What is your main battery platform?

JimboS1ice

What is your main battery platform?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. In terms of 18v lines, what is your main platform?

• Dewalt 18v/20v Max (Lion)
    • Dewalt 18v XRP (NiCad)
    • Milwaukee M18
    • Makita 18v
    • Ryobi 18v One+
    • Ridgid 18v
    • Hilti 18+V
    • Bosch 18v
    • Metabo 18v
    • Black and Decker 18v
    • Porter Cable 18v
    • Kobalt 18/20/24v
    • Masterforce 18v
    • Hitachi 18v
    • Other (Leave in Comment)

Is there a vote thingy? Can't tell in Tapatalk app

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yeah Knarly you just can't see it in Tapatalk...or at least we couldnt. I logged in to the website to vote.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Firmly entrenched in M18. Some M12 stuff that's mainly accessory oriented. After years of chirping yellow I now have a small XR collection. Hoping to keep it to 2 colors/3 systems. My main problem is I can't bring myself to buy much that isn't brushless lol. In fact, I don't think I have any brushed tools beyond a cordless fan?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Bremon said:

Firmly entrenched in M18. Some M12 stuff that's mainly accessory oriented. After years of chirping yellow I now have a small XR collection. Hoping to keep it to 2 colors/3 systems. My main problem is I can't bring myself to buy much that isn't brushless lol. In fact, I don't think I have any brushed tools beyond a cordless fan?

I may actually have more m12 than m18.. 

56 minutes ago, WrenchGuru said:

I read an article recently about a mechanic using a DeWalt for three days without having to charge or change the battery. I haven't used the cordless impact from them yet so I was wondering about you guys' experience with it (I've been using other brands--only used the DeWalt for woodwork).

Brushless, I believe it. Milwaukees are absolute powerhouses, I've used some impacts before, pneumatic and battery powered but the compact brushless feel more powerful than anything I've used before...and I don't have the big Fuel 1/2 "High Torque" impact. Lithium and brushless are really astonishing technologies, game changers.

The thing is, with lithium, you want it to be fully charged. Just because you can go three days without charging doesn't mean you should. Topping them off will extend the life of the battery.

Also keep in mind that this is impact wrenches, it's not a reciprocating saw in demo or a circular saw building a house. Who knows how many times he used it. A mechanic might go as little as 8 uses for a brake job, as little as 4 for a tire change(using a powered ratchet and torque wrench to put it back on), some jobs he wouldn't use it at all...some days he might blow through a battery(also will depend on the Ah of the battery). You'd need to find runtime numbers and do real-world count of how many uses and how long each use lasts. It takes virtually no time on the trigger to remove one lug nut, one tire might only be 3 to 8 seconds on the trigger.

I cannot comment on how good the Dewalt impacts are but I'm sure they're great.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WrenchGuru said:

I read an article recently about a mechanic using a DeWalt for three days without having to charge or change the battery. I haven't used the cordless impact from them yet so I was wondering about you guys' experience with it (I've been using other brands--only used the DeWalt for woodwork).

Tore apart three JD 500R rotary platforms and rebuilt them over a course of two days plus several days of routine field blade and nut guard/accelerator changes on one 4ah battery without emptying a battery. Also run several of the M18 compact fuel impact wrenches that easily have all day run time. DeWalt DCF899 beats the 2763 on paper but Milwaukee underrated theirs because of typical shenanigans and it will consistently outperform the DeWalt in shear breakaway torque. M12 ratchets have runtime measured in days also.

6 hours ago, BMack37 said:

Brushless, I believe it.

Yep, it's not the specific brand, it's the brushless technology.

2 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

I know I do

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Briefly thought about trying to do a count in my head, but that's just too much like work.

• Like 1

Who is using B&D? We don't see a lot(or any) posts about B&D, might be nice for some of the lurkers/new members/found-in-google-search users if an owner posted their experiences with the brand. I mean it is a popular brand, owned by another popular brand, we should see more posts about them.

The only B&D thing I have is the 20v trimmer. I had an autosense drill and a reciprocating saw that I got a great deals on but I sold them without much use. The recip saw was useable but I bought it for $20...$20, new from Lowe's on sale. Regular price is like $40 for the bare tool, crazy cheap.   

• Like 1

My main platform is bosch 18v I have a lot of it and it's bomb proof also I have bosch 36v sds

Metabo 10.8v impact and drill with 5.2 ah batteries which are very good and just recently bought into the dewalt 18v ( 20v max ) with the dcf 887 but my main line is always going to be bosch as I'm heavily invested in that line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, BMack37 said:

Who is using B&D? We don't see a lot(or any) posts about B&D, might be nice for some of the lurkers/new members/found-in-google-search users if an owner posted their experiences with the brand. I mean it is a popular brand, owned by another popular brand, we should see more posts about them.

The only B&D thing I have is the 20v trimmer. I had an autosense drill and a reciprocating saw that I got a great deals on but I sold them without much use. The recip saw was useable but I bought it for $20...$20, new from Lowe's on sale. Regular price is like $40 for the bare tool, crazy cheap.   

I still miss my Autosense drill. I gave it to another member in need but that was a heck of good assembly drill. Believe it or not!