JET JDP-17 Drill Press

Conductor562

Well, after nearly breaking my wrist (literally) drilling 1/2" holes 1/4" thick pieces of 4" angle, the time has come to bite the bullet and order my press.

I got several suggestions including HF, Steel City, Powermatic, and Jet.

The Powermatic was out of my price range.

The press will be used in wood and steel applications, so the minimum rpm of 500 was the deal breaker for the otherwise best deal Steel City. I like to punch holes in Steel around 200 rpm or so for thicker gauge stuff. I properly lubricate when drilling metal, but 500 rpm is still too high IMO.

Then in stepped the Jet JDP17. It instantly won me over with its reasonable price, re-designed form, motor, body, and super easy speed changes. It's also got the adjustable LED light and the X act laser. Jet also boast excellent customer service and they aren't stingy with their 5 year home shop warranty..

It should arrive in the next 2-3 days. I can't wait. I've wanted one of these for years!

http://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/17-drill-press/716300

I also ordered a starter set of Norseman Mag bits in large sizes:

http://www.harryepstein.com/index.php/norseman-4-pc-big-drill-bit-set.html?gclid=CPT3-_vUjMgCFQooaQodHC4BoA

Like I said this summer, I'll not have to go to a machine shop to have a hole drilled EVER again!

looks like a sexy lookin drill, it's one of those things that are invaluable to any kind of work shop....I don't have a need for a large drill press for what I do so I have a small bench top...... I don't use mine everyday but when I do need it ....it pays for itself each and every time.....

That was one of the things I liked about it Jason. It's fairly new and up until recently Jet still listed the previous model on their website.

The work light, dial depth stop, and belt tensioner are all new features. I really liked the XL table and the fact that it has a full 5" quill travel. They basically took the older model and made it more like the Powermatic.

I've had a 12" HF benchtop model for probably 10 years, but it's pretty much shot. Now I have to figure out where I want to put this big bastard

I spent another $35 on a 7/8" Norseman bit as it is a fairly common size on farm equipment. Cat 1 lift pins are 7/8" and with the set I bought going to 1", I should have about all bases covered.

Next up is a Wilton CS4 to mount up to it. Gotta love Wilton!

That was one of the things I liked about it Jason. It's fairly new and up until recently Jet still listed the previous model on their website.

The work light, dial depth stop, and belt tensioner are all new features. I really liked the XL table and the fact that it has a full 5" quill travel. They basically took the older model and made it more like the Powermatic.

I've had a 12" HF benchtop model for probably 10 years, but it's pretty much shot. Now I have to figure out where I want to put this big bastard

I would put that sexy beast in the living room just so I could stare at it.

Our sign fab shop has an older Jet and that thing has had a rough life and it still runs like a champ.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I almost bought one of the Fein drills too, but believe it or not I actually talked myself out of it. Nice drill for a great price though.

I'm the same way on the look of the tools. It's just nice to see a tool that you can tell is a workhorse and is still running just fine, but then again there is just something about a brand new tool that gets me everytime.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Nice drill press. I want one badly but don't have a dedicated shop. I just ended up buying a Milwaukee mag drill. It works great.

I was reading more about that jet drill press on their website, it looks like a great all around drill press.

Thanks Fletch. The Steel City press has a real following, but I just couldn't get past the 500 RPM minimum. It's not that you can't drill metal at that speed, I just prefer it slower for some tasks. I don't think I could have done any better for the money.

Looks like a great drill press Conductor. I like the low rpms on it and it seems to have a great warranty too. What are the specs for the motor?

It's a 3/4 HP 7 amp. Going up to a 1 HP 9 amp put's you up over $1000. I can't imagine myself ever needing more than what this one has to offer though.

I really wanted the Powermatic, but I just couldn't justify it.  

I totally get ya on the rpm. At work I always drill at a slower speed, even with oil. We got some good size drill presses an there all slower.

I got a millwakee 4270-21 kit an it's no load rpm is 450. I figured it would be a little fast but actually it's just right. Now that I've had it a few weeks I don't mind it. We have a few mag drills at work with a slower rpm then 450 an a few faster then 450.

