What will Makita come out with next?

Jronman

On 11/30/2017 at 3:41 PM, SchenzhenSpecial said:

I'll let you take a few guesses before I tell you what it is.

2017-11-30_23-41-09.png

Looks like a 18v Fax machine.  I see the plug on the right side so maybe a 18v power unit that converts to 110 somehow? 

10 hours ago, bee-man said:

Jobsite charger with usb charging port, 120V pass though, and Bluetooth speakerphone capability. Or a charger that also doubles as a low power 120VAC power source.

How long you gonna keep us hanging?

Pretty much there. Charger w/pass through and speaker phone. The idea being it's on the drawing board and allows for conference calls. It's actually a design from 2011 and I'm not sure it'll ever make it out now. 

Is the patent pending or issued? If the patent was issued in 2011, that means Makita submitted maybe around the 2005 timeframe, before smartphones really took off... I think Bluetooth was just starting to get traction then. That also means the concept or idea may have been generated 2 years prior, unless their lawyers are really aggressive. Didn't Makita introduce the 18V LXT batteries around 2002? Who's the history buff?

I guess my point is that we might be looking at an idea that is 14yo...

• 1 month later...

Being the impact wrench connoisseur I am, I'm a bit jealous I'm not in the Makita line.  After buying the m18 mid torque I've found that I along with the rest of my crew like to use the smallest possible tool that can get the job done. For us that's a compact impact wrench for 90% of our work and this sub compact looks like it would have about the right balance of size and torque.  I really like how sleek the head and body of the tool look for being able to get into a tight corner.    

I knew about the wrench but I must have misunderstood something about the power head or forgot specifics. I thought it was going to be part of the 4 stroke gas line but then again the x2 line for it sound familiar.

I also found this. Maybe something to make a tool AWS compatible?

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/198901-5

14 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

RPM =/= Torque. A Dremel spins at 30,000 RPM, try mowing your grass with it. 

You can't really compare a dremel to a string trimmer. The mass of the dremel head is minuscule compared to a trimmer (much less force and momentum in its rotation). 

Manufacturers should quote torque specs for trimmers. Strange they don't. 

1 hour ago, D W said:

9,700 RPM for the string trimmer, that's in gas territory! No other cordless, even Ego, goes over 6,500-7,000 RPM.

That is the motor rpm not the head rpm. The trimmer attachment model EM400MP has a gear ratio of 14:19 so the head rpm is about

7150 rpm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, dmz2084 said:

That is the motor rpm not the head rpm. The trimmer attachment model EM400MP has a gear ratio of 14:19 so the head rpm is about

7150 rpm.

Thanks, good info. I didn't consider it from that perspective. 

5 hours ago, Jronman said:

I knew about the wrench but I must have misunderstood something about the power head or forgot specifics. I thought it was going to be part of the 4 stroke gas line but then again the x2 line for it sound familiar.

I also found this. Maybe something to make a tool AWS compatible?

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/198901-5

That makes it look like the bluetooth compatible tools actually require you to purchase it before being able to use the bluetooth.

Which is a little annoying because a) they can’t just do it out of the box even though you’re paying for it, and b). that would suggest you can’t make the Bluetooth features backwards compatible with other current tools, many of which won’t likely be replaced/updated for years.

Personally, I would like something that extends this functionality to any tool you feel like hooking it up to. I have the router, ORS, and plate joiner and would have really liked to have been able to enable this feature for all of them.

Still waiting for word on a cordless framing nailer(that is good).... dont really want to get in the hitachi platform.  A hybrid x2 compressor would be an interesting option too. Just my wish list.

ps. 99 percent sure the aws chip comes with the tool.  they are making it serviceable and upradeable acording to a couple WOC videos I have seen.

I took advantage of the Makita promotion and purchased the Makita XPS01Z track saw kit. I didn't open it yet because the weather is not permitting, but now I'm starting to wonder if should return it and hold out for the XPS02Z. Will they begin phasing out the non-AWS versions? It seems to make the most sense from a manufacturing perspective since I can't see AWS adding that much more cost to justify manufacturing both versions. I also doubt that I will be spending $500 on a freaking vacuum unless they come out with something at a lower price point, but it would be comforting to know that I have the option. Decisions, decision on a luxury purchase.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://www.protoolreviews.com/news/makita-auto-start-wireless-system-video/35953/

Some discussion about how Makita implemented their AWS and how certain design decisions will likely keep these new AWS tools forward-compatible as the system gets updated. Although I kind of can’t help but lament that it can’t be retrofitted to the cordless router I got a couple months ago, their decisions make a lot of sense.

Also can’t help but drool at the X2 miter and plunge saws. Two purchases I look forward to.