the Next Woodworker :)

ChrisK

Thanks a lot! I just wanted to say that Samantha and I have been fortunate to stay at the Ronald McDonald House in Portland. Wow. All I can say is completely humbled I am at this service. We are about a five minute walk from Maine Medical Center and the NICU where Will is. It's funny how sometimes you have to rely on others when you are used to being in charge all the time. Next time you find yourself at a McDonald's please drop some change in those slots. The service they provide is honestly unquantifiable. The house is staffed 24/7 with volunteers and staff and there is laundry facilities, wifi, computers and printers and meals are made in the kitchen every night by volunteer chefs. All they ask for is a donation at the end of your stay.

• Like 5

Well my boy is continuing to get better and there is talk that they may release us to a NICU closer to home in a week or two. He was taken off of o2 c pap? assistance sometime early yesterday morning and it has remained off. Right now he is having skin to skin contact with his mother and she, like Will,is doing better every day. Early last evening I was able to dress him for the first time. He clearly likes walking around in his boxers like his dad. This morning I got to pick him up for the first time. Pretty awesome.

IMG_1429.JPG

• Like 7

I'm having visions of making a father and son set of Roubo benches in the shop in no time.

Just wait until he us big enough to take all of your screwdrivers and hide them in the yard and then help you store your sockets in the lawnmower exhaust!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

9 hours ago, kruton said:

Just wait until he us big enough to take all of your screwdrivers and hide them in the yard and then help you store your sockets in the lawnmower exhaust!

I cracked up at this!!! 

That's what we like to hear @ChrisK  For me, the reality really didn't set in that I was a father for awhile, still unsure how it all happened... and I don't want to hear any comments from the peanut gallery!!!

• Like 2

I cracked up at this!!! 

That's what we like to hear @ChrisK  For me, the reality really didn't set in that I was a father for awhile, still unsure how it all happened... and I don't want to hear any comments from the peanut gallery!!!

At the time I saw no humor in it at all, but looking back it was hilarious!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dwain said:

Nearly a week in! Congrats mate.

I reckon you've got some tough times ahead still, not least helping your wife get through it all. But I'm sure you're up to the challenge!

Thanks Dwaine, Will is a week old today! We have an important ultrasound Wednesday so I won't return to work until next week but when I do, I'll go home from the Ronald McDonald House, got to my house and pick up the cruiser, work and return when I get off duty. That will be next week but he is improving regularly. I was told that they actually do not call him his age but rather where he would have been as compared to his anticipated due date so he is 33 weeks plus 5 and the Dpctors are really happy with his progress. We went home last night to get a nights rest and get some clothing, laundry and such and we will be heading back up in about an hour and a half. Roughest ride home I've ever had. It yeah, faith and family and friends. I've been blessed to have these and a gorgeous wife and beautiful son. What more can you ask for?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ChrisK said:

Thanks Dwaine, Will is a week old today! We have an important ultrasound Wednesday so I won't return to work until next week but when I do, I'll go home from the Ronald McDonald House, got to my house and pick up the cruiser, work and return when I get off duty. That will be next week but he is improving regularly. I was told that they actually do not call him his age but rather where he would have been as compared to his anticipated due date so he is 33 weeks plus 5 and the Dpctors are really happy with his progress. We went home last night to get a nights rest and get some clothing, laundry and such and we will be heading back up in about an hour and a half. Roughest ride home I've ever had. It yeah, faith and family and friends. I've been blessed to have these and a gorgeous wife and beautiful son. What more can you ask for?

I was super lucky to work for a company that had a really good paternity leave.  When my kids were born, I was able to take 16 weeks off with full pay.  As much of a pain in the a$$ as it was to work in that soul crushing place, I am eternally grateful that I had the chance to do that.  

It must be really hard to go back to work right away and I salute your dedication and thank you for your service.  Get ready for the sleepless nights (like I'm sure you're sleeping so much now :D)!

• Like 3

HowTF did I miss this post?! Congrats Chris! It seems a lot of babies are coming early nowadays, I'm soo glad that it's basically routine at this point so all of my friends' babies are doing well. Happy to hear that everyone is doing well, can't wait to see pics when you get him and Mom home together.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Today has been a roller coaster for us since getting back but Will got moved fro NICU to a CCN unit which is a step down unit and a pure testament to the strength my son possesses (obviously gets the looks and that trait from Mommy).  He had a bad test on his blood cells and we have to wait for a special sweat test to be ordered which hopefully won't take to long to get back once it actually gets ordered.  We have the second ultra sound on Wednesday to check on a bleed in a ventricle in his brain but that really seems to have been because of the delivery and the neurologist was confident he would be fine from this and actually met with us just to calm me down. Rough night but a great night too and we're back at the Ronald McDonald house now and ready for another awesome day with our beautiful son tomorrow. Things are looking good but we're praying a lot and keeping positive. Well at least Samantha is!  It truly amazes me how a wife and husband can lean on each other. And how someone new can bring complete and utter love. Absolutely amazing. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

Thanks guys. Today has been a roller coaster for us since getting back but Will got moved fro NICU to a CCN unit which is a step down unit and a pure testament to the strength my son possesses (obviously gets the looks and that trait from Mommy).  He had a bad test on his blood cells and we have to wait for a special sweat test to be ordered which hopefully won't take to long to get back once it actually gets ordered.  We have the second ultra sound on Wednesday to check on a bleed in a ventricle in his brain but that really seems to have been because of the delivery and the neurologist was confident he would be fine from this and actually met with us just to calm me down. Rough night but a great night too and we're back at the Ronald McDonald house now and ready for another awesome day with our beautiful son tomorrow. Things are looking good but we're praying a lot and keeping positive. Well at least Samantha is!  It truly amazes me how a wife and husband can lean on each other. And how someone new can bring complete and utter love. Absolutely amazing. 

AMEN! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChrisK said:

Dude you have my number. Call me if you need anything.

• Like 2