Milwaukee shockwave 2nd gen bits

DarynH

maybe that is the second gen part they are now magnetic garbage, truth be told I seldom use philips head generally always NO.2 Robertson (square) Canadian thing and the Milwaukee seems to last. 

• Like 1

It's nice that in Canada square drive took off. I have to say the past 15 years we have seen more drive styles take hold in the USA now. It used to be 95% Phillips and some slot drive for hardware. Now we have torx and all sorts now even at the big stores. The only thing that still is mostly Phillips is drywall screws still. I did not like the Milwaukee shockwave Phillips bits at all either. The tips got damaged pretty quick.

maybe that is the second gen part they are now magnetic garbage, truth be told I seldom use philips head generally always NO.2 Robertson (square) Canadian thing and the Milwaukee seems to last.

I use Robertson when I can but most common screws are Phillips sadly.

I went to dang HD it was packed!! I went to go scope out some Labor Day sales nothing special I was also hoping that HD was gonna have the new tough box with clear lid but nope! My wife just picked up a couple things for house and I totally forgot about the bits :/:/ oh well that means I gotta make another trip during the week

It's nice that in Canada square drive took off. I have to say the past 15 years we have seen more drive styles take hold in the USA now. It used to be 95% Phillips and some slot drive for hardware. Now we have torx and all sorts now even at the big stores. The only thing that still is mostly Phillips is drywall screws still. I did not like the Milwaukee shockwave Phillips bits at all either. The tips got damaged pretty quick.

Most of electrical work can be done with a #1 and #2 square, I love it life has been much easier there still is a lot of Phillips stuff though. I can wire a whole panel with a #2 square ground bar, neutral bar, breakers and the cover but some of the higher amp breakers require a flat screwdriver. 

Most of electrical work can be done with a #1 and #2 square, I love it life has been much easier there still is a lot of Phillips stuff though. I can wire a whole panel with a #2 square ground bar, neutral bar, breakers and the cover but some of the higher amp breakers require a flat screwdriver.

Have you ever used the tamper proof screws in electrical work man I have and they suck because e the bits are so fragile

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Fragile tamper proof screws. Gee, whats wrong with this picture? Its like when they made a padlock which people could break with a sledge, WTF? I want a lock so powerful you'd have to cut it with a cutting torch, in which case, I will know your there screwing around. And if the screws are supposed to be tamper proof, then build them like fort knox and be done with it. I swear, as technology gets better, other things get worse, human nature I guess.

They are strong it's just the bits are expensive and wear out to fast that you use to put them in

Have you ever used the tamper proof screws in electrical work man I have and they suck because e the bits are so fragile

What style of screws are you talking about?? I have a security screwdriver set that has all different types, I will post a pic tomorrow of it. Some are fragile and just plain stupid.

I'm not a Milwaukee fan and I know the first gen was horrible, but I never tried them for myself so I decided to give the second gen a shot. So it sheared in two pieces on the first screw which was a 3 1/2 inch deck screw which was 3/4 of the way in. It broke right where the red starts from the 1/4 hex side, I wish I would have taken a picture of it but I was pissed and threw it into the trees. I guess it was just a lemon but on the first screw damn.

This kit has a lot of different bits, I would say the fork type bits are the worst when it comes to removing screws.

• Like 1

I've been using these past couple days driving tapcons though furing strips into block and haven't broken one yet. They are definitely better than the first gen but I need to use then more to get a good idea of what they can take. I'm just happy they don't round over like the gen1. Also they fit the screw much more snug, reduces wobble. Remind me of the newest dewalt bits.

I've been using these past couple days driving tapcons though furing strips into block and haven't broken one yet. They are definitely better than the first gen but I need to use then more to get a good idea of what they can take. I'm just happy they don't round over like the gen1. Also they fit the screw much more snug, reduces wobble. Remind me of the newest dewalt bits.

Which Dewalt bits are you referring too??

• 1 month later...

I needed a 6 inch Philips 2 and 3inch square drive bits so I figured I'd try the new Shockwave 2's and they seen vastly improved. The new ones seem to have a rougher more durable oxide finish and don't get chewed up so fast so they are definitely a huge improvement in my opinion. I haven't used them enough to tell how they will hold up long term comparatively to other makes but they seem to pass the initial impression test well and at the very least they don't seem like throwing your money away like the old shockwaves, although the first ones were so soft they seemed like they'd be good for stainless fasteners or softer metals as the bit would wear more than the screw head so they at least sacrificed themselves for a good cause...