Like 2

Picked up an old wards master (made by Stanley) no 5 plane. First real dive into these. In real nice shape. The blade is sharp but am still going to order some diamond blades and try to sharpen it myself. I'll do some more clean up with the handles and check for flatness as well. 1ffb007adc14f641221893de208f4af2.jpg
1ae19f86a40968c690988041752c11f9.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, rrich1 said:

Picked up an old wards master (made by Stanley) no 5 plane. First real dive into these. In real nice shape. The blade is sharp but am still going to order some diamond blades and try to sharpen it myself. I'll do some more clean up with the handles and check for flatness as well. 1ffb007adc14f641221893de208f4af2.jpg
1ae19f86a40968c690988041752c11f9.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Nice pick up Rich. Now comes the slippery slope! I bought a couple of no 4 Stanley's and a Bedrock no5 all to re finish but I've got a thing for specialty planes. The Jointer planes I really haven't gotten into. Looks like a solid little plane. Also, I watched a really cool video on sandpaper sharpening that Jay Bates put out. Might want to try that before the diamond stones, a little cheaper. Also Paul Sellers has some AWESOME videos on sharpening too! Can't wait to see what you can do with that no 5 though, looks to be in really decent shape!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChrisK said:

Nice pick up Rich. Now comes the slippery slope! I bought a couple of no 4 Stanley's and a Bedrock no5 all to re finish but I've got a thing for specialty planes. The Jointer planes I really haven't gotten into. Looks like a solid little plane. Also, I watched a really cool video on sandpaper sharpening that Jay Bates put out. Might want to try that before the diamond stones, a little cheaper. Also Paul Sellers has some AWESOME videos on sharpening too! Can't wait to see what you can do with that no 5 though, looks to be in really decent shape!

thanks. ya. I have a record no 4 coming this way as well. if I had known you had so many I would have hit you up. lol. ive seen jays video and might try that too. ive found the stones around $55 each so not horrible. I found pauls videos last week and already watched most of the question and answer as well as a few of the plane vids. ha. was a slippery slope before I even got one.

now about block planes...do I really need a low angle and regular or can I get by with one?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rrich1 said:

thanks. ya. I have a record no 4 coming this way as well. if I had known you had so many I would have hit you up. lol. ive seen jays video and might try that too. ive found the stones around $55 each so not horrible. I found pauls videos last week and already watched most of the question and answer as well as a few of the plane vids. ha. was a slippery slope before I even got one.

now about block planes...do I really need a low angle and regular or can I get by with one?

Block plane is the bees knees bro. I ended up getting a Lie Nielsen low angle adjustable mouth block plane....

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/block-planes/adjustable-mouth-block-planes-?node=4072

the tools is awesome. I actually use that all of the time and you can get a Stanley block plane on eBay for $20 easily with only a little tuning up needed. Honestly, the block plane should be right up there if your going to try your hand with these.

• Like 1

I chose the low angle because it is really a perfect pitch for light removal and trim work and it is really useful in cutting away laminate too, believe it or not. The adjustable mouth is really useful to have to especially when making those deeper cuts. 

Of if you really want to go nuts, I highly recommend a router plane. I ended up getting two over the last two years, one from Lie Nielsen and one from Veritas. I actually like the Veritas one more, I was able to get a special cutter set to go with it but the router plane is awesome for cleaning up dados and also making custom inlay.

• Like 2