What every toolman fears

RobertMcNjr

Its prolly one of my only fears but, I dread the day when my vehicle gets broken into and everything I own gets cleaned out. Sadly this happened to one of my co-workers, he lives in a rough area and his truck has poor locks so he got robbed. One of our Carpenters got robbed while on the job!! How crazy is that...how can people steal another person's livelihood, possibly jeopardizing their job since they have no tools and can't do the work unless the tools he needs are provided. Makes me sad...

I wish their was some kind of insurance I could get for what I own, I would probably get it since I'm so invested.

Yea for sure dude get ur tools insured my buddy is heavily invested in his sound system which a waste of money to me lol but exspensive and he got his car broken into one time and they replaced everything that was taken. These rat bastards will take anything and sell it for way under what u paid for it just to get a quick high

I work with some pretty spendy equipment... makes Festool look like kid's candy... the one rule: you don't leave a $35,000 total station or $80,000 GPS setup in the rig unattended for any length of time...

You don't know how many times I've been driving down the road and see a Total station set up and the crew is way down the road. It would be so ease to stop and throw that in the truck and drive off.

Here in belgium the  Makita demo vans have had their stickering removed. They are now completly black and anonymous.

Half a year ago one of those vans was stopped and robbed and the Makita Rep guy had a gun to his head to keep him down on the ground while his whole van got robbed.

Makita's Belgium reaction was to remove all stickers/lettiering/stickers from the vans.

it blows my mind what some people will do to others.. 

some of your local insurance providers that cater to contractors should be able to provide insurance but im sure it wont be cheap.. just be very aware of your surroundings, the people who you are working with and keeping your truck/van/trailer secure.   like Korno said, ditch all the tool stickers and even cover any windows you can. keep things locked with the toughest locks you can buy..   theives are usually after the easiest target.. if you make it hard enough for them they will move on. 

You don't know how many times I've been driving down the road and see a Total station set up and the crew is way down the road. It would be so ease to stop and throw that in the truck and drive off.

Yep, though they are a little hard to sell when they are hot...