Jump to content

New 12v lasers from DeWalt! Packaged in a TSTAK case!


The.Handyman

Recommended Posts

 

DW0825LG - 12V 5 Spot + Cross Line Green Laser ($499)

- Vertical & horizontal cross, along with up, down, forward, & side to side plumb dots.

-Accuracy of +/- 1/8" at 30 feet

-2 m drop rating

-Locking pendulum

-Integrated magnetic bracket

-1/4-20 and 5/8-11 thread mounts

-12-Volt MAX battery and charger included

-TSTAK storage case

-150 ft. range (165 ft. with detector)

 

DW0822LG - 12V 2 Spot + Cross Line Green Laser ($399) -Vertical & horizontal cross, along with up and down plumb dots

 

DW085LG - 12V 5 Spot Green Laser ($399) -Up, down, forward, & side to side plumb dots

 

RED laser versions also available (price will surely be lower). These can currently be seen on the Home Depot website, DeWalt.com, and Amazon.

 

Available for pre-sale on Amazon.

 

Well done DeWalt. I am looking forward to the new lasers. I could definitely see myself upgrading to the 5 point cross line green version.4cf3129ea4dfc5df577d8b79990c0a77.jpgc1feba0402fbaa807c383b3fd20e2321.jpg9b6a68dcec34bc21d108a4185ccc1582.jpg39c7733d42c155b1932fd8137ca02e45.jpgb53332c1d86c29c1a1b4f50e7ee21120.jpg69e0ece11fa48f995d30af5116b10eb8.jpg731d1b641601cc25a93fce5ab7dfaa02.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just don't like investing into batteries that can only be used for one tool (lets face it the 12v line is, well...where is it, actually?) 

 

I'd much rather be able to buy it bare tool and drop a 20v 2.0ah in it that I already have and save my $75 for a pair, even if it's slightly larger as a result. I mean I get what you're saying and why they did it but it's not for everyone IMO.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I just don't like investing into batteries that can only be used for one tool (lets face it the 12v line is, well...where is it, actually?) 

 

I'd much rather be able to buy it bare tool and drop a 20v 2.0ah in it that I already have and save my $75 for a pair, even if it's slightly larger as a result. I mean I get what you're saying and why they did it but it's not for everyone IMO.  

 

Forgive me for being cynical but if $75 on batteries for an almost $500 laser is a deal breaker, were you really into buying it anyway?

 

The extra cost of a kit including a battery compared to bare body is a fraction of the price in comparison to buying them standalone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, stductwork said:

 

Forgive me for being cynical but if $75 on batteries for an almost $500 laser is a deal breaker, were you really into buying it anyway?

 

The extra cost of a kit including a battery compared to bare body is a fraction of the price in comparison to buying them standalone. 

 

Not when you add in the value of the tstak and included battery. If the $400 laser I want costs $300 bare tool in 20v without my need to buy more batteries comes along...yes, I'm really into buying it because I know at some point it'll come down the line, perhaps even with updated green diodes that will make these obsolete not only in visibility but in voltage as well. It's not so much about deal breaking as just nonsensical to someone who doesn't already have 12v (not sure about other markets but I've literally never seen anyone pull out a 12v Dewalt in the field of any sort...ever.) but owns lots of 20v. This laser should last easy a good 15 years and I would bet the farm they won't be making 12v batteries in current form factor for half of that. 

 

I'd rather have it run on 8 or 10 AA's than 12v and at least know I'm good for the life of the tool. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
This laser should last easy a good 15 years and I would bet the farm they won't be making 12v batteries in current form factor for half of that. 
 
I'd rather have it run on 8 or 10 AA's than 12v and at least know I'm good for the life of the tool. 
 
 


DeWalt is still making the 18v XRP batteries. I don't see them cutting off production of 12v batteries, especially since they are cheap to make with their 2.0ah cells. DeWalt is releasing more specialty items in 12v, so it is somewhat committed to keeping it around. Not to mention, battery cells can easily be switched out for new ones if they fail. I am not sure if the DeWalt 12v like case that holds AAs will power a green laser.

I held my 20v 2.0ah battery next to my DW088LG cross line laser and its nearly the same size. I wouldn't want a laser to be as big as needed to mount a 20v battery to it.

