Typical burned up I-T-E panel

Typical burned up I-T-E panel, this was actually the best part of the panel. Busbar was burnt all the way down, all breakers are blown up. Customer does not have money to replace panel, only some breakers still work, they have extension cords everywhere. At least they have some power to keep the fridge, tv, and some lights working. Hopefully they get some money together soon, I felt bad for her so I didn't charge for the service call. 

IMAG0739.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Justin Hernandez said:

Typical burned up I-T-E panel, this was actually the best part of the panel. Busbar was burnt all the way down, all breakers are blown up. Customer does not have money to replace panel, only some breakers still work, they have extension cords everywhere. At least they have some power to keep the fridge, tv, and some lights working. Hopefully they get some money together soon, I felt bad for her so I didn't charge for the service call. 

IMAG0739.jpg

Thats tuff to hear people still struggling, but that was class act for helping them out. 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2016 at 4:46 PM, Fazzman said:

that sucks,what causes this to happen? just low quality panels or something?

This panel was most likely burned do to old age or loose connections. There was also a bunch of different manufacturers breaker on this panel I don't think that caused any damage but your suppose to only use the same manufacture as the panel.  

On 3/1/2016 at 6:31 PM, Mondo1310 said:

Thats tuff to hear people still struggling, but that was class act for helping them out. 

Thanks Mondo I try to help people as best I could

• Like 1

On 3/1/2016 at 6:36 PM, KnarlyCarl said:

That was generous of you. Those things will set you back real quick, but keeps your days exciting.

What do you know about pushmatic?

Thanks I try, what do you want to know about pushmatic?? I see them from time to time I replaced one a few months ago and kept the guts in case someone can't afford a new panel. I like how you push the breaker to turn it on and off I think its really cool. I think there from the 70's, you can still buy the breakers but they cost a lot of money. 

Ok I wondered if they were a hazard too, the push action just seemed.... different I guess, compared to the switch style, interesting little breakers

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

There are still a ton of 60's homes with bulldog panels, those things seem to have been built like tanks! Still going!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, DR99 said:

Isn't FPE another panel that is known to have problems? They really need to get that fixed though electrical isn't anything to mess around with.

Yea I see a ton of FPE panels they are nothing but problems, a lot of times the breakers wont trip when they are overloaded. The old man told me a story, back in the day working for an electrical union they had to demo stuff in a remodel. He said they put the live circuits under a piece of plywood with rubber on top and then jumped on it so the FPE breakers would trip. There was a lot of panels and you couldn't go shutting down random breakers in a working airport. It sounded like a real story to me he doesn't joke much, I don't know why they didn't use some type of tone generator or circuit tracer tool. 

11 hours ago, HiltiWpg said:

There are still a ton of 60's homes with bulldog panels, those things seem to have been built like tanks! Still going!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use a ton of Bulldog fused disconnects here from 200amps and up with the original fuses still working. I see a lot in the older homes in the Coral Gables area here, I like there little Bulldog mascot image they have on all there products.  

On 3/9/2016 at 9:50 PM, Eric - TIA said:

Justin, thanks for sharing and your a class act.  That is cool that you can help people out in a time of need.  I know we all have to make money, but there are those times it's nice to just to help out and give back.  

Thanks Eric I try

On 3/9/2016 at 10:40 PM, DR99 said:

How much are they looking at to replace the panel?

This panel has emt piped it on all four sides and the feeders come in from the back so its a major pain. Around 1300, I need a work with permit to do the work and get the meter unlocked which would be an additional cost. Permit runs 130 plus my handling fees than wait for both inspections.

5 hours ago, khariV said:

I've wondered that - how much does it cost to replace an entire panel?  I've got no space left on my existing panel and I'm probably going to need to install a secondary one somewhere in a garage to add any more breakers.

I would have to see the job, every panel is a different price and each one has its difficulties. You can buy what is called a tandem breaker to make one breaker become two breakers.