Hardware stores

RobertMcNjr

Its like Toys R Us for me, everytime I go in one I buy something I didn't plan on buying. I love browsing Home Depot or Lowes looking for cool tools or deals on something. The feeling never fails for me, the moment I enter its like christmas morning, thinking to myself as I look around "ooooooooooooooooooooooo" grunting like Tim Allen when I see something I like (not out loud though, people would look at me weird if they heard me just randomly grunting at something).

In my travels I like to find the Mom and Pop hardware stores that have been around for ever. You can find some stuff you can not find anymore. They can be a gold mine. The big box stores have a lot of stuff but sometimes the little guy has them beat.

• Like 1

They are just gone now. We had a regional hardware store make for awhile after Lowes and Home Depot moved in. It was called Aco hardware to be honest they kinda sucked for most things the tool selection wasn't that great. They are not part of the ACE Hardware now and carry much better tools now Craftsman Milwaukee Dewalt hand and power tools. We have a few plumbing supply places left but after the 2008 great rescission and Michigan's economy sucking in general most of the Lumber yards closed up.

I'm lucky to still have some local hardware stores near me along with a few big tool retailers.. the brick and mortar for tools-plus.Com and coastaltool.Com are both within 20 minutes of me. Also Tool Nut is only about 1.5 hours away and on the way to my sisters house :)

I still spend a good amount at depot but I really prefer buying as much as I can from these other places

I really love the old hardware stores. I look for old window parts plumbing supplies and whatever and buy as much as I can. I find myself using more and more of my stockpile on jobs the harder it is to find this stuff. A lot of times people don't want to replace things  of can't afford to replace them so if you can fix it it puts some cash in your pocket and most the times it bring you back for the bigger jobs.

I just stumbled on one buying K1 for my torpedo heater in the shop Regopit. Cameron's in Farmington. Tons of small hand tools and odds and ends. Some higher quality stuff too. And I just found a local lumber distributor just started selling Festool! Holy smokes!