I'm disappointed with something I built.

Jronman

For starters this project wasn't intended to be pretty. It just needed to do the job which was provide a guide for testing which drill bit I would need for any particular screw I would need to drill a hole for. Mostly made it to test out my 20v planer and multitool. Break em in I suppose. haha. I did enjoy using them but still was disappointed with the final product. First, I cut 2 pieces off a board with my multitool. I thought It worked well and decently straight. Second, I got my drill bit set out and started drilling holes for each size of bit. I noticed as a tried to make the holes fairly evenly spaced, for the exit holes this was not the case. My drill wasn't straight is my guess. Drilling straight without a drill press is hard. Third, I labeled the size of bit I used for each hole. Fourth, I screwed the boards together. I went overkill with 8 screws but just means I used my impact 4 extra times than I needed. haha. Fifth, I planed the edges. This was the most disappointing part about the whole project. It smoothed the joints decently well but were they square? of course they weren't. As you can see in the picture it looks as though the planer wasn't completely flat on the wood. I was hopping the planer could've been a way to plane down boards at least temporarily before I save up for an actual jointer and thickness planer but if it's going to be out of square all the time it may have been a waste of money to buy the planer. 

Anyone got any suggestions to make future projects more square and drilling less angled?

Side view showing out of square

IMG_0348.JPG

Front view showing drilled holes

IMG_0349.JPG

Back view showing exits of each hole is not evenly spaced as well as the front.

IMG_0350.JPG

• Like 1

Yes, one of my favorite tools. I have had this for about 3 years but wish I bought it 30 years ago. Has a V on one side so you can drill pipe too.

Your issue is very annoying and have had it happy many times.

http://www.rockler.com/big-gator-v-drill-guide-standard?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=pla&utm_campaign=PL&sid=V9146&gclid=CNGg453e1NECFYa2wAod47gD0g

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jronman said:

For starters this project wasn't intended to be pretty. It just needed to do the job which was provide a guide for testing which drill bit I would need for any particular screw I would need to drill a hole for. Mostly made it to test out my 20v planer and multitool. Break em in I suppose. haha. I did enjoy using them but still was disappointed with the final product. First, I cut 2 pieces off a board with my multitool. I thought It worked well and decently straight. Second, I got my drill bit set out and started drilling holes for each size of bit. I noticed as a tried to make the holes fairly evenly spaced, for the exit holes this was not the case. My drill wasn't straight is my guess. Drilling straight without a drill press is hard. Third, I labeled the size of bit I used for each hole. Fourth, I screwed the boards together. I went overkill with 8 screws but just means I used my impact 4 extra times than I needed. haha. Fifth, I planed the edges. This was the most disappointing part about the whole project. It smoothed the joints decently well but were they square? of course they weren't. As you can see in the picture it looks as though the planer wasn't completely flat on the wood. I was hopping the planer could've been a way to plane down boards at least temporarily before I save up for an actual jointer and thickness planer but if it's going to be out of square all the time it may have been a waste of money to buy the planer. 

Anyone got any suggestions to make future projects more square and drilling less angled?

Side view showing out of square

IMG_0348.JPG

Front view showing drilled holes

IMG_0349.JPG

Back view showing exits of each hole is not evenly spaced as well as the front.

IMG_0350.JPG

Its looks fine man ☺ way better then I could do . not all of my projects have turned out man 

make yourself a drill block out of 2 small pieces of wood,clamp or hold it in place then drill.... while drilling keep drill bit is up against corner

drill block.png

https://www.todayshomeowner.com/stream/833-ss-diy-jig-drilling-perpendicular-holeHD.mp4

• Like 5

@comp56 oh wow thats cool. It even has depth set as well. Say I use this drill block and I need to go deeper than the block will allow. Once the hole is started can I remove the block and expect a straight hole the rest of the way?

Any ideas on how to keep my cuts square with my planer or does it just take practice? Would using the planer edge guide help?

40 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I have 2 blocks, one tall and one short (half height). I start my hole with the tall block and move to the short one. Once you have half of the drill bit into the hole it will be enough to maintain 90 degrees for you to set it the rest of the way. 

yes you really don't need much for height to get started

3 hours ago, comp56 said:

make yourself a drill block out of 2 small pieces of wood,clamp or hold it in place then drill.... while drilling keep drill bit is up against corner

drill block.png

https://www.todayshomeowner.com/stream/833-ss-diy-jig-drilling-perpendicular-holeHD.mp4

That is an amazing tip, I'll be making a couple. I love my drill press but you can't always use a drill press!

18 hours ago, SetBuilder said:

Thats wood working, I learn something with every project I build. Just keep making stuff and the knowledge will come...

Agreed, you can never learn too much, always another way to do something too achieve the same result, words of wisdom right there

• Like 1