Makita behind on batteries

glass

Makita has had 20 cell tools since 2013 and yet people still want bigger batteries for Makita tools. Current 15 cell batteries for the most part only date back to 2016 with flexvolt then others shortly after. Does Makita really need larger cells yet? Is 20 cells of 18650 really farther behind than 15 or even 10 of the 21700?

I am very happy with the 5AH batteries, but hopefully there will be a promotion on these when they come out.

On 12/25/2019 at 2:26 PM, Fireguy116 said:

I spoke to makita USA the other day about this issue and they told be they were working on a new 9ah battery. They weren’t sure on the release date but it is coming they said. 

• 2 weeks later...

There’s a guy who’s missing the point. Sure, changing batteries too often is inconvenient but an impact driver with even a 3Ah battery just goes and goes and goes. I’m actually planning to get a pair of 3Ah batteries at some point for this specific reason, even while they are the exact same size as the 5Ah.

I'm all for matching the tool and battery for the task at hand.  Then again it wasn't that long ago that dewalt xrp 18v batteries were the gold standard in cordless and a 9.0 pack isn't much different in size.  Personally I'm glad those days are in the past and love the new smaller and lighter tools but it might not be quit as ridiculous to others as it seems to us.

There’s a guy who’s missing the point. Sure, changing batteries too often is inconvenient but an impact driver with even a 3Ah battery just goes and goes and goes. I’m actually planning to get a pair of 3Ah batteries at some point for this specific reason, even while they are the exact same size as the 5Ah.

My point was that people do use massive batteries on impacts.

Reddawg didn't think anyone would.

These are the same idiots who use impacts in panels and on trim work.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I like the 5AH over the 4 because they are the same size. I no longer have any 3 Ah.

I have a 2Ah Dewalt slim pack I use on an impact for drywall screws. At most, I’ll send a couple hundred screws.

The slim pack worked good on the nail gun the other day when I had to send 70 2” ring shank nails on a Hardie siding repair job. Noticeably lighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is why I like the new slim higher output packs, the 4.0 on my Bosch impact last forever but keeps the weight down, just ordered a couple 3.0 HO Milwaukee slims too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I don't understand why don't tool manufacturers use li-po pouch cells.

Cylindrical cells are just not the right kind of tech for power tools because of the low discharge currents. Plus they take up too much space.

But li-pos pouches can discharge hundreds of amps because of the huge surface area, and they last much longer, like 80% after 1000+ cycles. 

Cylindrical cells only last 250-300 cycles at 80%

• 1 year later...
On 12/10/2019 at 5:40 PM, kat said:

At this point it's clear that batteries have to be standardised. Same battery for all cordless tools. Governments need to step in and force them to abide to a standard.

This is the stupidest take I have ever seen in my entire life.  I went through the hassle of creating an account just to ridicule it.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

An here we go, one year later, power tool manufacturers are finally switching to pouch cells!

First are Dewalt and Flex, but rumours are the Makita will be switching too. I hope they won't be the last again :(

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/1/2022 at 5:53 PM, kat said:

An here we go, one year later, power tool manufacturers are finally switching to pouch cells!

First are Dewalt and Flex, but rumours are the Makita will be switching too. I hope they won't be the last again :(

Would the newer Stihl AP500s batteries fit into that category?