Carbon fibre level?

dale1393434551

I saw a picture in my latest JLC. It looks sweet! I just hope the corners aren't beveled or to rounded. I hate the bevel edges on my Empire Blue levels. It makes it very hard to draw a straight line when your pencil line can vary due to the bevel...I hope that makes sense.

I saw a picture in my latest JLC. It looks sweet! I just hope the corners aren't beveled or to rounded. I hate the bevel edges on my Empire Blue levels. It makes it very hard to draw a straight line when your pencil line can vary due to the bevel...I hope that makes sense.

Makes perfect sense. I like a good sharp edge to scribe line with. I will have to do some digging for info on this level.

http://www.jlconline.com/tools-and-equipment/cool-tools-for-2015_o.aspx

Quick search and this is all I found.. the weight and strength must be great but the only thing I would worry about is that carbon fiber doesn't take impact well.. I think it tends to crush and splinter.. it's inevitable that it will get banged up on a jobsite.

It's gonna need to be one hell of a level for Dewalt to take me from stabila..

post-49019-0-47860000-1425441253_thumb.j

• Like 5

Aaaah crap. I just invested in a bunch of Stabila R300's these last months.

Carbon fiber levels. Nice to see DeWALT are choosing new materials for their tools. I don't know much about carbon, but it is in fact very resistant to impact. Like the Formula 1 cars. The monocoque for one is made from carbon and must protect the driver during a crash. Seeing the high speeds, that stuff is pretty impact resistant :)

They are calling it carbon fibre but is it some kind of hybrid like fiberglass with a carbon fibre overlay. I know someone that is involved with the Lotus F1 race Team and he told me a few years ago that the Monocoque cost $118,000.That is just the cockpit that the driver sits in and their budget is 250 million per season. each car cost about 2.5 million and they spend about 12.5 million per race.

They are calling it carbon fibre but is it some kind of hybrid like fiberglass with a carbon fibre overlay. I know someone that is involved with the Lotus F1 race Team and he told me a few years ago that the Monocoque cost $118,000.That is just the cockpit that the driver sits in and their budget is 250 million per season. each car cost about 2.5 million and they spend about 12.5 million per race.

for a level 118,000 would be a little high for me.. if they could manage to keep it under 100,000 then I'll entertain it!!

It's insane what those race teams spend! I would love just 1% of their annual budget! They wouldn't even notice a measly 1% :)

• 4 weeks later...