Cub Scouts in the shop

tugnut1

My son just started cub scouting a couple of months ago.  He is a late starter to this and joined the den over half way through in the year.  About two months ago, they asked for volunteers to host the woodworking requirement for the Bear rank kids.  I jumped at the opportunity since I love my shop and teaching kids about woodworking.

Everything was all pre-cut for the kids, so it was just hammering in some finished nails and a little gluing........we snuck in some battery operated drills as well......>:D

Before the kids showed up, I had a ton of shop cleaning to do.  I hit up The Home Depot to donate some aprons for the kids and then I bought each kid a hammer and set of safety glasses.

7.thumb.jpg.05081f9bd14d58ea769e4e827a9f

The kids were super happy to get their own tools and safety gear.  The kids had to complete two projects along with learning about tools and shop safety.

Here is the den leader doing the teaching.

6.thumb.jpg.809f391aa28910d4109067a59856

After that, it was the kids and parents hammering away.

4.thumb.jpg.23189f9215a0bd354c4f9fe576195.thumb.jpg.0d75d999233c3f263fcc0ba399b9

We only had an hour to work with and it just flew by.  The kids were very happy to complete their first project.....a tool box.

3.thumb.jpg.c4d662ee3509ce8134675c15da3f

It went so well that the den decided to come back for a second week and complete a bird house project.  I would do this every week if they wanted to.

1.thumb.jpg.b5631671519ad875b528250a51b22.thumb.jpg.4c2ca98d634c6b19ea875d0e1883

• Like 14

That's great, perfect first project too! Thanks for sharing.

BTW, I think it's great that HD helped out. You may also want to hit up Lowe's in the future, both stores have project days about once a month, that are free, for kids to build something with their parents. I don't have a kid but when I hear about one I send a link to my Nephew's Mother, seems like HD's are better.

• Like 1

wow that brings back so many memories, my father did the same thing for kids around the neighborhood when my brother and I was young. he did the same thing cut up all the pieces for each kid and let them glue and hammer them together. He even went to 3 different schools and did it for a short time too. All out of his pocket too.......this was in the late 60's.....

the look on those kids faces are priceless good job! those kids may not get into woodworking but someday they will recall that memory.....awesome....

• Like 3

Man I miss those cub scout days!! That's a pretty awesome you hosted the project like that they saw one of the coolest wood working shops ever!! The only thing is I think your son might have missed the pinewood derby :(

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BMack37 said:

That's great, perfect first project too! Thanks for sharing.

BTW, I think it's great that HD helped out. You may also want to hit up Lowe's in the future, both stores have project days about once a month, that are free, for kids to build something with their parents. I don't have a kid but when I hear about one I send a link to my Nephew's Mother, seems like HD's are better.

I would have hit up Lowes too, but they are not in our town.  I did try to see if Menards, or Meijer's would donate something.  Menards said the request had to go to the Corporate level and Meijers would most likely donate, but you had to file a formal request and it could take as long as 90 days to hear a response.  I waited too long for that.

7 hours ago, DR99 said:

Man I miss those cub scout days!! That's a pretty awesome you hosted the project like that they saw one of the coolest wood working shops ever!! The only thing is I think your son might have missed the pinewood derby :(

Thanks DR99.  We actually got his signed up for scouting 3 days before the Pinewood Derby this year.  So we got his kit and did the best we could with the short time.  Race Results......Not good.  LOL!20160122_191752.jpg20160123_105451.jpg20160123_105456.jpg20160123_105505.jpg

• Like 6

14 hours ago, tugnut1 said:

Thanks DR99.  We actually got his signed up for scouting 3 days before the Pinewood Derby this year.  So we got his kit and did the best we could with the short time.  Race Results......Not good.  LOL!20160122_191752.jpg20160123_105451.jpg20160123_105456.jpg20160123_105505.jpg

The results might not have been goodbut it was a sweet looking car :) That counts right !

• Like 2