On a side note, Bosch is releasing a 12v powered green laser with Bluetooth capability. Pretty cool stuff!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

 

Not when you add in the value of the tstak and included battery. If the $400 laser I want costs $300 bare tool in 20v without my need to buy more batteries comes along...yes, I'm really into buying it because I know at some point it'll come down the line, perhaps even with updated green diodes that will make these obsolete not only in visibility but in voltage as well. It's not so much about deal breaking as just nonsensical to someone who doesn't already have 12v (not sure about other markets but I've literally never seen anyone pull out a 12v Dewalt in the field of any sort...ever.) but owns lots of 20v. This laser should last easy a good 15 years and I would bet the farm they won't be making 12v batteries in current form factor for half of that. 

 

I'd rather have it run on 8 or 10 AA's than 12v and at least know I'm good for the life of the tool. 

 

 

 

I highly doubt they're going to stop producing 12v slide on batteries, and even if they do before the tool fives out I'd imagine third party manufacturers will continue anyway. I can still get XRP batteries quite readily and they've stopped making that gear a long time ago. 

 

As for the AA batteries I think the lithium switch was the better move. I've been in the situation where I'm on a job and the batteries die and having to walk to find the nearest store to get more. No thanks. At least with two and a charger it eliminates that problem not to mention the cost of AAs. I don't find good ones to be cheap. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You know rechargeable AAs exist and aren't expensive right? Good rechargeable AA are cheaper than 3 18650s in.a plastic housing. I'm not saying AA is the better way to go but your argument is "these rechargeable batteries and charger are way more convenient than these other smaller, lighter, cheaper batteries and their small charger". 

 

Note that for some of us the "but it uses the same batteries and charger you already have" argument isn't very compelling because the 12v line isn't very compelling. I don't believe the new fast chargers work for 12v max either, which means another charger to carry. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

TSTAK housing for the lasers is an excellent choice because people won't have to spend additional money to be in Dewalt's storage system. As for the 10.8v battery, I am not happy about it because I will have to carry an additional charger and batteries. It's just a logistical nuisance. Plain and simple. It might be a lesser issue if you work alone or don't have to deal with subcontractors because power outlets will be always available.

 

I don't know why 18v batteries cannot be used for this line of Dewalt lasers. Does it have to do with size and weight? Because if I want a compact and lightweight laser, I would spend extra money and purchase a PLS laser or an AA powered laser.

 

So what do I want from this line of Dewalt lasers? I want the convenience of the brand's ecosystem. That means a 18v battery powered laser so I can take a 18v 2.0ah battery out of DCN660 or DCF620 and put it onto the laser. A seamless workflow but why can't we have that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bremon said:

You know rechargeable AAs exist and aren't expensive right? Good rechargeable AA are cheaper than 3 18650s in.a plastic housing. I'm not saying AA is the better way to go but your argument is "these rechargeable batteries and charger are way more convenient than these other smaller, lighter, cheaper batteries and their small charger". 

 

Note that for some of us the "but it uses the same batteries and charger you already have" argument isn't very compelling because the 12v line isn't very compelling. I don't believe the new fast chargers work for 12v max either, which means another charger to carry. 

 

They aren't expensive but nor are they practical. They're lower voltage, lower capacity and unless you have multiple sets or a charger to hand constantly there's certainly no benefit. If you carry one maybe two lasers and you use it here or there for maybe an hour or two at a time, sure, go for it. If you have them in use all day long and you have more than one and they're being used between a few guys the AA's just aren't as practical and in reality aren't that much cheaper either.

 

And no, that isn't my argument. The batteries I have are all Makita. To use dewalt lasers it was pretty much a new platform for me but as I've mentioned, the price of a kit including a battery and charger was £30 or so different to just buying a bare body.

 

If the AA batteries thing is really that much of an issue for you there's always the attached file. They recommend it only be used with the Red lasers as I'd imagine the AA's don't have a high enough voltage nor allowance for current draw to power the green diodes reliably.

 

AA Battery Pack.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, muddychip said:

I don't know why 18v batteries cannot be used for this line of Dewalt lasers. Does it have to do with size and weight? Because if I want a compact and lightweight laser, I would spend extra money and purchase a PLS laser or an AA powered laser.

 

So what do I want from this line of Dewalt lasers? I want the convenience of the brand's ecosystem. That means a 18v battery powered laser so I can take a 18v 2.0ah battery out of DCN660 or DCF620 and put it onto the laser. A seamless workflow but why can't we have that?

 

They'll have done this market research before deciding to use lithium batteries on their lasers long before this model has been mentioned simply because the DW087/088 were so well proven and they were powered off 3xAA batteries.

