New Home Owner - Question

fiftysix562003

Hey guys!

Starting following via youtube and ended up here! Quick question on 1st home owner & power tools.

Situation: I am a new home owner and wanted to treat myself to a new combo set for Christmas, but not sure what brand to venture into.

(which of the 4 is the best impact for lug nut removal, if I buy the adapter).

Which of the following links would you recommend?

Ridgid - $159 - Home Depot Combo Kit

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Drill-and-Impact-Driver-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-R9602/205762719

DeWalt: - $199 - Home Depot Combo Kit

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Volt-Max-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Combo-Kit-with-Tough-Case-2-Tool-DCKTS240C2/205467726

Powercable- $298 - Lowes Combo Kit

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=672797-34252-PCCK617L6&catalogId=10051&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=50413000#BVRRWidgetID

Powercable- $159 - Lowes Combo Kit

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=234292-34252-PCCK602L2&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=4751832&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Thanks,
Steve

From I've used of the rigid impact it's great with moderate use. If you use for an extended period of heavy use it can get quite hot, to the point it's hard to hold. Just a matter of your intentions. If it's something to use around the house it's great, for work use it may not be enough in certain trades. The prices are great with Ridged and you still get a lot of options for expansion into other tools.

Steve, first off welcome to the forum. I wouldn't get any of those tools for "lug nut removal". You really need and Impact Wrench to perform that kind of work. All of those sets are great for home repair, building decks etc and Ryobi is a great cost effective tool also but in the long run if your popping wheel lugs you really need to use an impact wrench. Currently for that type of work I have this one.....

http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=IWHT180-01

If your looking for really rugged tools to perform general repairs and carpentry all of those brands are great and Ryobi probably has the largest line of tools out there. Currently, I'm running Dewalt 20v for my hammer drill and circular and couldn't be happier.

Steve, first off welcome to the forum. I wouldn't get any of those tools for "lug nut removal". You really need and Impact Wrench to perform that kind of work. All of those sets are great for home repair, building decks etc and Ryobi is a great cost effective tool also but in the long run if your popping wheel lugs you really need to use an impact wrench. Currently for that type of work I have this one.....

http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=IWHT180-01

If your looking for really rugged tools to perform general repairs and carpentry all of those brands are great and Ryobi probably has the largest line of tools out there. Currently, I'm running Dewalt 20v for my hammer drill and circular and couldn't be happier.

20v Dewalt is great but minus the impact wrench a 12v Milwaukee set could satisfy your needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The new Dewalt brushless impact wrench is probably one of the best impact wrenches out right now. Also the kit you linked before with the toughbox has the low end Dewalt drill. This is the higher end brushed model the other one is used in the cheap $89 dollar kits around the holidays.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Volt-Max-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-DCK280C2/202922366

This one is probably fine just for lug nuts.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Volt-Max-Lithium-Ion-1-2-in-High-Torque-Impact-Wrench-with-Detent-Pin-Tool-Only-DCF889B/203316400

If you looking to do more work on cars you might want the new brusheless even though its expensive it has much more power and is a lot smaller

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Volt-Max-XR-Lithium-Ion-1-2-in-Cordless-Impact-Wrench-Kit-with-Detent-Pin-Anvil-Tool-Only-DCF899B/206159781

Agree with ChrisK1970 regarding wheel lugs.....get a 1/2" impact, many to choose from. Regarding the combo kit, I would consider the Ryobi, they have a large line and of good quality and fairly priced!. If your not concerned so much with budget and want to start off with better then look at the big four brands, Milwaukee, Makita, Dewalt or Bosh. Me personaly I like Milwaukee, between there M12 & M18 lines I have just about everything I would ever need from cordless tools.

Ryobi is a nice option the tools are reasonably prices they have outdoor lawn tools, and a big bonus is they have the 2 pack battery deal on tool buying holidays. You can get a 2 4.0ah battery packs for 99 dollars or cheaper when they go on clearance.

The six piece ryobi kit covers pretty much all the bases except an impact wrench.

For the Home Owner, you cant go wrong with any of the tool brands mentioned here. DeWalt and Rigid make some excellent tools. My vote however would be to go with Ryobi. Ryobi is priced very well, the quality is great for occasional use, they have a large amount of tools. 

Steve welcome to the crew and Big congrats on the new home!! All the brands u mentioned really good brands u can't really go wrong with either but if your looking for a good impact wrench I would start by looking at milwaukees line for impact wrenches i have there fuel 2763 1/2 impact wrench that I carry in my truck all the time for lug busting and I also have there m12 3/8 impact wrench which I really am proud of owning and for my around the house and wood working tools I'm invested into the Dewalt 20v line which has been really good to me and they also have a sweet 20v blower and weed wacker that's perfect for any homeowner to add to there tool collection, Hopefully u don't go to crazy looking for a tool line to get into they're all great at the moment.good luck!!

I have the Porter Cable 20v max line(almost the entire line) and they are great tools,they have good power,nice balance etc and are fairly priced. The rest of my stuff is Bosch. Ryobi has a huge line of tools to choose from and they are on sale often.

If you wanna remove lugnuts you need an actual impact wrench there are cordless ones out there that can do the job. Or loosen with lug wrench first then use your other one.  A 1/4 hex driver just isnt gonna have that kind of oomph needed.  if you find one that takes 7/16 hex bits it might but

i wouldnt chance it.

I am going to have to agree with several people above and say Ryobi. For the amount of tools they have, their price point, and quality they are worth a serious look. I have a couple of their 18v tools and I have been very impressed. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the brands previously mentioned, I just think Ryobi is going to give the homeowner or occasional DIY person the best bang for their buck.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I've had bad luck with Ryobi, the batteries fail and have to be "shocked" back into taking a charge.

I'd consider Black & Decker or Rigid mostly because of their cost and selection of tools. B&D sometimes gets a bad rap from professionals but for the above average skill set homeowner, they're great.

I've had bad luck with Ryobi, the batteries fail and have to be "shocked" back into taking a charge.

I'd consider Black & Decker or Rigid mostly because of their cost and selection of tools. B&D sometimes gets a bad rap from professionals but for the above average skill set homeowner, they're great.

Agree, my first cordless set was ryobi and I dropped it like a bad habit, picked up a little black and yellow and it's worth it. Ryobi just feels like as many corners are cut as possible.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

As others have said, if you are planning to remove lug nuts I would reccomend an impact wrench. I use this one since I am part of team Ryobi. I would say they are the best out there in terms of value, especially if you are not a person who uses your tools everyday. I have used the impact wrench and it took off the lug nuts on my car without issue. When it comes to the impact wrench alone I would especially reccomend Ryobi over Ridgid because (feel free to prove me wrong) I believe the Ridgid impact wrench is just a rehoused and rebadged Ryobi one, and it costs $20 more. I have compared them side by side and they look nearly identical except for the color.

As others have said, if you are planning to remove lug nuts I would reccomend an impact wrench. I use this one since I am part of team Ryobi. I would say they are the best out there in terms of value, especially if you are not a person who uses your tools everyday. I have used the impact wrench and it took off the lug nuts on my car without issue. When it comes to the impact wrench alone I would especially reccomend Ryobi over Ridgid because (feel free to prove me wrong) I believe the Ridgid impact wrench is just a rehoused and rebadged Ryobi one, and it costs $20 more. I have compared them side by side and they look nearly identical except for the color.

They are cousins, the thing about rigid is that they have the lifetime service agreement/warranty on them that would make them stand up against the ryobi. Not knocking on ryobi, I have their jig saw, though I'm not a fan they are not bad tools. But rigids warranty is pretty attractive.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...