Interesting way to hide screws

khariV

I came across this video today in my wanderings. I'm a nub, so it's not surprising that I've never heard of doing something like this before, but for the sake of sharing, I figured I'd throw it up here and see if anyone else finds it interesting.

• Like 3

I think I would still prefer the counter sink and dowel method. if the chiselled piece isn't exactly squared or chips out and you "lose a piece" as he said then what do you do with a finished board that cant be fixed because the chisel snapped the piece? it is neat however the dowel method leaves a more appealing (to me) finish. maybe im crazy?

• Like 2

Wow. Pretty neat. I'm not sure I'm sold 100% for stain grade projects, but it's a great idea in theory. Not sure how it would work with harder woods like oak or maple. He was using yellow pine which is soft and easier to manipulate. I may have to toy with a few scraps. Could be used to play some tricks on someone. Lol.

I think I would still prefer the counter sink and dowel method. if the chiselled piece isn't exactly squared or chips out and you "lose a piece" as he said then what do you do with a finished board that cant be fixed because the chisel snapped the piece? it is neat however the dowel method leaves a more appealing (to me) finish. maybe im crazy?

I agree 100% with Chewie. Dowel all the way. I am also with Ricky, how many pine projects are you concerned about hiding a screw. I think any harder of a wood and it will not be possible. That being said I will still file this tip away in my Trick bag.