Building a workbench with neighbor kid

WeldfabNeil

So the kid next door just turned 14 an loves making small wood projects an such. Sadly his Dad isn't in the picture an the the mom is limited in mechanical knowledge. She's a great mom thoe an does everything she can for him. He's really got some decent skills thoe for someone who learned everything from YouTube.

He has been wanting to build a nice workbench. Mom knows he can't quite build one on his own an she isn't sure how either. His birthday was yesterday an his mom gave him 300 to build a workbench an whatever else he builds or tools he buys. Only condition is he has to draw it out an build it with me. Mainly ime just sitting back an letting him do it but yet still their to guide him. Currently he only has basic hand tools an a corded drill. He is gonna get to use my power tools with me showing him how.

It's gonna be a interesting project. I built a wood workbench a while back an my wood skills are not the best but I know the basics. I mainly work with metal so it will be a change of pace.

I also am gonna give him some hand tools. I wish I knew before I moved cause I had a ton of extras that I sold cheap. Now I don't have as many but I still have some I can go without. I still gotta go through my truck an a few boxes to see what I can spare. I think If it helps a kid get into woodworking or any sort of trade it's worth it.

I will post pictures of the build as it progresses. It probably gonna take some time thoe because our schedules are completely different.

• Like 7

great post fletcher, hopefully the kid sticks with it and becomes a valuable tradesperson. with some guidance and youtube he can do wonders. im almost completely self taught on the fine woodworking skills and the basic construction of things came from my dad and uncle so they gave me a basic set of skills that I improved upon on my own with research. looking forward to seeing the results!

So the kid next door just turned 14 an loves making small wood projects an such. Sadly his Dad isn't in the picture an the the mom is limited in mechanical knowledge. She's a great mom thoe an does everything she can for him. He's really got some decent skills thoe for someone who learned everything from YouTube.

He has been wanting to build a nice workbench. Mom knows he can't quite build one on his own an she isn't sure how either. His birthday was yesterday an his mom gave him 300 to build a workbench an whatever else he builds or tools he buys. Only condition is he has to draw it out an build it with me. Mainly ime just sitting back an letting him do it but yet still their to guide him. Currently he only has basic hand tools an a corded drill. He is gonna get to use my power tools with me showing him how.

It's gonna be a interesting project. I built a wood workbench a while back an my wood skills are not the best but I know the basics. I mainly work with metal so it will be a change of pace.

I also am gonna give him some hand tools. I wish I knew before I moved cause I had a ton of extras that I sold cheap. Now I don't have as many but I still have some I can go without. I still gotta go through my truck an a few boxes to see what I can spare. I think If it helps a kid get into woodworking or any sort of trade it's worth it.

I will post pictures of the build as it progresses. It probably gonna take some time thoe because our schedules are completely different.

Good for you, it's heart warming to hear stories about helping kids especially from parents that are not involved. If your interested I have a 18v craftsman cordless drill, it's only a 3/8" chuck and NiCad, but it's something. Message me if you would like this for him I'll send it to you guys. Keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I was in a similar situation as a kid with a single mother. I had a neighbor that taught me how to use tools and get interested in building things around the house. Norm Abram from this Old House and New Yankee workshop also helped :)

I was in a similar situation as a kid with a single mother. I had a neighbor that taught me how to use tools and get interested in building things around the house. Norm Abram from this Old House and New Yankee workshop also helped :)

I was the child that would watch New Yankee workshop over Saturday morning cartoons, still watch what I find online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome stuff Fletch and good for you! Drop me a PM and I'll see if I can round up some tools for you to give him. I've got some miscellaneous stuff in my shop and I'd love to help.
  • Like 4

Awesome awesome Fletcher he will always remember u for that man! Make sure u rite both ur names and the date somewhere on there trust me when he or u look back on that its a special memory to remember.

That's a good idea, maybe even write a little note hidden where he might never see until he's old and grey...a "You are a good kid, keep up the hard work" kind of note may bring a man to tears. I kind of stop and get a little choked up when i find something with my Dad's handwriting on it, let alone a note. 

That's a good idea, maybe even write a little note hidden where he might never see until he's old and grey...a "You are a good kid, keep up the hard work" kind of note may bring a man to tears. I kind of stop and get a little choked up when i find something with my Dad's handwriting on it, let alone a note.

. Yes sir I know the feeling my Causin helped me with my first bench he's actually the one who got me hooked on TIA back in 2011 and well he passed away in 2012 :( but it makes me smile when I see our signatures and the date we built them :)
  • Like 2

As always, thanks for the great responses.

I am gonna message both Chrisk an jimboslice.

We haven't started yet. I work nights an have been doing a lot of overtime lately. Then he goes to school in the day when Ime off. He has sent me some pictures thoe. I am off Thursday so we're gonna start then probably.

The space he has is almost 8x8'. He is having a hard time matching materials to his needs. He wants 6x6 legs with 4x4s as a top. I explained that it's a little overkill. He could do it but is it necessary? He could build workbench differently an still have money leftover for tools. He wants it to be a L shape basically in the corner an that's a good idea I think. He's got some good ideas thoe.

Way to go Fletcher awesome stuff. This is a great way to pass some skills on the the younger generation. Most kids these days don't know what end of a hammer to hold. Shot me a pm I know I have have some stuff you can pass on. 

• Like 2

Well guys the project was short lived. His grandma bought him a workbench. He was deffinitly bummed he didn't get to build a workbench. He didn't want to say no to a present from grandma thoe. We put the thing together today. It is a kobalt brand workbench, it doesn't seem half bad. Wouldn't want it myself for welding but starting out in woodworking it's not bad. It's perfect height for me but a little tall for him. It won't take long for him to grow into it thoe.

In place of the disappointment were gonna build other stuff. I will post a thread with a few questions for our next project shortly thoe.

That really stinks man. I'm sure his grandma was just being nice but I feel bad for the kid. It would have made for a pretty cool memory getting to build your own work bench. Keep us posted on your first project!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk