Organizing, Warranties, Manuals, & Receipts = How, where

Michaellusk

Requesting Video from TIA....

Ok! I got one for yall. I buy quite a few power tools and such quite often. Over the past 2 yrs I have accumulated a lot of receipts, manuals, and warranties.  However; I have not been to diligent in keeping records of “when bought,” where the manuals are, and the type of warranty I got.  PLUS! Some of the receipts that I have  multiple tools on it which is a big mistake. I have taken them back, they marked it up, and returned it to me with additional receipts.  Can get very confusing after a while.  I am trying to train myself no matter how many items I buy i.e. Lowes, keep the stuff that have warranties on a separate receipts.  

Lowes is pretty easy, they keep my receipts on my lowes card. Not the credit card.  However, as you know , we don’t always buy everything from Lowes or Home Depot. That is my main purpose to buy at lowes cause of the no questions asked return policy. I love that.  I buy a some stuff from other vendors that promise warranties and manuals yet they want the original receipt. And sometimes their are special conditions you need to meet.  Well, I’m an not well organized in the area YET!!! I do have the receipts, most manuals, and stuff. Just not orgainized. Probably can do some electronically, but not all. Need some type of spreadsheet or something to help keep track of them we can keep in the cloud and hard copy. 

I personally have often wondered how some people keep track of all that stuff. Most people take it for granted, yet when they need a warranty or info, they can’t find it.  A arcticle and video would help a great desl with suggestions, different methods, and styles for record keeping. 

• Like 1

nice thing about Milwaukee is they go by serial number not paper work......and for all the rest I usually put everything in one box may not be best but I will always find if need be......I personally don't see the need to record dates of purchase, if the tool/product fails I then look in box for receipt and then will see when it was bought...

• Like 1

nice thing about Milwaukee is they go by serial number not paper work......and for all the rest I usually put everything in one box may not be best but I will always find if need be......I personally don't see the need to record dates of purchase, if the tool/product fails I then look in box for receipt and then will see when it was bought...

Isn't it a 5 yr from the date of purchase? What if your tool's been on the shelf for a little while? I just bought a 2797-22 Combo Kit serial dated Feb 2014. Does that mean I'm more than one year into my warranty?

• Like 1

Isn't it a 5 yr from the date of purchase? What if your tool's been on the shelf for a little while? I just bought a 2797-22 Combo Kit serial dated Feb 2014. Does that mean I'm more than one year into my warranty?

Well Doof, that just it. Their are quite a few things that I buy, especially tools, I try and keep the receipts.  I guess comp56 has a good idea, however I would like to see TIA do a vid on it and see how some people deal with it. Just be nice to see and hear some stories from fellow woodworker/ TIA members who have encountered such happenings.  The answer to your question? That is one of the questions I have. Did you keep the paperwork , receipt, warranty, manual for the tool? It should tell you the specifics via manufacturer and so forth.  I'm interested in your question too and would like to hear too. Tyvm...Michael

• Like 1

that is all well and fine, if the receipt goes in box and it fails you will have the date stamp ....biggest thing is keep all and everything receipt and tool related in one box ...mine is messy but if I ever need it they will be in the box.....

• Like 1

Here is what I do:  I get my receipt emailed to me.  I file it in my email folder titled receipts.  It is then searchable.  I have access via my phone so I can give them the receipt number to look up and they can't mark anything out.  If the receipt line is something that doesn't look like something I would use to describe the tool (i.e. M12 Fl Hckzl) I forward the receipt to myself with a note of what the tool is (Milwaukee M12 Fuel Hackzall).  Then file it in my receipts folder.  

If the place doesn't email receipts, I snap a photo of the receipt then send it to my email account.  

For serial numbers I take a photo of all serial numbers (which usually have the model number nearby) and file it in a folder for serial numbers in my photo album.  

• Like 1

I try to keep all my manuals and receipts together and organized, I'm not the best at it though. My best advise to anyone is to make sure they register the tool with the manufacturer after purchase. I really need to sit down and go through my tools and make a list and take pictures of everything I have just in case something ever happened.

Get one of those fire proof, water proof etc. safes and put all your paperwork in it if need be. For as much as it's going to cost to replace everything you own that safe is chump change.

I'd highly recommend making copies and taking pictures of receipts. Home Depot receipts will fade to nothing in no time at all.

• Like 1

NEAT Receipts scanner. Scan them into your computer using their software which searches all the text of that receipt. When I need to recall a receipt, I search by manufacturer, keyword or sku if I know what store I bought it from. I can access it from my phone or iPad as well.

• Like 1

NEAT Receipts scanner. Scan them into your computer using their software which searches all the text of that receipt. When I need to recall a receipt, I search by manufacturer, keyword or sku if I know what store I bought it from. I can access it from my phone or iPad as well.

ok, that sounds like a great way. Would they accept a scanned receipt? Would you file the original? 

• Like 1

Milwaukee goes by date of purchase with receipt. If you don't have the receipt, then they go by date of manufacture.

In other words, if you don't have your receipt, that shelf time eats into your coverage

I have some different shelving that I am going to use for tools and stuff. They are still in the boxes. I am in the process of moving, so I haven't even opened the box to check the inventory to see if all the parts are their. I am going to try and make it a habbit to at least open stuff and make sure all is working or at least the inventory Sheet. I might try that Neat scanner and just file the receipts in a file cab. I like to do everything both ways if it is possible, might be a little extra work, but worth it in the end.  I agree that we should also take pics of ser#'s keep them in the cloud for insurance purposes... Thanks appreciate all you guys's help. I really like this site. Tools for me, especially for my little woodworking hobby, are a must have for me. Just recently became single again, and now have more time for the shop :-) hehehehe

• Like 1

Before we had a house fire I had every tool manual, an warranty info an every hardware store reciept in two different portable file folder things. I also had a binder for just the welding supply's an three different steel yard receipts. I had pictures on my ipad of tools as well, that also got destroyed.

Now I am in the habit of throwing them somewhere in my truck. I really gotta improve. I do have pictures of my tools on phone an iPad for insurance, praying there never needed again.

• Like 1

All my receipts go in my manuals.  These are either stapled or dropped in a Ziploc bag.  All my manuals go in my file cabinet.  That way even if I need the manual 10 years from now I still have the receipt.  If it happens to be an electronic manual or electronic receipt I keep a copy online (Google drive)  and TRY... to keep a copy of the receipt on my phone (I use a program called Scanbot).  Then I have it with me if I need to take an item back.

• Like 1

All my manuals are on my iPad, receipts are scanned in, and added to a database program I have on my iMac, it also stores a picture and the serial number.  A lot of stores are now offering paper-less receipts, that get sent to your e-mail.

-Steven

Hi Steven. Question. I use all apple products. I have an iMac. What programs are you using for your above statement?

• Like 1

Hi Steven. Question. I use all apple products. I have an iMac. What programs are you using for your above statement?

It's called Home Inventory from Binary Formations - It was only $24.99 and it won Apple's Editors Choice Award

Edit - Forgot to add that I use the built in App iBooks on my iPad for my manuals, I just download the manuals from the manufacture's web site

• Like 1