 

You'll find the desire for a compact laser while still offering a rugged design and practical use will outweigh the desire to use an 18v battery pack on it which would almost double the size and weight of the tool.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@stductwork that's fine if that works for you. As I said, I wasn't advocating for AA. I was saying not having the gear you need can happen and a trip to the hardware store or wherever can happen in any number of scenarios. I'm sure the types of crews that have 40+ 18v batteries would rather stick with it than buy 6+ new batteries for 4 lasers. Variety is the spice of life and one man's junk is another man's potpourris; I'm glad you like the smell of 12v Max lol. I'd rather have a larger tool than a new platform for one tool. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guys what's with the size and weight? This is a laser, you don't stand around holding it. You set it on the floor or on a tripod. It's not like it's a 2 hand tool here that has to fit into tight places. 

 

It could be 3 times as heavy and twice as big and I'd still be around 0 fucks given for something like this. As for the AA comments, I could buy 150 AA's (non rechargable) for the cost of one 12v. Add a backup battery and a charger...something like 600 AA's. Not the most practical if you're running 10hrs a day every day as said but for the guy using it a few hours a day at the most like I do, it's a no brainer. No charging, years and years of supply from a battery platform that will probably take 50 years to go away. My rinky dink 10yr old cross beam laser runs on AA's and I've changed them three times in that amount of time. Of course it's red and green is higher energy but even if it took 8 AA's to get it going I could still change them 75 times before I'd break even.

 

I see no appeal at all for 12v here, unless it's called Milwaukee. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally don't care either way....if your in the Dewalt line ,,I'm quite sure you own at least a couple 12v batteries.....I use a laser everyday, it's on maybe an 1 hr total all day...5min here and there...Dewalt specs it 50hrs using the dots..for me that's all week maybe 2weeks......I pack a couple 12v anyway ,why? I don't know ,I have Dewalt 12v tools but never use em...I'd rather charge my 12v once a month then be buying batteries...........

.                ....but if the laser ran on batteries,,I'd buy stock in "Duracell " and buy a shitload of em,,,....I'm just glad they made a ....green.... 5 dot and cross line......I own a Bosch,..Hilti...PLS....all red ...looking forward to green....Dewalt ! ! ! !

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm in Dewalt and own 0 12v Max batteries. I'm not the only one. I'm playin devils advocate here, but I hate the idea of dedicated batteries for specific tools. If I didn't I'd have a cordless Fein multitool. @Framer joe you're among friends here, you don't have to lie and say you own other brands, it's ok (kidding ?). 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Guys what's with the size and weight? This is a laser, you don't stand around holding it. You set it on the floor or on a tripod. It's not like it's a 2 hand tool here that has to fit into tight places. 

 

It could be 3 times as heavy and twice as big and I'd still be around 0 fucks given for something like this. As for the AA comments, I could buy 150 AA's (non rechargable) for the cost of one 12v. Add a backup battery and a charger...something like 600 AA's. Not the most practical if you're running 10hrs a day every day as said but for the guy using it a few hours a day at the most like I do, it's a no brainer. No charging, years and years of supply from a battery platform that will probably take 50 years to go away. My rinky dink 10yr old cross beam laser runs on AA's and I've changed them three times in that amount of time. Of course it's red and green is higher energy but even if it took 8 AA's to get it going I could still change them 75 times before I'd break even.

 

I see no appeal at all for 12v here, unless it's called Milwaukee. 

 

 

So perhaps this laser and those like it weren't really targeted at users like you to begin with?

 

 

$_58.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8yearcheddarhalfloaf1250-jpg.jpg

To go along with all the WHINE!

 

Here is the easy solution: If you don't like it, don't buy it. DeWALT's 12V MAX line is so bad, run off and buy Milwaukee's tool. Somebody mentioned 50 hours of run time, that is 5 ten hour days and the battery lasted all week. So carry the battery in the unit, keep the spare in box, change it when needed. go home at the  end of the day and slap the depleted battery in the slow charger you have there that charges 12s and 20s (chances are, right now if you own 20V MAX tools you already own a charger that works with the 12V MAX batteries). The next day you grab the charged battery throw it in the box and you will have it in a few weeks when you need to change it again. If you can't handle those simple steps, you are probably in the wrong business.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, stductwork said:

 

 

So perhaps this laser and those like it weren't really targeted at users like you to begin with?

 

 

$_58.JPG

 

I almost bought that one but it doesn't have vertical point transfer which I need. Otherwise I wouldn't be complaining, lol. 

 

@comp56 the reason is because green diodes are 4x more visible than red, thus more mula. Indoors red is sometimes fine but sometimes you need more visibility in bright situations or on exterior walls. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Member Statistics

    18,176
    Total Members
    6,555
    Most Online
    Tony Su
    Newest Member
    Tony Su
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...