The price was steep at almost 900 for the drill press kit, then 400 for a 9 piece annular cutter set. Then also bought a optional chuck for twist bits. It's starting to pay for itself, I took a side job I wouldn't of before. Part of it was to drill almost 80 wholes in several rails for some cattle chutes an stuff. Before I wouldn't of took the job at all, we're now I was able to do it. Before if I ever wanted a whole I would of had to drill with a regular electric drill, or plasma cutter. Problem is its next to impossible to get a round whole in small sizes with plasma when hand cutting an unless there real small hand drilling isn't possible either. Ime able to plasma cut larger round prices with a circle cutting jig just fine, but it's not ment for small wholes.

Ime still jealous of your new drill press. Ime sure its gonna come in great use.

Looked online. My only concern is that it seems to be a drill press for wood. Will be interesting to see if it holds up to long term thick metal drilling.

It specs the same as the entry level metal presses. The huge table is why it's classed as a wood press.

In some cases such as large bored in wood, spade bits, etc, wood drilling is actually more demanding than any metal drilling I'll ever do.

I've never smoked a drill in metal, even in 3/8" plate, but I've burned them up in wood. I can put 1/2" holes in 3/8" plate with a 12V drill, but I can't put a big spade in pine.

Steel is more a test of the bit than the drill

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When I arrived back from Jacksonville last night the press was waiting on me. I put it together today and started putting it through its paces.

Out of the box the chuck holder was broken. I'm not too concerned with it, but I'll have them send me a replacement clip.

Assembly was a bitch. Pretty straight forward, but I did it alone. Really could've used a hand putting the head on.

Functionally it's fantastic. The laser was easy to calibrate, speed changes are a breeze, and everything adjust about as easy as it can possibly be. The only design complaint is the that the tilt function on the table isn't tool-less. Not a big deal, and it's not something I'll use regularly, but I was a little surprised it required a wrench.

It's performance in wood is flawless. Even with a 2" Forstner it breezes right through. It's rated for up to 3/4" mild steel, but we're gonna need to do better than that. Curious of its limitations, I grabbed a 1" bit and a chunk of 3/8" plate and went for broke.

It did just fine for awhile, but at the bottom of the hole it became clear I was pushing it's capabilities. At normal drilling speed I tripped the overload. I knew I was pushing it, but wanted to see what it had. I went back at it easy drilling in 4-5 second bursts and as I started to poke through I flipped the workpiece to reduce side friction. Doing this I was able to complete the hole.

1" in 3/8" is no easy task. I wouldn't recommend doing it with any regularity on this press, but it is nice to know I can make it work in a pinch. 95% of the metal I drill is 1/4" or so and maybe 1 in 100 holes exceed 5/8", so I'm confident this press will accommodate my needs.

post-515-0-14436400-1443830348_thumb.jpe

post-515-0-26236600-1443830364_thumb.jpe

post-515-0-15162400-1443830381_thumb.jpe

post-515-0-20414800-1443830395_thumb.jpe

Well, after a seemingly excessive amount of work, the press has finally reached it final destination.

I decided on mounting it between garage door # 2 and 3. There was nothing there previously, it fits nicely in between, and it provided plenty of surrounding real estate in which to work. Very minimal impact to my current layout.

As I previously mentioned, that area does get occasionally wet in a heavy rain, so a mounting base was essential. I built a tapered rectangle base to conform to a press' footprint out of 2" angle. The base bolts to the floor via concrete anchors, then the press bolts to the base via 2 welded studs.

As mentioned in my other thread, the chop saw blade blew up in my face. My driveway looked like Omaha Beach, but we made it.

Welding and paint went flawlessly.....The FIRST time.

My next mis-step was the mounting studs. I measured the length needed at 3-1/4" and quickly welded up 3-1/4" bolts. Having not accounted for the thickness of the 1/4" angle they were running through, I came up a little short. Story of my life.

Having already primed and painted the damn thing before this dawned on me (but thankfully before I mounted it) I had to cut the welds, replace the studs, and re-paint. Accounting for minimum dry time, I figure this was a 5 hour fuck up.

My next blunder was running an entirety new outlet especially for the press. I cut out the hole, fished the wire from the attic above, and promptly broke the last remodel box I had